X32 and outboard rack....anyone use one

John McLeod

Freshman
Sep 9, 2015
New to the digital age and was wondering if anyone used a anolog eq on the digital board for quick on the fly adjustment for mainds or is this just a ridiculous question? ?

Re: X32 and outboard rack....anyone use one

New to the digital age and was wondering if anyone used a anolog eq on the digital board for quick on the fly adjustment for mainds or is this just a ridiculous question? ?

Hi John-

We have a couple of drive racks that have some analog stuff that can be used for L/R - dbx 160 comps and BSS DN360 graphic EQs. They haven't been used for L/R in at least a couple of years.

A lot depends on your comfort zone and work flow. If it makes you feel better to have a fast grab on EQ, take your outboards. Set them flat and use the console output EQ to do the bulk of the work. Eventually you'll leave the outboard rack at home.

Considering that you're only about 2 button presses away from accessing the graphic EQ on the X32, I don't see much of a speed improvement by having an analog EQ in the equation. Additionally, adjusting the main EQ is something that should rarely be done in a speedy fashion mid show anyway, so, no I don't see it as a viable solution.

Since I've switched to the X32, my FOH outboard has dwindled to absolutely nothing. Power and a cat 5 cable are just about all I need plugged into the board.

You'll have to pry my Minidrive 336 from my cold dead hands.
Yes I know you can do crossover in the X32 matrices but there's something reassuring about instant access to this vital function.
The rest I'm happy to leave to the X32.
M

Yes I know you can do crossover in the X32 matrices but there's something reassuring about instant access to this vital function.
M

I haven't used a graphic EQ since in got my X32's. It's a system EQ....I rarely touch the FOH EQ and the parametrics are enough for what I ever need. Plus, I want as many FX slots open for the great plugins on th X32.

M

I too would like a system processor. The crossover in the X32 works well but does not have all the bells and whistles as the old DCX2496 digital crossover. Yet The X32 crossover sounds better. What I would like to see is an updated DCX2496 to be competition to the DBX DriveRack PA2. With the iPad control, LR48 filters, and to go one better add Ultranet inputs.

As as for other outboard rack stuff, not interested. Everything is there and it takes up no room on the truck.

I was actually thinking about outboard system processing this morning.

I think as more FIR sees main stream lounge level use, the processor will still hg Ave irds place, just not for day of show adjustments.

I am comfortable moving eq to the digital board but will probably stick with crossover and tuning at the amp/processor.

Currently I still use a Sabine navigator for eq with my powered boxes.

Sent from my XT1254

M

+1. The console matrix outputs are no substitute for a proper system controller / processor.

Why are you adjusting your speaker crossover during a show? If you're using a Minidrive as a poor mans' Lake processor I can't think of a worse user interface to have to manipulate during a show, particularly compared to the X32 interface and capabilities. A good speaker system has no user adjustable parameters at all as relates to its performance and the console with a third octave plus a six band parametric on an output should provide all the tools needed to adjust the speaker output to suit the acoustic space du jour.

M

Why are you adjusting your speaker crossover during a show? If you're using a Minidrive as a poor mans' Lake processor I can't think of a worse user interface to have to manipulate during a show, particularly compared to the X32 interface and capabilities. A good speaker system has no user adjustable parameters at all as relates to its performance and the console with a third octave plus a six band parametric on an output should provide all the tools needed to adjust the speaker output to suit the acoustic space du jour.

+1 System tuning should be set once and left for the show, not adjusted mid show. If you need additional processing, that can live in the amp racks. It has no place at FOH.

+1. The console matrix outputs are no substitute for a proper system controller / processor.

YES....especially in a world of touch screen remote control.

On a x-32, while trying to tweak matrix EQ, an errant hand swipe turned off the matrix EQ, which turned off the matrix high-pass filter,.... which took out a couple of mid/low drivers.

I want x-over, protection, timing and phase alignment, independent of console...

I didn't see a mention of adjusting this crossover during a show. DriveRack PA2 has the option to adjust it with and iPad. During setup about the only DSP changes for me may be delay a bit depending on the venue.

Mark - you just made the best argument I've heard against using the X32 to do crossover functions for a system. Loading a scene that didn't have the correct settings for the matrix would be number two.

I didn't see a mention of adjusting this crossover during a show. DriveRack PA2 has the option to adjust it with and iPad. During setup about the only DSP changes for me may be delay a bit depending on the venue.

Mark - you just made the best argument I've heard against using the X32 to do crossover functions for a system. Loading a scene that didn't have the correct settings for the matrix would be number two.

M

I think the bold says it.

Mac

Sorry
I stand corrected. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. It is a vital function.

as for having it handy, I've always liked having the analog crossovers at FOH. In fact I've seen loads of very large sound companies who had them at FOH. Doesn't mean you are going to be changing things during a show.

I've always liked having the analog crossovers at FOH. In fact I've seen loads of very large sound companies who had them at FOH. Doesn't mean you are going to be changing things during a show.

I do the next best thing and connect to my ux8800s via wifi, monitoring the guest BE from lighting control world (where I take second seat)

20160307_094349.jpg

So can we hook up a anolog crossover at the FOH X32 and use the eithernet to the stagebox for the xover plugins or do we have to use a snake

View attachment 14302

So can we hook up a anolog crossover at the FOH X32 and use the eithernet to the stagebox for the xover plugins or do we have to use a snake

There is no direct way to interface an external device to the AES50 HyperMac snake/stagebox. You would use an analog drive snake.

I don't understand what you mean by "xover plugin".

Sorry
I stand corrected. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. It is a vital function.

as for having it handy, I've always liked having the analog crossovers at FOH. In fact I've seen loads of very large sound companies who had them at FOH. Doesn't mean you are going to be changing things during a show.
Eggs Ackerly - in fact it is SOP in this corner of the world.
Just the right place for it during setup (I said nothing about adjusting it on the fly mid show).
Handy to be able to see if any passbands are nearing the limiters.
M

Last edited: