X32 Discussion

--
From SFN Staff:
Please click "Reply" just below the post you are actually replying to.
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.36.55 PM.png

If you're posting about something X32 related that has yet to be discussed, please click "+Reply to Thread" at the top-left section of the page.
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.37.38 PM.png

For new topics, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum. If you have not already, please read through Sound Forum Network's Rules and Regulations.
Thanks for helping us keep this thread clean.
Thank you,
SFN Moderators
--

Ok, I will start this thread so we keep the X32 conversation out of the Q&A thread.

Christian, can you comment on the screen visibility outdoors?

Last edited by a moderator:
re: X32 Discussion

Ok, I will start this thread so we keep the X32 conversation out of the Q&A thread.

Christian, can you comment on the screen visibility outdoors?

To me it is as good or bad as many other newer digital desks with colour displays. The old 01V96 right next to the X32 has a monochrome display, that was indeed better readable in direct sunlight. We could made a direct comparison-->

On the other hand, we had just a "light" white sunroof above the X32 and you could still read out the most important parts of the X32 screen. The scribble strips can be adjusted in contrast from 0-100%, so they are actually quite good to read in a open air scenario. Even the illuminated buttons and the backlit of the LCD can be adjusted, what comes in handy, when working in a theatrical enviroment, where bright displays and buttons might be disturbing for the audience.
To sum it up: Yes, it is wise to bring a kind a sunscreen, when working in direct sunlight. But I do this with every other digital desk as well.

Christian

Hi Christian, thx for your infos^^
anyway did you try the x32 as a control surface for a daw? how it behaves with pro tools?
when the article you mentioned in the other thread will be out?
cheers!
Luigi.

Hi Christian, thx for your infos^^
anyway did you try the x32 as a control surface for a daw? how it behaves with pro tools?
when the article you mentioned in the other thread will be out?
cheers!
Luigi.

You're welcome:)~:)~:smile:
I tried to set up the X32 as a control surface for my SAC rig ( www.softwareaudioconsole.com ), but I was not 100% succussful, because SAC normaly needs a dedicated Midi-Template. Behringer is constantly working on new firmware updates, but there are only very few things left, that have to be implemented till the official sales date. Midi is one of them. It seems, that the X32 will have a Mackie HUI and a Mackie Control Midi Template, but by now only the Mackie Control Template is implemented. In addition, the board will feature various Midi in/outs (as hardware in/out on the desk itself, via USB slot and via the recording card as an embedded Midi signal through USB or FiWi). When I hooked up my small Acer laptop with Cubase, the Midi from the recording card was already there and working. So in the end I belief, it should be no problem to midi controll your DAW with the X32. You could even set up your own tranport control buttons (play, stop, rec. f.e.) with the user defined keys (Assign buttons).

@John:The X32 is announced for the 06.15.2012 by Thomann (big music gear retailer), but the price hasn't increased (yet) since the announcement. I don't know if it will, but I doubt. The Behringer guys told me, that the recording card is now onboard and not optional any more. In addition the X32 will come with a dustcover and will have new metallic fader caps.
I wrote the review for tools4music: tools4music and it should be available on the 30th of may.

@Sam: I don't have a spec sheet from Behringer concerning the X32. We did all measurements on our own with a NTI FX100
Flexus FX100
But I can't share them for obvious reasons. Sorry for that.
Christian

Last edited:

Hi Christian,
How is the sound quality of the X32 compared to the SAC rig with the ADA8000's?
-Eric

That's a hard task. I've done some gigs with the X32 and with my SAC rig with the same band, same microphones and same pa system. But I think it is like with a guitar player, who buys a new amp and after some tweaking he comes up with nearly the same sound as he had with his old amp:) It's hard for me to compare, because I use lots of VST Plugins like Drumagog, Waves DeEsser, FabFilter EQs, SPL Transient Designer and so on with my SAC rig. So it is other/different kind of sound right from the start. But I can do sound with both of them. By now I'm doing some experiments with the X32 and the LiveProfessor software ( LiveProfessor | ) and it is absolutly doable in terms of low latency (if you got a suitable PC with firewire) to use Drumagog with the X32 in a live setting! What I can say is, that for my taste, the build in Dynamics and Effects are really, really nice...way better than the Yamaha stuff for example. When we switched between the 01V96 and the X32 the difference in the quality of the FX was noticable for everyone. The L'Acoustics Kara is a fine PA system, where differences in sound quality becomes obvious. But "sound" is subjective, so you better form an opinion on your own. For my personal taste, the overall sound of the X32 ist really good and suits professional needs.
Christian

Christian,

Is it possible with the X32 to parallel channels, using different channel EQ and DSP for the monitor channels from the mains channels? If so, how many parallel channels is the X32 capable of?
Art

Christian,

Is it possible with the X32 to parallel channels, using different channel EQ and DSP for the monitor channels from the mains channels? If so, how many parallel channels is the X32 capable of?
Art
You can do that, every channel can be feed individual from various sources. You have 32 processed channels, any of these channel can recieve inputs dependend from what you set up in the "routing" set up. F.e. Local setups (XLR in 1-32), AES 50 inputs from the S-16 Stageboxes and Card inputs from your recording computer. You can switch these different signal souces in rows of eight. F.e. AES 50 input 1-8, Local inputs 9-16, card inputs 17-24 and so on. From this "pre decision" you can select inputs sources for you single channel individually. Jesus...basically it is quite simple, but I'm not a native speaker, so I'm struggling with the right words. Sorry for that.

Here is, what I did/do. Nomally, I just splitt vocal channels, when I'm doing monitor from foh. I rarely use dynamics in my monitorsound, that why I splitt my vocals to the additional eight Aux-channels on Layer 3. These channels have EQ but no dynamics (and no PreAmp, so the share gain with the "original channel"). This way you don't need to sacrifice any inputs channels on your first two layers (1-16, 17-32). If you don't need 32 channels for your show, you can use just unused "normal" channels as splitt channels for your monitorsound. I hope, you get the picture...
Christian

Last edited:

You can do that, every channel can be feed individual from various sources. You have 32 processed channels, any of these channel can recieve inputs dependend from what you set up in the "routing" set up. F.e. Local setups (XLR in 1-32), AES 50 inputs from the S-16 Stageboxes and Card inputs from your recording computer. You can switch these different signal souces in rows of eight. F.e. AES 50 input 1-8, Local inputs 9-16, card inputs 17-24 and so on. From this "pre decision" you can select inputs sources for you single channel individually. Jesus...basically it is quite simple, but I'm not a native speaker, so I'm struggling with the right words. Sorry for that.

Here is, what I did/do. Nomally, I just splitt vocal channels, when I'm doing monitor from foh. I rarely use dynamics in my monitorsound, that why I splitt my vocals to the additional eight Aux-channels on Layer 3. These channels have EQ but no dynamics (and no PreAmp, so the share gain with the "original channel"). This way you don't need to sacrifice any inputs channels on your first two layers (1-16, 17-32). If you don't need 32 channels for your show, you can use just unused "normal" channels as splitt channels for your monitorsound. I hope, you get the picture...
Christian

Christian,

Just confirming, if I understand the routing correctly, I can't assign input 7 to channel 7 and input 9 to channel 8 (since channels 1-8 are either assigned to inputs 1-8 or inputs 9-16, or...). Is that correct?

Thanks.

Branin

Umm...ok, I try again:)
First you need to set up the general inputs. These can be generated in the "routing" section. Here you can choose in rows of eight (channel processing block), what type of inputs the X32 in general should handle. F.e. Local input 1-32 (on the console itself), AES50 1-32 (inputs from the S16s), Card 1-32 (recording card) or a mixture of these. Maybe this pic helps-->

Now ANY(!) channel of the X32 can be feed with ANY(!) of these preselected inputs (source)!

I hope, it is clearer now:?~:-?~:???:
Christian

PMFJI...

i think i get it now. you have to select the physical inputs in blocks of 8, but then are free to assign those inputs freely to whatever channel you choose.

so, what you COULDN'T do would be to use local inputs 1-21 and AES inputs 1-19 to fill all 40 channels as the total inputs from each source are not divisible by 8. correct?

Christian
Very nice.
Have you by chance measured the latency of the console from in to out using EQ and dynamics?

so, what you COULDN'T do would be to use local inputs 1-21 and AES inputs 1-19 to fill all 40 channels as the total inputs from each source are not divisible by 8. correct?

Well that's a bummer. Hopefully that will change in future software builds. I find that the ability to re-route individual inputs to channels on digital desks is a great feature.

I'm looking at the back of the x32 pictures... all I see are xlr inputs. where are the inputs for keyboards, guitars, and bass...etc...?

Ahhh, this throws a late wrench into my summer plans. Was planning to purchase a small "digital" console in the next month, was leaning towards the SL24; but man this is so tempting that I may have to wait for some more reviews and weigh the pros/cons between the 2 consoles.

~Phil