Cadac J Type

Re: Cadac J Type

Why? do you have one?

They are the number one analog console used in Broadway theatre. Only recently eclipsed by various digital consoles. The worth is determined by a lot of thing, like how big the frame is, how many automated faders it includes, etc...

What are these consoles worth? Has anyone ever used one?

Hello,

The Cadac consoles are a premium console. They have mainly been used in Broadway type theatrical shows, although, that seems to be changing to various digital consoles as Justice posted... There have been a few cadac consoles on some large music tours....but, I can't seem to recall whom and when...although....The Who seems to sound vaguely familiar... but...???

Hammer

What are these consoles worth? Has anyone ever used one?

They are fairly high maintenance consoles. There are only a handful of shows using Cadacs these days. Steve Kennedy is still very fond of them and I'm pretty sure his "9 to 5" tour is being mixed on a J Type. These desks always mean carrying around lots of spare modules (and a rubber mallet).

PRG and Masque still have large inventories of these desks and parts although I know they have sold off some inventory in the last couple of years.

Hello,

The Cadac consoles are a premium console. They have mainly been used in Broadway type theatrical shows, although, that seems to be changing to various digital consoles as Justice posted... There have been a few cadac consoles on some large music tours....but, I can't seem to recall whom and when...although....The Who seems to sound vaguely familiar... but...???

Hammer

Who knew.

Steve Kennedy is still very fond of them and I'm pretty sure his "9 to 5" tour is being mixed on a J Type. These desks always mean carrying around lots of spare modules (and a rubber mallet).

We just had 9 to 5 here in June, and yes they had two, one 62 frame, and one side car, 40ish frame maybe. We had to haul the big console all the way around to the other side of the building and use a truck ramp to get it in place. I always groan when a show rider comes in saying they are using a Cadac, because it always means it's going to be a PITA to get it in. Two sets of dual power supplies with fans that are loud as shit, a trunk full of spare parts, outboard gear galore.....More pain than it's worth I think.

Why? do you have one?

They are the number one analog console used in Broadway theatre. Only recently eclipsed by various digital consoles. The worth is determined by a lot of thing, like how big the frame is, how many automated faders it includes, etc...

I do now. 58 Frame J-Type, with various spare modules/parts.

One of the great things is that when it does drop a channel (notice: I said 'when'), you can hot-swap modules. I mean, besides the fact that they sound beautiful too. Hope you own a back brace!

I"m not sure which one of them it is. Phil was down at PRG today picking up items for me and a few other guys from the interwebs.

Make sure it's not full of water. The fire department doused a small fire on the roof the other day caused by some solar panels that were staged for installation. I think it was mostly a pile of M2Ds and some speaker stands and bags that got soaked.

I'm soooo glad that neither Justice nor I will likely see your desk in our part of the country. I'm too old for the hernia and back problems they "install" on crew.

Stupid question - what are you going to do with it? That board, case, and auxiliary components are about 60% of the size of my entire rig!

I confess I'm solidly in the pragmatism category - the gig I'm working this weekend we've shoved the Heritage 2000 over to make room for our M7, so you can probably tell I wouldn't be a likely buyer.

We just had 9 to 5 here in June, and yes they had two, one 62 frame, and one side car, 40ish frame maybe. We had to haul the big console all the way around to the other side of the building and use a truck ramp to get it in place. I always groan when a show rider comes in saying they are using a Cadac, because it always means it's going to be a PITA to get it in. Two sets of dual power supplies with fans that are loud as shit, a trunk full of spare parts, outboard gear galore.....More pain than it's worth I think.

I'll be bringing a Profile, FYI. And since we are using LCS for processing and playback I'll probably only have two racks out front. Three if I bring in the Pro Tools rig.

I'll be bringing a Profile, FYI. And since we are using LCS for processing and playback I'll probably only have two racks out front. Three if I bring in the Pro Tools rig.

Profiles are nice, we like them because they actually fit in our elevator to get to FOH. I'll be interested in seeing the LCS system, I don't think we've had a show come through using LCS yet.