Coaxial Wedge Collaboration

Re: Coaxial Wedge Collaboration

Got 4 Smithers Wedge shells nearly done. Differences: I will be using B&C 12FCX76 80 degree coaxial drivers with the XO-4 crossover. I omitted a little bit of the bracing in the plan, and put the ports up top on the baffle instead of in the front panel. All in all, construction is going slow but well.

Attachments

• Smithers wedges.jpg
    Smithers wedges.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 28

Looking good Rick!

I may get the shells done and painted with Duratex this weekend. I inquired about Rhino lining (they have a sprayer here in town) but they wanted $350 for the lot. I also have all the hardware and grille material on hand, may get far as everything but the speakers and crossovers (they are back ordered at B&C and may get here before next weekend). I will do a photo shoot as soon as one is painted and grille installed.

Painted w handles, Speakon dishes and grilles installed. Now waiting for the B&C speakers and crossovers, and then we'll be in action.

Attachments

• Painted wedges.JPG
    Painted wedges.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 20

The nearly finished product.

Still waiting on crossovers from B&C, then final wiring, speaker installation, put the grille back on, and away they go.

Duratex is not as durable as Line X, but it looks as good when it is new. It already has a few scuffs from moving the speaker around the garage. I cut the grilles from Parts Express stock grille material with a metal blade jigsaw - saved about $50 from having four grilles custom cut. Not really a lot of tricks to it. I figure I have about $600 apiece into them, if even that.

Attachments

• Finished wedge.jpg
    Finished wedge.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 23

On cutting the perforated metal grilles, I've tried a bunch of different things including metal blades in circular saws and various types of jigsaw/Sawzall blade combinations. What I found works like a champ is a pneumatic nibbler I got from Harbor Freight. The metal doesn't bounce around, it cuts clean and much faster than saw blades. If you set up a guide you can get a really straight cut too.

On cutting the perforated metal grilles, I've tried a bunch of different things including metal blades in circular saws and various types of jigsaw/Sawzall blade combinations. What I found works like a champ is a pneumatic nibbler I got from Harbor Freight. The metal doesn't bounce around, it cuts clean and much faster than saw blades. If you set up a guide you can get a really straight cut too.

Just order them cut from Reliable Hardware. They use a shear. They can do simple bends or folds too.

Rick, try the Line-X shop up in Palatine next time. Should be more reasonable than that Rhino quote.

Best regards,

John

Painted w handles, Speakon dishes and grilles installed. Now waiting for the B&C speakers and crossovers, and then we'll be in action.
Where did you get the crossovers? I've been looking at these drivers and can't find the crossovers anywhere. Planning to build a more micro wedge looking thing for small stages since they're fairly shallow.

Rick, have you got these together and cranked them up yet? I'm curious how the XO-4 crossover works. It's recommended for a number of different speakers with different spacing between the LF and HF coils, so I'm interested in the phase response though the crossover region with the 12FCX76 drivers which have the HF much closer to the exit than the other stacked drivers. There also appears to be some CD horn correction in there, possibly for the 12HCX76? I don't have the tools or chops to do phase correction in something like this. That's a job for TooTall or folks of that ilk.[h=1][/h]

Rick, have you got these together and cranked them up yet? I'm curious how the XO-4 crossover works. It's recommended for a number of different speakers with different spacing between the LF and HF coils, so I'm interested in the phase response though the crossover region with the 12FCX76 drivers which have the HF much closer to the exit than the other stacked drivers. There also appears to be some CD horn correction in there, possibly for the 12HCX76? I don't have the tools or chops to do phase correction in something like this. That's a job for TooTall or folks of that ilk.

Hey Steve,

Attached is a schematic of our XO-4 crossover, which we recommend for the 12" - 15" HCX series coaxials - with horn. It might work with the FHX series as well but hasn't been tested. We don't currently (and probably never will) have a passive XO available for the CXN series.

Attachments

• XO-4.pdf
    122.2 KB · Views: 24

Hey Steve,

Attached is a schematic of our XO-4 crossover, which we recommend for the 12" - 15" HCX series coaxials - with horn. It might work with the FHX series as well but hasn't been tested. We don't currently (and probably never will) have a passive XO available for the CXN series.

http://bcspeakers.s3.amazonaws.com/2013/02/12/16/15/05/196/file
http://bcspeakers.s3.amazonaws.com/2014/04/28/09/33/02/188/MC152an.pdf

Your suggested designs show different crossovers for the 12 & 15 HCX, which are both different from the XO-4.

Would I be correct to assume they will give slightly better results than the XO-4; the catch being ... you will need to build them yourself :confused:

Hey Peter,

The XO-4 was originally designed for the 15CX40 in a ceiling speaker application, so take it with a grain of salt. In the end Italy thinks it works fine for our horned coaxials. The suggested designs have a crossover that was designed by the same guy we hired to put together our suggested designs, so it's different. In the end I haven't heard any of these passives but they're likely a good solution. Always a good idea to have a little active processing available to smooth things out of course.

Hi Peter, the one you posted for the HCX was what I though the XO-4 was. Thanks to Bennett for posting the XO-4 schematic it looks like a much simpler design. Am I correct in guessing that the HCX design has some CD eq added to it?

It may be that with the voice coils in the FCX so close together in depth that any serious phase anomalies are above the 1.4k crossover region. And the simple 2nd order XO-4 crossover will work well.

Rick, have you got these together and cranked them up yet? I'm curious how the XO-4 crossover works. It's recommended for a number of different speakers with different spacing between the LF and HF coils, so I'm interested in the phase response though the crossover region with the 12FCX76 drivers which have the HF much closer to the exit than the other stacked drivers. There also appears to be some CD horn correction in there, possibly for the 12HCX76? I don't have the tools or chops to do phase correction in something like this. That's a job for TooTall or folks of that ilk.[h=1][/h]

Steve,

Yes, all 4 of the monitors are done and have seen active duty a few times. They sound as expected, they have a nice, hi fi top end and a full low midrange, and they don't seem particularly phasey or anything that would indicate a compatibility problem with the XO-4 crossover. I do think the crossover design could probably be tweaked a little bit, but as I don't have anything to compare the current crossover to, I don't know how short of "ideal" it falls. They work well enough for us. I haven't done any testing on these; I am 80 miles west of Chicago, if someone wanted to do a SMAART analysis on them I might be up for it.

FWIW I used Turbosound TMW 112 (and 115s) wedges. I believe they use a standard 12HCX76 (?) with a very nice passive crossover. They can also be run bi - amped.

In short ... they look great, are easy to carry and sound fantastic, better than our old PS15's that they replaced. http://www.avcafe.ru/photo/orig/turbosound_tmw-112_photo7.jpg

The crossover looks a little more complicated than the XO-4 or the suggested design versions.

This new pair is designed to use Powersoft D-Cell DSP plate amps and the BMS drivers. Here are the two in progress and a plate amp (in a test box). The DSP programmer isn't shown.

View attachment 10536View attachment 10537

Hello Michael, whenever you have a moment, I'm curious to hear how this plate amp'd version turned out for you? I hope to build one of these in a few months (have the BMS already) and given a choice, I'd rather my first attempt be a powered version. Thanks much for the design work and all info!