Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

Re: Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

Evan's review showed that the IPR1600 easily went into protect with anything less than an 8 ohm stereo load. Bridging the amp is probably out of the question, especially for EDM.

Not only that, bridging the IPR series would require an ohmbrew solution. There are no binding posts, and no switches to allow for the combining of 2 channels into one NL4.

The Crest Prolight 2.0 and 3.0 are showing up on pricesheets, but not on their website, nor in the wild, as far as I know. But according to the info I've seen they should be comparably priced, come with binding posts and bridge capability.

If the manufacturer doesn't support bridging the amplifier output, do so at some risk.

It involves more than just speaker connections and inverting one input.

#1 the amp output must be single legged, not already differential.
#2 the amp protection circuitry must be coordinated, so one output does not limit alone and pull the other one into trouble (safe operating areas for devices or whatever).
#3 amplifier must be capable of the lower effective load impedance.

Peavey may have left the feature off just to save cost in anticipation of low cost higher power models, or not. I don't know.

I am not a big fan of bridging amps that are designed to anticipate that application.

JR

I've been looking at a used Crown XLS5000 because i've found out that the Peavey IPR6000 aren't maybe even going to be released according to what a Peavey UK sales person told me today.

Oh by the way, i've got a little question, next year i'm gonna save up and get myself another SRX728S so i've got 3 of them, I can't afford one outright but saving up isn't too hard. If I was to buy a used QSC Powerlight380 and run all my SRX728S subs in discreet mode, with one SRX728S on each channel of the PL380, and then run the 3rd SRX728S with one driver on one channel and ther other driver on the other channel of the PL380, in effect running it as if I had 6 SRX718S, would I encounter any problems? I've heard the PL380 is safe into 2 ohms, and with 3 SRX718S on each channel it'd effectively make the amplifier see about 3 ohms wouldn't it?

BTW there is some evidence that a nu6000 is actually two bridged nu3000's in the same case. Each channel has exactly the same specs as a bridged nu3000 ...

I've been looking at a used Crown XLS5000 because i've found out that the Peavey IPR6000 aren't maybe even going to be released according to what a Peavey UK sales person told me today.

Oh by the way, i've got a little question, next year i'm gonna save up and get myself another SRX728S so i've got 3 of them, I can't afford one outright but saving up isn't too hard. If I was to buy a used QSC Powerlight380 and run all my SRX728S subs in discreet mode, with one SRX728S on each channel of the PL380, and then run the 3rd SRX728S with one driver on one channel and ther other driver on the other channel of the PL380, in effect running it as if I had 6 SRX718S, would I encounter any problems? I've heard the PL380 is safe into 2 ohms, and with 3 SRX718S on each channel it'd effectively make the amplifier see about 3 ohms wouldn't it?

That would be no problem for a PL380.

One question: you had barely the budget for a meager Peavey amp, and now you can afford another SRX728S and a PL380? Did you rob a bank or win the lottery?

Oh well i'm planning on saving up for another SRX728S and the used PL380 next year. I can keep on how I am now until i've saved up enoughh money for the sub and PL380 amp, even if it takes me 4 months to get the money it's worth saving up for. But yeah right now i'm having trouble financially.

Right finally after two e-mails to Behringer asking whether the iNuke 6000 amplifier's specs are RMS or Peak, they finally tell me, they're Peak power, so I guess that means the amplifier is only capable of outputting in the region of 750-900 watts RMS per channel and even that might be burst right?

If you ever look at any of the current guitar magazines, especially the ones that think metal is the pinnicle of musical expression, you can see exactly who the name is directed at.

Right finally after two e-mails to Behringer asking whether the iNuke 6000 amplifier's specs are RMS or Peak, they finally tell me, they're Peak power, so I guess that means the amplifier is only capable of outputting in the region of 750-900 watts RMS per channel and even that might be burst right?
Well, since the outlet can only supply 20 amps at 110 volts = 2200 watts how can it supply more? No amp I know of avoids the laws of physics.

Now as for the "peak" rating, there's two kinds of those - peak rms and peak power. The former is the maximum sinewave power the amp can supply for a short time and the latter the peak voltage it can supply into the minimum rated load resistance squared divided by the minimum load resistance. Both are interesting things to know but the former is the more "legitimate" measure of the amp's performance. BTW for sub duty with typical music a 5000 watt class "D" amp is about the biggest you can run fully loaded at full boogie off a single 110V 20A circuit without it either blowing the breaker or the amp limiting.

Last edited:

I'm surprised it hasn't been mention yet, but why not look into some used Macro Tech power? You can find some really good deals on them these days...

Over here in the UK, they MA5000 sell used for at least £1,000. Oh yeah i've been wondering, you know I said my plan next year was to go with another SRX728S sub so I have 3 of them (I said it above in post #23), would it be even worth adding a 3rd one? I mean people have been telling me that if I added 2 more so I had 4 of them then i'd get another 3db of low frequency spl output, but adding just 1 more isn't worth the 1.5db extra spl. What do you guys think about that?

Over here in the UK, they MA5000 sell used for at least £1,000. Oh yeah i've been wondering, you know I said my plan next year was to go with another SRX728S sub so I have 3 of them (I said it above in post #23), would it be even worth adding a 3rd one? I mean people have been telling me that if I added 2 more so I had 4 of them then i'd get another 3db of low frequency spl output, but adding just 1 more isn't worth the 1.5db extra spl. What do you guys think about that?
Doubling cones adds 3 dB, if those cones are powered up with additional power, that nets 6 dB. assuming you add more power when you add another cabinet, the addition should net 3 dB more.

IIRC you usually are in a narrow room, as you stack the subs up they will get more directive vertically, so the net difference may be more than calculated.