WFX Nashville Live Sound Int. Speaker Demo

Re: WFX Nashville Live Sound Int. Speaker Demo

If you accept Ivan's assertion that only the cancellation zones can be manipulated, but not their corresponding summation zones that might be true. I think the evidence of the relatively successful implementation by multiple manufacturers says otherwise. I think the hallowed immutable laws of physics say so as well. There is no moving of cancellation without a move of summation.

There is no horizontal control, only vertical. Horizontal coverage is changed by hanging another array.

Mac

Good info Mac. It certainly makes sense that there is summation just like any other line array. Good to know that Anya/Anna is only controlling vertical in a single hang. I assume a 2x or 3x hang will give horizontal control?

Re: WFX Nashville Live Sound Int. Speaker Demo

Provided that the size of the transducers, the distance and delay between them is small relative to the frequency they are delivering, phase cancelation will be comparatively minimal.

If this did not happen then the multiple points of entry in the mouth of Danley horns would not sum correctly.

If you look at their SBH 20 - it's physically a line source where the delay is added mechanically (distance to the transducers) to curve the wave front. It’s done smoothly so there are no steps in the delay function and the result a slightly curved wave front with a focal point way behind the box. Anya is more or less doing the same thing electronically, but with small steps. Provided the steps are small enough relative to the frequency and spacing it all works.

I suspect at large steered angles it will all start to fall apart, but within the design goals I’m sure it works.

Ivan likes to talk about ripples in a pond, so think in terms of putting a hair comb (lots of closely spaced point sources) in the pond an moving it back and forth. It will act like a line source because the point sources are close together and small compared to the wave length involved.

FWIW Martins MLA is not a beam steer Line Array. It will beam steer a little and it does look like a line-array but its operating principle is different.

These issues of phase cancelation are really 101 acoustic engineering and I’m sure Jeff and his team at EAW are well aware of all of this, as is Ambrose and the team at Martin.

FWIW I do own some DSA’s that I use for theatre applications … they sound wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator: