X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Confirmed! You can connect up to six(!) S-16 on one X32 with the two AES50 Ports, which gives you 96inputs and 48outputs.
The desk handles 40inputs, 16outputs at once though.
Christian,
is there a restriction with input patching when using both AES50 ports ?

And how do you feel about GEQ access by scrolling through, because I expected something similar to Digico.
The EQ could be divided into four sections, where one would push the corresponding knob under the screen for access.

Uwe

Last edited:

Christian,
is there a restriction with input patching when using both AES50 ports ?

And how do you feel about GEQ access by scrolling through, because I expected something similar to Digico.
The EQ could be divided into four sections, where one would push the corresponding knob under the screen for access.

Uwe

Uwe,

just look at the "Channel Processing Block Patch" pic I posted. You got four columns:

(Channel) inputs 1-8
Input 9-16
Input 17-24
Input 25-32
Aux in inputs 1-4

below is your possible selection, what feeds these input. When you just got the X32 and no S-16, you can choose for any of these columns as possible input:
1. the local inputs (the XLRs on the desk) in blocks of 8th: Channel 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32
2. The card inputs (from the build in recording card) in blocks of 8th: Channel 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32
3. When you got one or more S-16, they will appear in this selection as well in same form

Now on your desk: You can choose ANY of this inputs in ANY channel with the preselection that you made.
I'm sorry, I can't describe it any better. When you are one the console, it becomes instantly clear.

Concerning GEQ: You got one knob for sweeping through every single band/fader, if you push "GEQ on Fader", the 8 DCA faders become your GEQ-faders. The small channel LCDs show the corresponding frequenzy and by pushing the Mute button on one of DCA fader, the GEQ fader will be resetted, if needed. It is a bit different like on the Roland M400, but after a while (at least for me) quite intuitive and fast.

Christian

re concerning GEQ:

you didnt get my question
I was talking about GEQ on faders already, but now by scrolling through the area ( of the 8 faders ) you will never have the same frequency in the same place, if the GEQ would be divided in 4x 8 fader section, after a while, one would know the position of the frequencies.
more understandable ?

Funny, how both of us are struggling with the foreign language :)~:)~:smile:

Uwe

re concerning GEQ:

you didnt get my question
I was talking about GEQ on faders already, but now by scrolling through the area ( of the 8 faders ) you will never have the same frequency in the same place, if the GEQ would be divided in 4x 8 fader section, after a while, one would know the position of the frequencies.
more understandable ?

Funny, how both of us are struggling with the foreign language :)~:)~:smile:

Uwe

lol...sad but true:roll:
Now I got you, I don't know...did about 80 shows with the M400 and never got used to it (fixed frequencies+fader)...it is still "try&error" here. On the X32 you just turn the left encoder below the display and than you should NOT look at the EQ in the LCD, just look on the scribble strips on the DCAs. For me, it is fast and intuitive. But this is of course subjective, better build your own opinion on that.

BTW: I don't use GEQs often. I'm used to the FabFilter parametric EQ for mains & monitors and I use it with a mouse.8O~8-O~:shock: Way faster than any GEQ and way more precise. 31Band seems to be much, but for ringing out monitors, the iso frequencies are often to broadbent to my taste. Today I was playing around with a first version of the X32 remote-software and I'm very sure, that I won't use the build in GEQs at all. I like the idea of using the 6band prametric EQ (there is one in every output) instead and I will do it with a mouse or with a pen on my tablet PC. I'm used to that since the old Mackie TT24. The GEQs I would only need, when six bands of parametric EQ are not enough, which is also seldom here.
Anyway, I know, that this way of doing sound is disturbing for most other soundguys. But heh...what do you expect from a heavy SAC user?8)~:cool:~:cool:

Christian

Last edited:

BTW: I don't use GEQs often. I'm used to the FabFilter parametric EQ for mains & monitors and I use it with a mouse.8O~8-O~:shock: Way faster than any GEQ and way more precise. 31Band seems to much, but for ringing out monitors, the iso frequencies are often to broadbent to my taste. Today I was playing around with a first version of the X32 remote-software and I'm very sure, that I won't use the build in GEQs at all. I like the Idea of using the 6band prametric EQ (there is one in every output) instead and I will do it with a mouse or with a pen on my tablet PC. I'm used to that since the old Mackie TT24. The GEQs I would only need, when six bands of parametric EQ are not enough, which is also seldom here.
Anyway, I know, that this way of doing sound is disturbing for most other soundguys. But heh...what do you expect from a heavy SAC user?8)~:cool:~:cool:
Christian

Christian

8)~:cool:~:cool: Well, with my own rig, I am free of GEQ since some years
nevertheless I am also thinking of my customers, and Ive learned to accept every way of doing sound, if it sounds good in the end :)~:)~:smile:

Keeping the customer happy, is always wise. I think in a combat audio situation, GEQs are suitable weapons. If I'm not in a hurry, I will choose parametric before GEQ in nine out of ten times.
BTW: Where are you located Uwe?

Guys how would you compare the midas stagebox DL251 to the S16(x32) ?
Do they share the same preamps o_O ? Maybe the midas has a better powering stage?
What are the differences in the ad/da chips?
Since the DL251 has a redundant AES50 port, could the x32 manage it and gain the redundancy aswell?

Are the Adat outs on the S16 only for direct out or we can assign to them signals from the Board? (e.g. i have a dsp processor that has adat ins)

Sorry for all this questions, obviously i'm sold on the x32 :D (thx to u guys!) just evaluating if buying the DL251 is worth the extra money respect 2xS16...

thanks!!!

Last edited:

Uwe,

just look at the "Channel Processing Block Patch" pic I posted. You got four columns:

(Channel) inputs 1-8
Input 9-16
Input 17-24
Input 25-32
Aux in inputs 1-4

below is your possible selection, what feeds these input. When you just got the X32 and no S-16, you can choose for any of these columns as possible input:
1. the local inputs (the XLRs on the desk) in blocks of 8th: Channel 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32
2. The card inputs (from the build in recording card) in blocks of 8th: Channel 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32
3. When you got one or more S-16, they will appear in this selection as well in same form

Now on your desk: You can choose ANY of this inputs in ANY channel with the preselection that you made.
I'm sorry, I can't describe it any better. When you are one the console, it becomes instantly clear.

Concerning GEQ: You got one knob for sweeping through every single band/fader, if you push "GEQ on Fader", the 8 DCA faders become your GEQ-faders. The small channel LCDs show the corresponding frequenzy and by pushing the Mute button on one of DCA fader, the GEQ fader will be resetted, if needed. It is a bit different like on the Roland M400, but after a while (at least for me) quite intuitive and fast.

Christian

If I'm understanding this right, I don't think having a third stage box at FOH would help. Since the channels are patched in groups of 8, based on the picture and your explanation, it seems like one can only divide between two stage boxes (or the local inputs) in groups of 8. So, there's no way to have say 9 inputs at FOH, and have all the rest be available on stage. You'd have to assign 16 inputs to FOH (wasting 7,) and only have 16 (or 24 counting the Aux) available at the S16s on stage. Is this correct?

Hey, Bennet moved us where we belong,
will there be an LS9 section too,because the only hope left for LS9 owners might be some explosions midst gig,

Nate,
now that you are saying this,you seem to be right,
but there could be a work around with the Aux inputs, so you might get 12 inputs at the desk without an additional S16

@Nate&Uwe: Sorry, seemed that I was mistaken on both of you. It is possible, to use f.e. two S-16 on stage and one (or two or three) at the desk, without the need for a second Cat5 cable from stage to the desk. But the limitation due to the 8blocks is a fact. So you have to set it up like in the old M7CL or LS9 days. Use a copper core from stage and patch your twelve RF Mics directly at the console. Or do your routing like this-->

This way you got your Inputs 1-24 coming from the stage with AES50/S-16, Channel 25-32 are the XLR inputs on the console for eight of your RF mics and RF mics 9-12 twelve coming also through local XLR inputs on the console. The only downside is the restrictions of the Aux Inputs. They don't have dynamics, just EQ. But you could route the Aux inputs to one or more subgroups and compress them there, or you insert a limiter from the FX section, or route it to a dedicated bus and return it in a channel and compress it there. Or route more "uninportant" signals, which don't need dynamcis (f.e. keyboards, samplers, overheads) to the Aux inputs and place all RF mics somewhere in channel 1-32. Remember you got free channel input routing on the X32, always in dependency of your block patch (see pic)! Good thing is, if you choose a local input as feed for your Aux in, the Aux in now has a mic pre. The standard routing for the Aux inputs are the jack line ins on the console, they got just a digital trim (+/-12 dB). If you are fine, with just 16 channels from stage, there would be no limitations at all. Just connect your RF mics with local input 17-24 and 25-32 and you are up and running.

@Luigi: Sorry, I don't have any information about the Midas DL251. The only thing that I was told, the Midas and the S-16 are interchangeable. Besides that, I have to correct one thing concerning the Preamps. The X32 does not have a identical preamp design to a Pro02. The build in preamps are a Midas Design, custom made for the X32. Our measurements show, that they absolutly rock. I can confirm that by the gigs I've with the X32. If I remember correct, the ADAT outs on the S-16 are direct outs, so you can't adress them form the X32. At least I found no corresponding entries in the X32 routing section.

Christian

Last edited:

I can bring a Crest Xr-24 and some high-end outboard as a compact analogue comparator.

All long as it's free the SC48 will come. I'll try to put out a feeler on demos for the Si Compact and GLD.

I see that the X32 is not supposed to be in NA stores until the last week of July. I expect there will be a backorder, so I'm unlikely to have one by that early Aug gig date. Maybe we'll have to line something up for late Aug or Sept.

Thanks, Christian. That makes it clear. Hopefully they can address this limitation in a software update. Still, it looks like an impressive mixer.

-Nate

You're welcome:)
But I doubt, that this is possible. Everything in the desk is done (hardware like) in blocks of eight. But don't nail me down on this. Otherwise I'm with you, the X32 is still impressive, particulary if you consider, that is has the same price tag as a Yamaha 01v96i (at least over here).
Christian

Last edited:

You're welcome:)
But I doubt, that this is possible. Everything in the desk is done (hardware like) in blocks of eight. But don't nail me down on this. Otherwise I'm with you, the X32 is still impressive, particulary if you consider, that is has the same price tag as a Yamaha 01v96i (at least over here).
Christian

I agree. usually when things are done in blocks of eight it's for hardware reasons. I wouldn't expect it to change

Jason

I guess it will be possible to hook up a DAW-controller like the DCF2000 and control a specific set of parameters from the controller, like allways having the faders and mutes for channel 1-8 on the controller regardless of which layer is selected on the mixer?
Silly maybe, but I would like to allways have the "panic" controls instantly available :roll:

Silly maybe, but I would like to allways have the "panic" controls instantly available :roll:

I use some dedicated mute groups as PANIC buttons. Just route all monitor Mixbus masters to one mutegroup and in case of a dramatic feedback, you just hit the Panic button and the feedback is gone. After that, you can take your time to "seek&destroy" the feedback culprit and unmute each monitor send one by one. I even do that on analoge desks, saved me a couple of times in the last 20 years:)
To me, no monitors for five minutes is better, than a "five minute feedback terror" on stage...

I use some dedicated mute groups as PANIC buttons. ...

Yes, mute groups are fine for that kind of panic. Feedback is only one of the possible panic situations, the worst one (or most frequent one that really annoys the performers and audience) being a silent money channel. Some shows we have five vocal mics up front to cover the different configurations during the show, (soloist, soloist with backing, trios, four-singer boy band etc.) I keep telling the singers to make sure they use the same mic as they did at the sound check, but that doesn't allways sink in, or they forget etc. Que music, singer grabs the wrong mike and I dive for the mute and faders on the clearly marked channels ( my fingers would normally already be there till I was certain everything was fine except when I'm busy with tweaking something else.
To ensure the smooth running of the show, my own mental well being etc. I would like to have this possibility to set up a fixed set of faders.
I guess it is not any different from running ShowControl via MIDI, and I guess/hope the X32 is capable of that too?
I realize that this is the kind of question that might not be answered untill the documentation comes out.

Presonus has the ability to recording channels, directly after mic preamp, to PC. Switch mixingmode and play all channels from PC
to each input channel and adjust all channelsettings while listening to whole mix. It's like mixing without a band.

Is it possible to do this for 32 channels on a X32?

Can You do it for 16 channels using a hard drive connected to USB on the card.

Yes, mute groups are fine for that kind of panic. Feedback is only one of the possible panic situations, the worst one (or most frequent one that really annoys the performers and audience) being a silent money channel. Some shows we have five vocal mics up front to cover the different configurations during the show, (soloist, soloist with backing, trios, four-singer boy band etc.) I keep telling the singers to make sure they use the same mic as they did at the sound check, but that doesn't allways sink in, or they forget etc. Que music, singer grabs the wrong mike and I dive for the mute and faders on the clearly marked channels ( my fingers would normally already be there till I was certain everything was fine except when I'm busy with tweaking something else.
To ensure the smooth running of the show, my own mental well being etc. I would like to have this possibility to set up a fixed set of faders.
I guess it is not any different from running ShowControl via MIDI, and I guess/hope the X32 is capable of that too?
I realize that this is the kind of question that might not be answered untill the documentation comes out.

I got you, but sorry...I don't know, if it is possible.