X32 Rack

Re: X32 Rack

My use case is that I have a band that I perform with and we mix from stage. I also occasionally do sound for friends who have bands as a favor.

I previously had a full rack full of gear and a MixWiz. I now have the X32 Rack, an 8 input DI, a power strip, and my IEM sends all in a 6 space roller rack that I can carry by myself.

When performing on stage, I have an iPad Mini that is clipped to my mic stand with this: http://www.parts-express.com/talent-iclaw-mic-or-music-stand-holder-for-apple-ipad--233-048

I bring a laptop to record all my gigs multi-track (for demos, videos, and review of how we sound). This laptop WOULD be the primary wired backup if I were to ever have any wireless issues, but in over a year, I haven't had a single problem.

On the subject of the inevitable comparison to the new Presonus RM32AI and the new Mackie DL32....

The verbs on the Mackie are reportedly the same as the DL1608 ..... which are just "OK" IMHO. The verbs on the X32 are much nicer. The Presonus verbs are better than the Mackie, but still not at the level of the X32 to my ears.

Furthermore, while I have never had any issues with the X32 Rack and wireless, many have had issues with the DL1608 and wireless. I would wait and see if these issues have been worked out.

Lastly, neither the Mackie or the Presonus are even close to the feature set on the X32 Rack. One good example was posted in another forum with respect to the gates. The X32 allows you to pick the key frequency that the gates will be triggered from. The Presonus and Mackie do not. Without this feature, your toms will be triggered by your cymbals (as an example). There are lots of features like this that are lacking in the Presonus and Mackie.

The only argument I have ever heard in favor of the Presonus or Mackie is that "you don't really need these features to get a good mix". Personally, that seems pretty lame to me.

Download the apps for each mixer and give them a test drive. Make sure to look for features you use frequently and see which one fits best for you.

Internet has got nothing to do with it, you need local network access. An iPad needs WiFi, a laptop can use either WiFi or wired network.
Ok. Thank you for the answer. I will always control mixer X32 rack with wired network from laptop, because that is better way and no causes a problems during shows.

So, if there is no internet acces I can't mixing via laptop or ipad, right?

Does a wireless mic need the Internet?

In a similar way, an iPad only needs to communicate wirelessly with the Rack. You must simply use a wireless router to communicate between the pad and the mixer. In a sense, you create your own "mini-internet" to which only you can connect...a secure private network for your use. Thousands of us use these setups every day.

I do have a 300' ethernet cable in the vehicle, though, but have never had to use it.

Ok. Thank you for the answer. I will always control mixer X32 rack with wired network from laptop, because that is better way and no causes a problems during shows.

If you use a good 5Ghz wireless router, you will have no issues with the X32 Rack IMHO. I haven't had any issues in over a year now. Many people I know have also not had any issues.

Still, if you are mixing on a laptop remotely, you could use the X32 Rack as a stage box and leave it on stage while running a Cat 5e cable to your laptop remotely if that is how you want to mix.

It is very convienient to roam around with a tablet though. Setting up the monitor mix and checking the sound at various points around the venue are prime situations where a wireless tablet is really a big plus.

Nothing is 100% foolproof. Several hundred feet of cat5 cable presents different problems than using your own wireless network. It does not guarantee zero problems, just different problems.

An Apple Airport Express works on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz...a dual band router. It also allows you to do music playback from an iPad via AirPlay.

Using todays digital consoles without using the wireless app makes little sense. You don't HAVE TO use it, but not having the capability of using it is kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

The presonus fat-channel includes an eq bandpass sidechain for its gate. The Q is fixed though. I would think it still exist in the rm-series.
Robert,

I just checked the documentation. The reason I was thinking that it didn't have it is that the 16.4.2AI doesn't have it (which is the only AI console I have physically seen). The 24 and 32 AI as well as the RM series include the key filter.

In the case of the presonus rm-mixers there is a huge audiable difference since you lose all of the output processing and half of your fx when you run at 96k :D~:-D~:grin:. I'm not sure how it will affect the ai-mixers but I assume that there is a similar limitation in place.

I doubt there will be a huge audible difference. 96kHz has not been rolled out yet for anyone to be able to tell.

I've been very happy with my x32 rack. I use it for smaller bands and events where space is an issue. As long as I have my scenes preconfigured and well thought out it really Is a breeze. I work with a lot of the same bands/ players / rooms , so calling up saved scenes really saves me a lot of time and work.

Not having faders and a control surface was a bit freaky at first but again as long as you have some good scenes preset its a breeze....

here is a pic of my setup , I think of it as a utility rack. I can do 4) wireless iem mixes with the carvin iem systems , and 4) passive monitor mixes , or stereo foh with bridge mono sub , or biamp tops , pretty much endless configs .... Plus sometimes I bring powered boxes .... I can cover a lot of gigs with just this six space rack. The inuke nu4-6000 is a very impressive little amp for the size , weight , and price. Very versatile ....

Cheers
nick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 0

Big THANKS for all people who help me. I'm on the beginning of my career, so I haven't any experience with rack mixers.
So, this is a cable for conecting laptop to mixer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0

These apple router has unconventional system for power.
Because I will not able to put this in carton, I would like conventional router.

Definitely, I must always carry with me X32 RACK mixer, router and laptop or ipad, and connect with cable laptop and router, and router connected via cable with mixer, right?
I saw that X32 rack have internal router, so maybe it isn't necessary to buy external router?

Definitely, I must always carry with me X32 RACK mixer, router and laptop or ipad, and connect with cable laptop and router, and router connected via cable with mixer, right?
I saw that X32 rack have internal router, so maybe it isn't necessary to buy external router?

Hello

X32R does NOT have internal router. So if you go wireless and laptop, then you need ethernet cable from X32R to router and second cable from router to laptop. If your router has antenna, that can be extended with cable, you can leave the router in rack with X32R and laptop and bring antenna up above audience - you need to have fairly free line between antenna and iPad, so bring it up high.

Right now I am using Apple router, which does exellent job, but I have to bring it up with all cabling, because it does not have external antenna jack - a bit hasle, but goes usually fairly easy.

The new X18 has built-in router and antenna, but if the antenna can be extended with cable, then you just raise the antenna - raising the whole unit is downright ridiculous, so if antenna is fixed, then it is clearly a unit to be controlled on stage with laptops and iPads - BEHRINGER ANYONE ???

I doubt there will be a huge audible difference. 96kHz has not been rolled out yet for anyone to be able to tell.
It was a kind of a joke. Hence the face grin 8)~8-)~:cool:.

What I meant was that since you lose the fat-channels on the outputs you can't sculpture your sound at the output sections anymore and that you only get to use one delay and one reverb. That is, for me at least, a pretty darn big limitation for live sound.

If the mixer only is going to be used as a recording i/o then it doesn't matter...

Robert,

I just checked the documentation. The reason I was thinking that it didn't have it is that the 16.4.2AI doesn't have it (which is the only AI console I have physically seen). The 24 and 32 AI as well as the RM series include the key filter.
Compared to the legacy models the ai-series all share the same features. However, due to the different mechanical layout of the mixers all functionality is not accessible via the actual console surface but only in the mixer remote software, aka VSL.

one example would be the mute groups that are only accessable on the 32ai. However all ai mixers have mute groups using VSL.