Behringer line array

Re: Behringer line array

I wonder how many people would be prepared to not buy Midas and give it a bad rap solely because it is owned by Uli?
Food for thought?
Darren

I was considering the Pro 2C a few months back but the Uli thing would have been tough to get past. Usually I would prefer supporting a brand or company with one person at the helm rather than a publicly traded company where guys sitting in front of computers looking at the ticker own a company, not caring what the company makes or how they generate income, only that the value goes up.

I was considering the Pro 2C a few months back but the Uli thing would have been tough to get past. Usually I would prefer supporting a brand or company with one person at the helm rather than a publicly traded company where guys sitting in front of computers looking at the ticker own a company, not caring what the company makes or how they generate income, only that the value goes up.

The difference, for me at least, is who designs the products. Midas so far is designed by Midas - they just happen to have an iffy (to put it politely) umbrella company. Behringer, or any Lexus-esque version of Behringer, would still be designed by Behringer and supported by Behringer.

The difference is that Toyota makes great cars. What Lexus does is add luxury features to their solidly built, dependable cars.

For some historical context, the upscale Japanese brands were a direct result of import sanctions by US govt trying to protect domestic car makers... While it worked in the short term, the Japanese repositioned themselves higher end to get around and/or reduce impact of duties.

Brand management is not simple or trivial... The japanese did well with their cars. Most attempts to go upscale don't do as well.

JR

They look great! I have long suspected that a quality line array could be built at that price point, in another video I think he said the list is $1499 for the dual 8". Two BIG areas of concern!: The brand (obviously, it will take time to prove itself) and durability. If Behringer can prove in the first year that these are nearly indestructible and sound decent then they will fly off the shelf and show up everywhere...the same goes for their new X32 console...I am not a brand snob and I would have no problem using them if they sound good and are reliable..

The problem, Brandon, is one of deployment. I predict that there will be lots of them sold, but most of the rigs will sound bad because the owners don't know what the fuck they're doing with them. It's already a problem with firms that should know better, that own gear with a pricetag that one would think inspire learning and education. But I hear more bad line array deployments that I hear correct deployments. Lowering the price of entry will not improve things for audiences.

I am trying to stay away from this thread so I won't be tempted to even think about it, but I just keep comming back. They do look good and the specs are impressive. I want to give Uli the benifit of the doubt, like I have done a few times before but shouldn't have. Scary Scary Scary

The problem, Brandon, is one of deployment. I predict that there will be lots of them sold, but most of the rigs will sound bad because the owners don't know what the fuck they're doing with them. It's already a problem with firms that should know better, that own gear with a pricetag that one would think inspire learning and education. But I hear more bad line array deployments that I hear correct deployments. Lowering the price of entry will not improve things for audiences.

Tim,

In addition to what you say, I would go a step further and argue that in addition to education, LA providers need to pony up for at least three zones of array per side. I've never understood how people balk at the extra processing, when it is the cheapest component to add to the array.

The one caveat I am adding here is that setting up a multi-zone line array is merely more rope for the inexperienced to hang themselves with. Education should precede the additional processing power.

Last edited:

Tim,

In addition to what you say, I would go a step further and argue that in addition to education, LA providers need to pony up for at least three zones of array per side. I've never understood how people balk at the extra processing, when it is the cheapest component to add to the array.

+100

Zoneless PA's just bum me out. :(

Evan

The problem, Brandon, is one of deployment. I predict that there will be lots of them sold, but most of the rigs will sound bad because the owners don't know what the fuck they're doing with them. .

You mean like "normal loudspeakers"?----------------------------
If bad sound were fatal-audio would would be the leading cause of death in this country.

+1000 You hit the nail on the head Tim. The FIRST line array I ever drove many years ago was a brand new 12 box a side plus subs NEXO that was deployed so badly that I was ready to put in my rider "No Line Arrays." It left such a bad taste in my mouth I told many people that I did not know how anyone expected to do a Rock Concert on computer speakers and the fact that six figures was spent on that system was just proof that the club owner was an idiot. Now that being said, several of the best sounding shows I have heard in the last few years have been on NEXO line arrays.

Last edited:

Just like a lot of the Behringer stuff, it looks great on paper. Remember the Behringer EP2500? On paper, had nearly identical specs to the QSC RMX2450, but for half the price. But anyone that used both would immediately tell you that they weren't even close. What makes you think that suddenly, they would be more honest with their specs now?

141db calculated max SPL of distortion would not be pleasant.

I wouldn't even say it looks great on paper because right now there is no meaningful data. All they have are some mockups, rendered images, and calculated max SPL numbers to throw around.

I wouldn't even say it looks great on paper because right now there is no meaningful data. All they have are some mockups, rendered images, and calculated max SPL numbers to throw around.

Of which I find it really hard to believe a double 8" box will hit 133dB. I really don't believe the 129dB for the smaller box either.

i must concur with this as well. much of this is inherent in the line array concept. the first line array i ever mixed on was an EAW 860 rig [dating myself here]. i remember we literally took them out of the cardboard boxes and put them up for an outside gig. we deployed them according to what EAW recommended and i was BLOWN AWAY by how amazing these things were. next week i put the same rig up somewhere else and i needed to 'adjust' the angles, so i did what i had done with traps for a decade. i guestimated it. wow, did that rig turn to feces. worst sounding pile i had ever heard. not the rig's fault. i just didn't know what i was doing. i quickly learned that eyeballing this stuff doesn't cut it and i got real familiar with computer array calcs real quick.

i think the concerns here are justified. an entry level line array with adjustable fly angles and variable powering options is gonna invite some really nasty sounding deployments. some might get it right. most won't.