Danley SM80 and others shootout Monday January 14 at Danley in Gainesville, GA.

Eric Cagle

Senior
Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone,
Since many of you have shown an interest in the Danley SM80, EAW KF650z, Mackie Fussion 3000 shootout Ivan, Kemper, and I are going to do, we have decided to go ahead and make it a fun event. January 14, 2013 at Danley Sound Lab in Gainesville, GA come one, come all, and bring any other cabinets you would like to compare them to. We are going to start around 10:00-11:00am and lunch will be provided. We will post more details as we work the logistics out. We are also going to try out the SM80m monitor so feel free to bring anything to compare it to as well.

Please post anything you are going to bring so we will all know what we are going to be listening to and try to let us know you are coming so we can know how much food to have on hand for lunch. For any questions not posted please contact Ivan Beaver or myself.

See you there!
Eric

Last edited:
Re: Danley SM80 and others shootout Monday January 14 at Danley in Gainesville, GA.

Subs are also welcome. IF you would like to hear how your favorite subs "stands up", bring it. We will plenty of amps available-but if you to bring amps/DSP etc, feel free to.

Hopefully Kemper can bring his Radian (pre microwedge) monitors. If anybody has a favorite mic-please bring it-as the mic selection Danley has is VERY limited.

Danely will have at least 1 new high output sub to show (2 new models if we get the prototype built in time).

We will try to have some live musicians (as opposed those that are dead) so it will not all be canned music-but no promises on that yet.

We are going to try to keep this a fun event. Probably not a lot of measuring (while really informative and important-it can get pretty boring to most people pretty quick).

For those traveling out of town, Danley gets good rates at a nice Comfort Inn around the corner.

Re: Danley SM80 and others shootout Monday January 14 at Danley in Gainesville, GA.

Well, I suppose there is no need for me to bring anymore 650's. Are the 650's in question processed with the ux8800?

Is it safe to assume that there will be a SH46 around that can auditioned as well? I would really like to see how these compared to a 650.

Hmmmm, to drive twelve hours or not?

We do need a UX8800 if anybody has one. I am checking into the local rental houses. Kemper's rig is processed with a xilica and sounds really good but I am planning on setting it up tri-amped with with the UX8800 grey box settings to show it in its best light. The rig has plenty of QSC PL series power with it.

Well, if I make the trip I could bring mine. Heck, I could just as easily throw the whole amprack in the truck.

Well, I suppose there is no need for me to bring anymore 650's. Are the 650's in question processed with the ux8800?

Is it safe to assume that there will be a SH46 around that can auditioned as well? I would really like to see how these compared to a 650.

There will be a Sh46 there-along with most other Danley products.

The one thing about audio-it is about the SOUND. And the sound of one product vs another can often be hard to describe over the internet. And different people like and look for different things in various products.

The BEST way is to hear for yourself and come to your own conclusions. Or else you have to judge the opinions of others-who you may not even know-or what their preferences are-OR what their condition their hearing may be in

But as with anything, it is an investment in both time and money. And it depends on how serious a person is about what they do.

We don't know all the products will be there yet-but are hoping to have a good variety. I am pretty sure I can get a powered JBL VRX rig (4 boxes) there as well as other products already listed. We will work on others as well.

Brandon, let us know. If you did that I would not mind hearing the difference between the bi-amped xilica and the tri-amped UX8800 while we are at it.

Last edited:

A UX8800 is a must for the 650’s … and you must use them with subs, they are really a mid-high cabinet that at a push will do full range. The trick with the 650 is to run them 3-way and cross them over to the subs as high as 120 Hz if you need maximum SPL. If you take a little bit of load off the lows by doing this they will almost keep up with an old 850e.
http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current_Loudspeakers/KF650z/KF650z_SPECS_rev1.pdf
http://www.bmltech.com/refbook/audio/eawkf850specs.htm

A UX8800 is a must for the 650’s … and you must use them with subs, they are really a mid-high cabinet that at a push will do full range. The trick with the 650 is to run them 3-way and cross them over to the subs as high as 120 Hz if you need maximum SPL. If you take a little bit of load off the lows by doing this they will almost keep up with an old 850e.
http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current_Loudspeakers/KF650z/KF650z_SPECS_rev1.pdf

These are the things we need to know and do because we want to hear all of the equipment in it's best sounding configuration. We are going to have plenty of sub to go under all of the cabinets and can set the crossover wherever it needs to be. I am going to be purchasing one of these rigs in February, which is why I asked Ivan for the demo. The 120hz crossover point on the 650z rig is a good point to make because that is also the crossover point for the SM80 and that will be a more apples to apples comparison.

Yep, I cross them at 120hz when I use them in pairs. Gains noticeable headroom in the lows and tames the summing of the 15s. I cross them at 90hz in singles when output isn't a concern.

I may also be able to bring down a sb1000z, as long as they are in the shop. It would provide a nice reference to compare with the Danley offerings.

Ivan- You said you will have amps available? I'd rather not bring another rack for the sb1000, and I don't have any worthwhile singles laying around.

Ivan- You said you will have amps available? I'd rather not bring another rack for the sb1000, and I don't have any worthwhile singles laying around.
The biggest are the LAb Gruppen 13K and 14K's. We just got a couple of Powersofts, but the biggest is the 10K. We have a number of Lab Gruppen 10k's (4 channel).
As well as some smaller 6KW amps.

The thing that would "slow things down" would be the connectivity of amps to speakers to cables etc. So that needs to be a bit planned ahead. If any special cables are needed (beyond NL2 and NL4's) they need to be brought in.

Hi everyone,
Since many of you have shown an interest in the Danley SM80, EAW KF650z, Mackie Fussion 3000 shootout Ivan, Kemper, and I are going to do, we have decided to go ahead and make it a fun event. Come one , come all, and bring any other cabinets you would like to compare them to. We are going to start around 10:00-11:00am and lunch will be provided. We will post more details as we work the logistics out. We are also going to try out the SM80m monitor so feel free to bring anything to compare it to as well.

Please post anything you are going to bring so we will all know what we are going to be listening to and try to let us know you are coming so we can know how much food to have on hand for lunch. For any questions not posted please contact Ivan Beaver or myself.

See you there!
Eric

Fir those not quite in the know, what roughly geographical area is this shindig, and what date range?

Haha all kidding aside, I missed it the first time too.

Here are some other products that are planned to be there

EV MTL2-EV (not sure of model #-but the larger brother to the MTL2 that was used on the Stones Bridges of Babylon tour))-EV ZX5-possibly Tannoy VQ60

I wish you were closer to CO....I would love to attend one of these here shindigs.