X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Presonus has the ability to recording channels, directly after mic preamp, to PC. Switch mixingmode and play all channels from PC
to each input channel and adjust all channelsettings while listening to whole mix. It's like mixing without a band.

Is it possible to do this for 32 channels on a X32?

Can You do it for 16 channels using a hard drive connected to USB on the card.

Sure, you can do virtual soundcheck with up to 32 channels. No problem. The USB recorder is only capable of doing a 2track recording. You can use the USB on the build in recording card, but you imho need a DAW software (like Presonus StudioOne Free) for record and playback to do so. I don't think, that the possebility to track right to an USB hardware/stick without any recording software is given. I know it was in discussion in the early days of the X32, but I can check back with the Behringer boys:)

Sure, you can do virtual soundcheck with up to 32 channels. No problem. The USB recorder is only capable of doing a 2track recording. You can use the USB on the build in recording card, but you imho need a DAW software (like Presonus StudioOne Free) for record and playback to do so. I don't think, that the possebility to track right to an USB hardware/stick without any recording software is given. I know it was in discussion in the early days of the X32, but I can check back with the Behringer boys:)

Behringer home page tells this about the card slot:
"It will even support standalone 16-channel uncompressed multi-track recording to an attached USB drive—without requiring a computer!"

But it don't describe if it's pre/post channel gate/eq/comp and nothing about playback.

Behringer home page tells this about the card slot:
"It will even support standalone 16-channel uncompressed multi-track recording to an attached USB drive—without requiring a computer!"

But it don't describe if it's pre/post channel gate/eq/comp and nothing about playback.

I think the Behringer site is still in progress. Fact is, on the desk here, the USB port is just used for remoteting the desk. The USB recorder handles only 2tracks. So you have to go with the build in recording card. And I don't see any problem to use just that. Download" Studio One Free", and make a default setting for recording and go. Recording straight to harddrive is just slightly faster due to shorter setup time, but you can't controll the recording process during the show anyway. Maybe this feature will be added later with an update, but by now, I don't see it here. Maybe I oversee something here...we will see, when the full manual is up.
Christian

I think the Behringer site is still in progress. Fact is, on the desk here, the USB port is just used for remoteting the desk. The USB recorder handles only 2tracks. So you have to go with the build in recording card. And I don't see any problem to use just that. Download" Studio One Free", and make a default setting for recording and go. Recording straight to harddrive is just slightly faster due to shorter setup time, but you can't controll the recording process during the show anyway. Maybe this feature will be added later with an update, but by now, I don't see it here. Maybe I oversee something here...we will see, when the full manual is up.
Christian

anyone able to compare x32 to the Tascam dm-3200 in terms of recording? anyone used the old tascam before?

Hmmm...i've talked with the sales department of texim (Midas ITA distributor) and they told me that there could be problems hooking a Midas DL251 to the x32...
first of all that the gain control would not work directly since the protocol is written for the midas desks...so one should use a remote pc to set the gains.

Second that there could be issues with the latency control, since the x32 can't know the latency of the stage box...
anyway imo this isn't a problem since if the x32 in coherent in his internal processing, adding a fixed unknow (low) latency at all inputs and outputs should be ok.

What are you guys thinking about this?

Hmmm...i've talked with the sales department of texim (Midas ITA distributor) and they told me that there could be problems hooking a Midas DL251 to the x32...
first of all that the gain control would not work directly since the protocol is written for the midas desks...so one should use a remote pc to set the gains.

Second that there could be issues with the latency control, since the x32 can't know the latency of the stage box...
anyway imo this isn't a problem since if the x32 in coherent in his internal processing, adding a fixed unknow (low) latency at all inputs and outputs should be ok.

What are you guys thinking about this?

I was told by the Behringer R&D, that they are interchangeable...but since there is no S-16 available by now, we can't see for real if its works or not. I guess we have to wait a little more...

You're welcome:)~:)~:smile:
I tried to set up the X32 as a control surface for my SAC rig ( www.softwareaudioconsole.com ), but I was not 100% succussful, because SAC normaly needs a dedicated Midi-Template. Behringer is constantly working on new firmware updates, but there are only very few things left, that have to be implemented till the official sales date. Midi is one of them. It seems, that the X32 will have a Mackie HUI and a Mackie Control Midi Template, but by now only the Mackie Control Template is implemented. In addition, the board will feature various Midi in/outs (as hardware in/out on the desk itself, via USB slot and via the recording card as an embedded Midi signal through USB or FiWi). When I hooked up my small Acer laptop with Cubase, the Midi from the recording card was already there and working. So in the end I belief, it should be no problem to midi controll your DAW with the X32. You could even set up your own tranport control buttons (play, stop, rec. f.e.) with the user defined keys (Assign buttons).

@John:The X32 is announced for the 06.15.2012 by Thomann (big music gear retailer), but the price hasn't increased (yet) since the announcement. I don't know if it will, but I doubt. The Behringer guys told me, that the recording card is now onboard and not optional any more. In addition the X32 will come with a dustcover and will have new metallic fader caps.
I wrote the review for tools4music: tools4music and it should be available on the 30th of may.

@Sam: I don't have a spec sheet from Behringer concerning the X32. We did all measurements on our own with a NTI FX100
Flexus FX100
But I can't share them for obvious reasons. Sorry for that.
Christian

I see the review is up on Tools4Music, is there an English version of the review for the stupid people..?

Peace, love and flowers,

Sean

I was just at Guitar Center - Boston, picking up a few odds & ends. As luck would have it, my GC Pro account manager was calling me as I entered the store.... the Behringer rep just happened to be there, talking to my GC Pro rep about the X32. WITH a demo unit!

The rep brought the unit into the store and I played around with it for a good hour or so. Pre-amps are good... EQ sounded good, not great, but definitely not bad at all. FX units sounded very good.... the comps didn't crunch or distort when pushed hard. Overall footprint size was a bit bigger than I expected, but it's not 'too' big. Routing was easy, and really just about everything felt comfortable and fairly intuitive to this Analog board user.

Overall - I have to admit, for the price, I'm very impressed.

Recording straight to harddrive is just slightly faster due to shorter setup time, but you can't controll the recording process during the show anyway
Christian

Hi Christian,
this question may sound a bit naieve but I have no experience of recording directly to a PC ( only a standalone multi hard disk recorder ) - therefore does the the usb/firewire interface card come with some software/drivers to allow you to record multi's wave files direct to a PC hard drive - (which could then be loaded into a daw)? Or does the interface rely on a daw with appropriate drivers to handle multi track recording and playback?

( or did I misread your reply - was it in reference to the recording of a stereo mix - as studio one free only seems to handle stereo in and out)

many thanks

Nick

Hi Christian,
this question may sound a bit naieve but I have no experience of recording directly to a PC ( only a standalone multi hard disk recorder ) - therefore does the the usb/firewire interface card come with some software/drivers to allow you to record multi's wave files direct to a PC hard drive - (which could then be loaded into a daw)? Or does the interface rely on a daw with appropriate drivers to handle multi track recording and playback?

( or did I misread your reply - was it in reference to the recording of a stereo mix - as studio one free only seems to handle stereo in and out)

many thanks

Nick

The recordingcard comes with two drivers, one for USB and one for Firewire (like the RME UFX f.e.). Say you connected the X32 with a USB cable to your DAW computer. In your DAW software, you have to choose the USB driver and that's it. I know, that the X32 should feature straight to USB drive recording in the first place, but I think this feature was dropped due to the existence of a dedicated recording card, which is btw. way more powerfull. Anyway, I got a appointment with the Behringer guys today and I will ask them about this feature. In addition I will ask about the S-16/Midas stagebox topic. @Sean: My chief editior told me, that there might be a translated review soon. I keep my fingers crossed:)
Christian

The recordingcard comes with two drivers, one for USB and one for Firewire (like the RME UFX f.e.). Say you connected the X32 with a USB cable to your DAW computer. In your DAW software, you have to choose the USB driver and that's it. I know, that the X32 should feature straight to USB drive recording in the first place, but I think this feature was dropped due to the existence of a dedicated recording card, which is btw. way more powerfull. Anyway, I got a appointment with the Behringer guys today and I will ask them about this feature. In addition I will ask about the S-16/Midas stagebox topic. @Sean: My chief editior told me, that there might be a translated review soon. I keep my fingers crossed:)
Christian

@Christian thanks for the heads up really appreciated!

Have you had the opportunity to run VST's in a DAW using the X32, if so what is the latency like..? I would be primarily interested in using the X32 in a studio context. I await any enlightenment you can provide me with.

Kind regards

Sean :D~:-D~:grin:

Christian

Thanks - that seems very straightforward .

(I think the original spec was to record just 16 tracks to the usb i/f on the top of the console - the inclusion of the interface card allowing to record all 32 seems better - and also allows a separate stereo recording mix of the live show to the usb i/f - so may be best of both worlds!).

Just came back from the Behringer HQ. Very informative visit and patient people over there, constantly answering my stupid noob questions.
@Luigi: The Midas stageboxes need an firmware update to be 100% interchangeable, but hardwarewise it is no problem. Also the gain will be tracked between X32 and the Midas stagebox. No word, when exactly the update will come...it has not the highest priority. Sorry forgot to ask about redunancy:-( I was a bit in a rush.
@Nick: By now, the X32 does not have the straight to disk recording feature, BUT there will be an alternative card for the X32, which will has this feature! Maybe it will even feature 24 Track straight to disk recording...and it might have an additional cool feature, from I'm not sure, if I'm allowed to tell. Sorry about that, but you will get the straight to disk feature. But you need an harddisk (USB), it will probably not work with USB sticks.

Otherwise, there is already a new firmware update, but this update will be the one, which is build into the first arriving consoles (end of july). The added a new midi feature. You can assign midi commands to the assign buttons. So you can midi trigger midi gear on stage from the X32 at foh with user the defined buttons! The Midi is send over AES50 and can be connected on the S-16 midi ports. Concerning S-16...I got one!!! But only till next monday. I will do a live show with it on saturday, on monday I have to return this thing.
@Sean: This is one feature of the X32, that really blows my mind. I can get it to work with 48Samples and in addition the R&D is working on a special signalflow, with you can use the preamps in the X32-->send the signal over fiwi to your computer-->use any VST plugin-->and send it right back in the X32 channel! Imagine...you can use Drumagog, Waves DeEsser or as many SPL Transient Designer VST Plugins as you like with the X32 in combination with a potent PC on your gig. SAC User know, what I'm talking about...

Almost forgot, that they showed me the alpha version of the X32 iPad App. Looks really nice, good compromise between useability and feature densitiy. I like:)

Christian

Last edited:

Christian, if you can please video, and post your "use" of the console... every video I've seen SHOWS the console, but there is no video of the audio...
Even if it's you talking into a mic, and tweaking eq, and effects, performing routing, and showing gain changes etc... comp, gate.... let's hear this thing!!
Thanks
SP
(x32 and 2 x s16 on order)

Christian, if you can please video, and post your "use" of the console... every video I've seen SHOWS the console, but there is no video of the audio...
Even if it's you talking into a mic, and tweaking eq, and effects, performing routing, and showing gain changes etc... comp, gate.... let's hear this thing!!
Thanks
SP

I don't have a propper videocam, but maybe I could set someting up with Camtesia and using the Alpha version of the X32 Editor, that would at least show Channel Dynamics and EQ. The Effectsection is not accessable from this early Editorversion. Can't promise anything...maybe in a week or so.

Thanks
SP

Yeah, great audio on camcorders and cellphones. While I'm not predisposed to liking either this product or Behringer, I think such a vid, for the purposes of hearing the audio, would do it a disservice.