X32 Rack

Re: X32 Rack

Even if I cannot see a good reason why you want to do that and you cannot fulfill your needs with the Pan of the Stereo master, I see only one way to do that, even if it is a waste of Matrix Channels:
1. Create two stereo matrixes using the Link function in the home->config of the selected matrix. Now you maybe have linke Matrix 1 and 2 as well as matrix 3 and 4 to two stereo pairs.
2. On the Main Send page send with the same level the main signal to both stereo matrix pairs, probably post fade to allow you to use the main fader as well as the matrix faders.
3. send the output of matrix 1 to the left side amplifier and the output of matrix 4 to the right side applifier.
now you can control the level of left and right using the faders for matrix 1/2 and 3/4.

keep in mind that the matrixes pairs must be linked otherwise a matrix will get the mono sum of the stereo main signal.
you see it is possible but not a really senseless solution. I would suggest to use the pan to calibrate left and right level.

Last edited:

I think that he need the L/R control as a zone mixer to regulate the SPL separately on the left and right stack. Isn't it easier to do this via aux? Assign output L to one aux, and R to other aux. But i have never used the X32 so there might be a more elegant solution for this.

Thank you for your answers.
I have one more question.
I use arranger keyboard and if I use mixer who have stereo channel I connect my keyboard directly with 2 stereo audio cables (L & R).
But x32 didn't have stereo channel, so who is the better way to connect keyboard:
1st option: 2 stereo audio cables in Aux1 and aux 2.
2nd option: 2 stereo cables and on the other side connected to XLR male in two channels in mixer
3rd option: if I sepparate rythm on drums, bas, arrangment and solo, than I will go with 4 stereo audio cables in 4 channels in mixer with XLR male or with mono cables in AUX 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Thank you

I have one more question.
I use arranger keyboard and if I use mixer who have stereo channel I connect my keyboard directly with 2 stereo audio cables (L & R).
But x32 didn't have stereo channel, so who is the better way to connect keyboard:
1st option: 2 stereo audio cables in Aux1 and aux 2.
2nd option: 2 stereo cables and on the other side connected to XLR male in two channels in mixer
3rd option: if I sepparate rythm on drums, bas, arrangment and solo, than I will go with 4 stereo audio cables in 4 channels in mixer with XLR male or with mono cables in AUX 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Thank you
To be clear, there are 3 types of cables that are usually associated with connecting keyboards. Unbalanced 1/4" (tip and sleve), Balanced 1/4" (Tip, Ring, and Sleve), and XLR. If you could provide your keyboard model number, I am s sure we could be very specific about the best way to connect it to a mixer.

The best option is if you have 2 XLR outputs on your keyboard. Connecting 2 of these to the X32 Rack is very easy. Simply start with an odd channel, and use the next channel too (exe 1,2 or 3,4. Not 4,5). On the "Home" -> "Config" page on the left there is a "Link" button that will pair the channels into a stereo pair.

The next best option would be to connect 2 balanced 1/4" TRS (Tip Ring Sleve) cables from your keyboard directly to your X32 Rack Aux inputs. Again start with an odd channel and use the next channel.

I have Roland VA76 keyboard and I connect them to mixer via 2 balanced 1/4" TRS (Tip Ring Sleve) cabels to Aux1 & Aux2.
But if you know better solutuon please tell me.

I have Roland VA76 keyboard and I connect them to mixer via 2 balanced 1/4" TRS (Tip Ring Sleve) cabels to Aux1 & Aux2.

Yes, that is a good way. I don't know if the VA76 has balanced 1/4" outputs, but you're not hurting anything. Try with regular 1/4" (Tip Sleeve) cables if you have some and see if there is a difference.

Tim (as usual) has given a good answer.

The Aux-in's will work fine. Looking at the documentation I could find for your keyboard, the pictures suggest that the jacks for your outputs are unbalanced (Tip Sleeve); however, as Tim suggests, it shouldn't cause any harm to use a balanced (TRS) cable to connect it. The only thing I have ever experience doing this was noise. Try both and see which one works best.

What will happen if I use this cable. Is it beetter signal than clasic unbalanced TRS cable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

What will happen if I use this cable. Is it beetter signal than clasic unbalanced TRS cable.

No better signal. TRS cables are either wired for balanced signals or "stereo" signals like headphones.

Using the unbalanced 1/4" to XLR that you show will allow you to patch your keyboards to any input on the mixer, the aux-in remapping is limited. But there shouldn't be any change in the signal quality. Note that using the XLR inputs on the mixer will require some head amp (input gain) adjustments.

edit ps. Note Klaus Mock's excellent observation about phantom power (+48).

Last edited:

If you use such cables, unbalanced TS to XLR male, on mic inputs you have to take care that the phantom power of that input is OFF. Otherwise you could harm the mixer or the keyboard. Using a standard unbalanced TS to TS (guitar-)cable and connect the keyboard to aux ins would be more safe.

If you use such cables, unbalanced TS to XLR male, on mic inputs you have to take care that the phantom power of that input is OFF. Otherwise you could harm the mixer or the keyboard. Using a standard unbalanced TS to TS (guitar-)cable and connect the keyboard to aux ins would be more safe.
Please take note of this!!!

This is why I didn't even mention the option. A single stray mouse click or brush of a finger on your iPad could damage your keyboard and/or your mixer if you use a cable like that.

The Aux inputs do not have the ability to have phantom power applied which makes them perfectly safe for this application.

Please take note of this!!!

This is why I didn't even mention the option. A single stray mouse click or brush of a finger on your iPad could damage your keyboard and/or your mixer if you use a cable like that.

The Aux inputs do not have the ability to have phantom power applied which makes them perfectly safe for this application.

Or use a DI. Problem solved.

OK. I will use 2 balanced 1/4" TRS (Tip Ring Sleve) cabels, but I want more AUX inputs because X32 RACK have just 5 AUX inputs.
Can I use DI BOX to have more AUX inputs?

The X32 has 6 aux inputs. You'd use a DI to get a signal from an instrument like a keyboard or bass into an XLR input. Do you really need more aux inputs? You have a total of 22 channels with the normal inputs plus the auxes.

We have more AUX inputs because in the band we have 3 keyboards and 1bas and 1 guitar who must be connected to AUX inputs.
Please suggest me what kind of equipment I should buy to enhance the number of AUX inputs.

We have more AUX inputs because in the band we have 3 keyboards and 1bas and 1 guitar who must be connected to AUX inputs.
Please suggest me what kind of equipment I should buy to enhance the number of AUX inputs.

With some DI's you can plug them into any channel. The 1/4" input on the DI will take the line level signal from your instrument and turn it into mic level on the XLR output of the DI. Then you plug it into the mixer with an XLR cable.

I have had decent luck with the Behringer DI: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI800.aspx

I only use it for the 6 vDrum inputs in my band which it seems to do fine on. There are some nicer DI units out there that others swear by, but cost more than double. If that doesn't bother you than I would look at the DI from Audiopile here: http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/FDB-404/FDB-404_cutsheet.shtml

If/when my Behringer gives me any grief, this is what I will be going to as well.