X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

List of the FX? I hoping for complete ITB ability for me but may carry FX if needed.
How many graphic eqs and how are they implemented? Stereo pair, mono?

There are eight stereo FX engines, if you need one 31Band GEQ on every Mix bus (the X32 has 16), you can do that. There are two different styles of GEQs available, both useable as mono or stereo pairs. The X32 features also GEQ on faders (like the Yamaha M7 or Roland M400). Keep in mind, that every mixbus output features an additional six band fully parametric EQ as well. By now there are some different Reverbs, Delays, Modualtion effects build in to cover basic things you need to mix. But there is more to come in the future. For my taste, the build in reverbs are awesome. There is an emulation of the old EMT250 and the Quantec QRS, which sounds stunning to my ears. There are also some special FX, like a Transient Desinger, the Edison, guitar amp, precision limiter, enhancer, tube preamp, pitch shifter or a rotary speaker cabinet.

Last edited:

Quickstart guide with tec specs is online-->

http://www.behringer.com/assets/X32C_P0AAQ_QSG_WW.pdf

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the link - how soon until the full guide is available?
It certainly looks very intuitive and I particularly like the user assignable controls.
A couple of questions:
Can the view be set to follow the channel fader being used - without having to select the channel per se via channel select e.g if on EQ view can it be set to change to show a channels EQ if that channel fader is moved ( as well as using the channel select ).
Will there be an ADAT card available and if so how many channels - will it allow 32 in and 32 out? Will the X32 act as a word clock slave or master ( or switcable) for adat ?
is there a price for the optional cards yet?
Is there a separate word clock in/ out- can the X32 as either master or slave?
I realise it is primarily a live console but with the MIDI setup is there also a machine control page/controls (transport function with markers) for controlling an external device?
Presume there is no dynamic automation within the X32 SW itself

Nick

We need to see more demo with sound check in action :) ...some live mixing and some recording. It would sell a lot quicker if Behringer do a video demo for real situation and put it on youtube.

Any plans for a low-latency AES50 computer interface for the S16 box in the works?

The ability to use that box with a variety of applications would really fill a lot of needs... you could use it with the X32 when that fits the needs, but also use it for SAC, for a DAW with real low-latency monitoring -- it has the potential to be as much of a swiss army knife as the ADA8000 or the MX882 has become. But unfortuantely, the only computer interface to AES50 I've seen is the Lynx card, which seems to have problems when you try to get the latency too low.

@Nick: I have no clue, when the full manual is up. I'm just having one X32 here, because I have to write the 2nd part of the X32 for my mag. I hope, that I will get one S-16 in the next days for reviewing.
I'm afraid, I can't answer your other questions for sure. I'm in loose contact with Behringer, so I know just a little bit about the details. But all the questions here help me a lot to focus on my review.
By now the X32 has no touch faders, but I got word, that the official desks will have metallic fader caps. If this will involve touch sensitivity?...I doubt it.

There is also no ADAT, at least not in the first version and I'm not aware of other cards. At least the S-16 have ADAT outs. The desks comes with the recording card (USB & FiWi) with no extra charge. No word clock, but the desk can be setup as master or slave via USB or FiWi.
I think, you will be able to use the Assign buttons for setting up a machine control. And you are right, no dynamic automation an the X32.

@Sam: Here--> IMG_0337.MOV - YouTube are 42 seconds "X32-Live Action". Caught with my crappy mobil phone in mono and 64kbit lowest resolution:blush:

The video proves three facts:
1. It really works and it's real:)
2. There a lots of nice metering pages in the X32. In the video you can see the live inputs in the first row, gate thresholds in the second row and compressor gain reduction in the third row.
In addition every channel meter shows, if a Gate and/or Compressor is working.
3. Nobody is interessted in boring drum solos8)~:cool:~:cool:

@Jim: AFAIK not from Behringer, but maybe from a third party vendor. As a SAC user, I'm also interessted in this topic!

Last edited:

@Nick: I have no clue, when the full manual is up. I'm just having one X32 here, because I have to write the 2nd part of the X32 for my mag. I hope, that I will get one S-16 in the next days for reviewing.
I'm afraid, I can't answer your other questions for sure. I'm in loose contact with Behringer, so I know just a little bit about the details. But all the questions here help me a lot to focus on my review.
By now the X32 has no touch faders, but I got word, that the official desks will have metallic fader caps. If this will involve touch sensitivity?...I doubt it.

There is also no ADAT, at least not in the first version and I'm not aware of other cards. At least the S-16 have ADAT outs. The desks comes with the recording card (USB & FiWi) with no extra charge. No word clock, but the desk can be setup as master or slave via USB or FiWi.
I think, you will be able to use the Assign buttons for setting up a machine control. And you are right, no dynamic automation an the X32.

@Sam: Here--> IMG_0337.MOV - YouTube are 42 seconds "X32-Live Action". Caught with my crappy mobil phone in mono and 64kbit lowest resolution:blush:

2. There a lots of nice metering pages in the X32. In the video you can see the live inputs in the first row, gate thresholds in the second row and compressor gain reduction in the third row.

@Jim: AFAIK not from Behringer, but maybe from a third party vendor. As a SAC user, I'm also interessted in this topic!

ahh nice. THanks.

The X32 recording card uses a bridgeCo chipset and drivers from Archwave! The Prism Orpheus uses also Archwave drivers and the recordingcard on the X32 performes just superb.

This is a (yet another) VERY good thing. I'm really impressed.

I'm going to pick one of these up and give it a chance. For that price, I think I'd be crazy not to. Yep, hard as it is to say it, I am going to buy a Behringer mixer!

About the gain in your video. Can it be selected. Pre fade and dynamics. Post dynamics / pre fade and last post dynamics & fade?

Douglas R. Allen

About the gain in your video. Can it be selected. Pre fade and dynamics. Post dynamics / pre fade and last post dynamics & fade?

Douglas R. Allen

As far as I can see, the meters are showing pre fader levels. The EQs, Dynamcis and Insert tap points can be individually switched pre/post in the inputs channels, mixbusses, subgroups, matirx and main outs.
Christian

So this thing is primarily used for live show... why not go back to analog? I'm not seeing the benefit...it's too much like the presonus with "moving" faders. If you want to stick with Behringer, might just wait for their lower model, the iX3242USB should be able to do the live show. For recording, go elsewhere, since these mixers are not quite there yet. I don't know...you can even use cheaper boards for scratch and then use some quality stuff for recording each track. Is my logic wrong?

For some reason, I think the x32 will have a short life span as others bring out their stuff (like if presonus brings out their stuff with moving faders and current processors with the already robust softwares).

-------------------------------------------------------
btw, how do I unsubsribe to a thead?

Last edited:

Apologies Christian,

got confused and thought you were from Behringer!

It is a shame that there is no announcement for adat ( although I thought - maybe incorrectly- in earlier previews back in 2011 this was to be an option for the interface cards) - but a bonus for those who use firewire/usb I suppose - from my point of view it may be a killer as I use a standalone hard disk recorder with adat ( but no firewire) inputs - the only way would be to buy a converter box ( or indeed boxes) but this adds to the costs and the gear to carry - but with the current built in card they will undoubtedly cater for the majorities needs.
By the way are there any slots available for additional interface cards to the one now built in?

So this thing is primarily used for live show... why not go back to analog? I'm not seeing the benefit...it's too much like the presonus with "moving" faders.

Lets see........A gate and a compressor on each channel, amazing eq that would cost a fortune in analog, built in world class effects, recallability, remote control with an Ipad, all the reasons you would use any decent digital console. All that at about what I paid for my analog 24 channel Soundcraft board alone. It is like a bigger more deluxe version of the Presonus with moving faders but I am shure I would have been happy with a moving fader Studiolive.

Last edited:

@Nick: Although ADAT is all around, if you just want to multitrack a show, or do a virtual soundcheck, just just need a crappy laptop with USB. I recorded four hours of multitracks on my Acer One netbook, this thing has just a tiny intel Atom CPU. Runs flawless! Of course, I set the sample rate all the way up to unload the CPU. If you need realtime performance, you should use a decent computer (C2D) with an good Firewire card and go with firewire.

As a SAC user, I hope that someone develops a signal convertor from AES50 to ADAT/MADI or even DANTE. I belief, Behringer could sell an insane quantities of their S-16 stageboxes witch such a convertor.

Christian

Last edited:

This ones toward the behringer guys on here, Im in the UK, trying desperatly to find a distributer that will have an X32 in to demo when they are out, so far I've had no luck (as has been the case previously when trying to demo Behringer kit)
I've had responses from, no, sorry to, we can order one if for you to buy, to can we sell you a Presonus.
Im in the north of the UK (Leeds) if you can help at all.

So this thing is primarily used for live show... why not go back to analog? I'm not seeing the benefit...it's too much like the presonus with "moving" faders. If you want to stick with Behringer, might just wait for their lower model, the iX3242USB should be able to do the live show. For recording, go elsewhere, since these mixers are not quite there yet. I don't know...you can even use cheaper boards for scratch and then use some quality stuff for recording each track. Is my logic wrong?

For some reason, I think the x32 will have a short life span as others bring out their stuff (like if presonus brings out their stuff with moving faders and current processors with the already robust softwares).

the point of a digital mixer is to have all the goodies in one box Sam... instead of patching outboard gear which takes time, and uses connections that may or may not always work... "keeping it in the box" is where it's at these days to save time and effort. The debate these days , is how good everyone is "getting it" for sound quality and feature set... Read this forum and you'll begin to grasp what the point is.

Sam, to put it as nicely as I can, you are reeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllly missing the boat on this one.

BTW, to unsubscribe, click on "Thread Tools" menu, the option is available there.

Lets see........A gate and a compressor on each channel, amazing eq that would cost a fortune in analog, built in world class effects, recallability, remote control with an Ipad, all the reasons you would use any decent digital console. All that at about what I paid for my analog 24 channel Soundcraft board alone. It is like a bigger more deluxe version of the Presonus with moving faders but I am shure I would have been happy with a moving fader Studiolive.

For me no DCA groups and only 2fx are deal breakers on the Presonus. Using iPad and having no groups or mute groups could turn ugly in certain scenarios.

I realise it is primarily a live console but with the MIDI setup is there also a machine control page/controls (transport function with markers) for controlling an external device?

Just got a new firmware..and it works (with Cubase here)! You can controll the faders in your DAW with the X32 and vice versa. In addition you got machine control (play, stop, ff and so on) + record ready, mute, solo. And the coolest thing: You can switch between this Midi control Mode and normal Mode with just one button!