• Patchers

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Equipment Owners

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Warehouse Equipment Staff

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Re: Who's In Demand

Good system techs. I need a SE who can point the PA at the crowd, not the back wall. A guy who can align the whole system properly, and steer low end effectively. Someone who can make the transition from the main hang to front fills to outfills very smooth. Someone who can make it sound consistent everywhere in the venue. They're hard to come by. A lot of people can put a PA up in the air. Very few can do it well.
Evan

Sounds like you've described the install world as well. Everyone knows how to sell cheap stuff and 'make noise', few know how to do it well. Fewer still understand the additional expertise needed to go from production/tour to installation. From this hybrid background, I'll agree system techs are most needed.

A couple of thoughts.

For every vacant position, there are a handful of really suited and talented people without a job who are up for relocating.

The problems I see are with the recruitment process rather than lack of skilled workers.

That 2045 thing is nuts. They really want to live forever?!

Otherwise though, I think good system techs are probably hardest to come by. Next to monitor engineers then FOH.

*Good system techs: most people have no clue how to align a PA system. This goes from anything to setting the angles right on a line array (because a lot of people just love to use 0 degrees because they're either 1 lazy or 2 don't know how a line array is supposed to act) to aligning the entire system correctly. I'm sure everyone has a different way of doing this but
I usually align the line array to the drums, and align the subs to the line array.

*Monitor Engineers: Everyone thinks they can do it because they can push faders at FOH. Monitors are a bit more complicated than that. You have a hell of a lot more mixes, you don't what the musicians want, you have more feedback problems (unless working with IEM's), you have 4, or 5 impatient people yelling at you at once, and a lot of people can't use hand signals correctly or assume you can hear them yelling as they're playing. Just some reasons why monitors are more complicated. When working with a professional band some of those cancel out though.

*FOH engineers: Most people can push faders, but a lot can't do it well. Okay. Yea a good mix is again more complicated than that. I've noticed a lot of engineers, at least in my area don't like to hear anything besides kick, and bass, which IMO is not a good mix. There's many variables that come into a mix, stage volume, guitar players that can't leave their amp alone after sound check, badly designed venues, a system set up improperly, etc. After you overcome all of those, a lot of people don't know how to properly Eq anything, use compression, use gates, use effects, some people can't even make an already perfect mix sound good. Every sound guy has a different "perfect sound" to their mix. Every type of music needs a different type of mix as well.

Last edited:

I've noticed a lot of engineers, at least in my area don't like to hear anything besides kick, and bass.
I thought that was a problem reserved for the Junior Varsity level. I rarely go to see bands anymore unless I'm mixing - but maybe I'm the one who's whack for wanting to hear the vocals, not have my hearing damaged, and not wanting to hear it sound like a "boom boom" car driving by :?~:-?~:???: ?

I thought that was a problem reserved for the Junior Varsity level. I rarely go to see bands anymore unless I'm mixing - but maybe I'm the one who's whack for wanting to hear the vocals, not have my hearing damaged, and not wanting to hear it sound like a "boom boom" car driving by :?~:-?~:???: ?
I don't think you're whack, Ron. That is what I like to hear too. So that is how I typically mix. There is a time and a place for loud, but it isn't all the time. ;-)

Subtractive Mixing = What can you turn down because it is too loud? This is what I'll often do, as opposed to turning things up that you can't hear.