Behringer WING console

All joking aside, the Wing is great but it's not the game changer that the X32 line was. Most of us already own enough of these products and have them driven by tablets that a new desk filler is kinda redundant. If one were mixing the same show on a regular basis it would be great.

The thing is as you know its getting closer and closer to channel counts needed in the 24-48 channel range will be done with a DAW, Input Interface, maybe a fader board and a bunch of Tablets/Laptops. The computer DSP processing power has reached a point where its hard to have a "Gee Wizz" product that is way above the competition. Had the Wing come out 30 plus years ago when I first touched a desk at the price it its at today it would have floored the live sound community. Today its just meh, another desk. As you stated if your out with the same band and set it up as you like it with the inputs/processing/effects per channel available its great. If you are already running stage boxes with the X/M32 lineup then it may be cost effective if a person needs what it has. It may be a little too much if a person is just starting out and having to purchase stage boxes etc. when the X/M32 line has on board preamps and current copper snakes are available. My biggest peeve is the 24/48 channel market is so missing in the X/M32 line. A X/M32 with 24 built in preamps with it having the ability to go up to 48 channel mixable input desk with added stage boxes would be a home run to me. The 16 channel desk are not quite enough for the smaller shows and the 32 XLR input ones are just to big for smaller shows and not quite big enough for large ones. A X/M32 48 which would have 24 XLR's onboard but with the ability to mix down TRUE 48 inputs with added stage boxes would interest me more than the Wing with just 8 local. The frame size of a 24 XLR input desk would be great for smaller shows mixing side of stage or keeping copper snakes working for some time. This same desk with the ability to mix 48 channels would be great for larger shows with added stage boxes when needed. Its a big hole in the X/M32 line. A desk like this would be the true game changer promised. Maybe this package in the Wing line?

Reactions: Mark Phillips
We are using the Wing for our live stream mix as well as recording to Logic. Looking for a way to easily switch between routing and input config for recording and playback without having to save two separate full Snaps. I have already tried various Library options to save only Routing or Routing, Input, Config, etc. I would prefer to not have to maintain two separate Snaps with all of the EQ, Compression, Gate, etc settings. I'm trying to just be able to save and switch between the inputs for live stream and the USB Audio inputs for playback. It seems like it should be possible with the level of detail that can be selected for saving in a Snap, but I have not been able to find a combination that works. Is this a bug or just a feature that has not been implemented or am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Ok, so I'm interested in getting the Wing, but I've heard some people talking about the faders being not "touch sensitive". First of all, what does that mean? And if it's true that the Wing doesn't have it, what disadvantage does that have? Are these faders noisy or smooth operating?

How would you compare having a Wing vs getting the X-Touch and combining it with the X-air interface? It seems they both do most things, but the Wing is obviously a lot more expensive. I just want this thing for home recording after a 15 year hiatus from recording.

I'm very out of date and have a lot to catch up on!

Cheers!

Ok, so I'm interested in getting the Wing, but I've heard some people talking about the faders being not "touch sensitive". First of all, what does that mean? And if it's true that the Wing doesn't have it, what disadvantage does that have? Are these faders noisy or smooth operating?

How would you compare having a Wing vs getting the X-Touch and combining it with the X-air interface? It seems they both do most things, but the Wing is obviously a lot more expensive. I just want this thing for home recording after a 15 year hiatus from recording.

Cheers!
If this is for home recording - there are other options to look into. Home recording implies high sound quality first, and physical control of a DAW second. Something like the A&H SQ5. If you want to stay within the Music Group family - I'd look instead for something with a Midas logo, such as the MR-18.

Cheers!

Touch-sensitive means the fader caps will act as a "channel select" when you touch them (like a capacitance touch screen), saving you the finger poke to select the channel and bring it up on screen. Some operators love this feature and other despise it. As this is common on several makes of console I can say that I've yet to meet more than 2 live sound mixerpersons who routinely use it. Recording users may find it more useful.

I think the faders are the same p/n as the X32. When I attended a Wing demo I didn't notice the faders being loud in layer switching or scene recall.

The Wing is a highly "personalizable" mixer. It's not a DigiCo in that regard but it's surprisingly configurable for the price point. It's not fair to make a comparison between the Wing and an MR18... they're leagues apart in concept, design, and functionality.

The Wing has only 8 XLR inputs on the back and, if "pedigree" of the input preamp is important or you need more than 8 simultaneous inputs you'll need an i/o box like the Midas DL32 to connect to the desk via CAT5e. You get the a 'mythical' Midas preamp design, 32 inputs and 16 outputs with the DL32.

Good luck with your new studio!

We are using the Wing for our live stream mix as well as recording to Logic. Looking for a way to easily switch between routing and input config for recording and playback without having to save two separate full Snaps. I have already tried various Library options to save only Routing or Routing, Input, Config, etc. I would prefer to not have to maintain two separate Snaps with all of the EQ, Compression, Gate, etc settings. I'm trying to just be able to save and switch between the inputs for live stream and the USB Audio inputs for playback. It seems like it should be possible with the level of detail that can be selected for saving in a Snap, but I have not been able to find a combination that works. Is this a bug or just a feature that has not been implemented or am I missing something? Any suggestions?
Hi @Brent Avera
Are you aware that WING features dual sources per input exactly for that purpose? You can freely assign any mono/stereo source to be the MAIN input of any channel, and another mono/stereo source for the ALT Input. flipping between MAIN/ALT can be done manually per channel, or it can be switched globally for all channels that are in automatic mode, using the Input Select switch on the Setup/Audio screen.

Alternatively, you can of course also create snapshots with a scope that is limited to just the required channel's input connection. To do that from the Library page, select/save a snapshot and switch all Recall Scope flags off, except the flags for "CONN" and the required channels, which need to remain active. Press Update after applying any scope changes.

Hope that helps.

Touch-sensitive means the fader caps will act as a "channel select" when you touch them (like a capacitance touch screen), saving you the finger poke to select the channel and bring it up on screen. Some operators love this feature and other despise it. As this is common on several makes of console I can say that I've yet to meet more than 2 live sound mixerpersons who routinely use it. Recording users may find it more useful.

In Live Sound applications, I find this feature to be far less important, and so I normally have it off and just select the channel as needed. However, when I am working in Live Theater situations, this can be a game-changer. In theater, a half a second matters to whether the person on-stage is heard or not heard, so pushing one more button just takes too long. Fortunately, this is exactly the feature you need: touch the fader up/down and it instantly applies to that channel. So in theater situations, this feature is always ON for me.

(Similar to why the X32/Wing mixers are useful in theater: the Scene Prev/Next changes are executed much faster than with other mixers, usually in the range of 1/60th of a second, as opposed to some mixers that are > 1 sec for a scene change...)

When I'm doing recording, I usually keep it off as well. Just not a lot of need to immediately jump on a fader in that situation.

I like the touch to select function a lot. If my fingers are near/on the faders anyway, and I need to tweak something - rather than pick up my hand to poke the Select button - I just lift my fingers from the other faders with one hand, then tweak away with the other.

Hi,
I'm back:)
If you have any questions about the new WING console, I might be able to answer them.
Christian

View attachment 209026
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to see if the Wing is a good fit for my situation. I have a ballroom as a venue and the AV is run by students. Our students currently use an X32 and I'd say most understand about 60-80% of its capability. The Ballroom is equipped with decent sounding ceiling speakers (mono) but the room is divisible. We used to just pan left/right to select which room we want the audio in (or center bor both rooms). Now we use L/R for one side and M/C for the other. Neither process is ideal, but it has been working. Is there a good/easy/intuitive way for STUDENTS to take advantage of the output routing of the wing to achieve this other than what I mentioned?

Usage example: Side A has an AV presentation going on. Side B has some background music. Both sides will have an announcement mic. Possibly even add a 3rd zone or room for a pre-function area that can have its own mix. I realize this can all be done with busses but it gets a little cumbersome for some of our operators.

Much thanks,
Mike

Has there been any news or rumors regarding smaller versions of the Wing? I have to assume that is coming, given how many offshoots of the X32 that were released. I'd love to see a version to replace the X32 compact/producer, and especially an update to replace the X32 rack.

Has there been any news or rumors regarding smaller versions of the Wing? I have to assume that is coming, given how many offshoots of the X32 that were released. I'd love to see a version to replace the X32 compact/producer, and especially an update to replace the X32 rack.
I haven't heard anything yet on a "Little Wing". I did read a thread on the great "Facebook" where the X32 line was being discontinued and a new line was coming out. Then every post about it was zapped so they are all gone now. Hard to say if it's true and someone stepped on some toes and these were dropped under pressure or it was a lie and the treads were simply dropped. The X/M32 line has been out quite awhile now so who knows.

Douglas R. Allen

I haven't heard anything yet on a "Little Wing". I did read a thread on the great "Facebook" where the X32 line was being discontinued and a new line was coming out. Then every post about it was zapped so they are all gone now. Hard to say if it's true and someone stepped on some toes and these were dropped under pressure or it was a lie and the treads were simply dropped. The X/M32 line has been out quite awhile now so who knows.

Douglas R. Allen
We may have to wait for Musicmesse 2021 in October, that's their next likely announcement timeframe. Hopefully they have been hard at work designing the successors to X/M line during the pandemic. The X32 rack for instance was a really great unit, perfect for IEM rigs, I saw them in the racks of many, many touring acts.

I'd like to see the successor to the X32 Rack be more as a 2 part solution - perhaps reduced to 1-2U with limited IO for controller (which will hopefully have the same power as the big wing, able to run lots of FX/plugins) and then paired to a stagebox of choice. Allen and Heath have a 24x12 stagebox, but Midas doesn't and this would be a good gap to fill IMHO as 16x8 is usually not quite enough and 32 is too many for smaller shows/band rigs.

Last edited: