Favorite Stage Monitor

Re: Favorite Stage Monitor

The best sound comes from one source. For monitoring i prefer 12" coaxial speekers e.g.:
- L-Acoustics 12XT
- Tannoy V12 HP

Technically, still multiple sources, they're just much closer together.

John

Yes but with a coaxial driver, the response remains consistent as you come off axis, which is a plus for monitor applications.
It does not get a big dip in the response curve when you are off axis like an standard LF driver + horn wedge.

The best sound comes from one source. For monitoring i prefer 12" coaxial speekers e.g.:
- L-Acoustics 12XT
- Tannoy V12 HP

Was kind of wondering if anyone was going to mention the 112XT....

It's an "older" box at this point, but it's the wedge I use most often and it is pretty awesome.

I am really interested in hearing the new Clair box.

Yes but with a coaxial driver, the response remains consistent as you come off axis, which is a plus for monitor applications.
It does not get a big dip in the response curve when you are off axis like an standard LF driver + horn wedge.

Pleaes refer to my earlier post as to what kind of monitor I build and use...;>)

Best regards,

John

- Tannoy V12 HP

FYI: At my previous job we bought 8x V12 self power units for a venue. They lasted 1 (one) show before they went back to the dealer, 2 amp modules and four drivers fried.
It's not a box capable of high sound pressures. The passive version with proper power and processing is much better.

We're still using our EV xW15. My only complaint is weight. Great acceptance by BMEs and artists... The current xW15a is very good, but does not stand out from the rest of the competition. There is a bigger selection of high-end monitors now than I recall ever having. When you play at these levels, you almost can't go wrong; the question is if a particular model or brand enjoys wide rider acceptance and fits well with your business plan.

I am not in the "Varsity" with you guys anymore but I like my own monitors I have built over the years. Mostly JBL 15" and 2" back in the day. Selenium and B&C today.

My current model used for small stage shows I call the Tombstone.
It looks like an 8 inch thick Tombstone that is leaning back. Adjustable from flat on its back to 90 degrees. It has 6 5-1/4 inch drivers in a circle with a 40X40 degree conical horn in the center. It is bi-amped. The stand is shaped like the box and folds out to support it then folds up to become a handle. The case holds 4.
Sounds like a big coax but very fast response and in your face. The shape keeps the box small yet it has enough room for good vocal low end. It is not ported. I add an active 15 inch sub for drum and key monitors.

I have 2 that look the same but have a LCD Monitor in it to be used as a prompter. (doesn't anyone know the words to their own songs these days?)

FYI: At my previous job we bought 8x V12 self power units for a venue. They lasted 1 (one) show before they went back to the dealer, 2 amp modules and four drivers fried.
It's not a box capable of high sound pressures. The passive version with proper power and processing is much better.

The newer powered models, VXP, have Lab Gruppen amp modules.

I am not in the "Varsity" with you guys anymore but I like my own monitors I have built over the years. Mostly JBL 15" and 2" back in the day. Selenium and B&C today.

My current model used for small stage shows I call the Tombstone.
It looks like an 8 inch thick Tombstone that is leaning back. Adjustable from flat on its back to 90 degrees. It has 6 5-1/4 inch drivers in a circle with a 40X40 degree conical horn in the center. It is bi-amped. The stand is shaped like the box and folds out to support it then folds up to become a handle. The case holds 4.
Sounds like a big coax but very fast response and in your face. The shape keeps the box small yet it has enough room for good vocal low end. It is not ported. I add an active 15 inch sub for drum and key monitors.

I have 2 that look the same but have a LCD Monitor in it to be used as a prompter. (doesn't anyone know the words to their own songs these days?)

Any chance of a picture or two??

Cheers Dave

The 12" BMS neo coaxial driver has proven itself in a great alignment and great crossover designed by Curtis. I'd easily consider building 15" versions for rock duty if I did that all the time. Definitely compact, and 42lbs., built from 18mm Baltic Birch and coated in Line-X
John[/QUOTE]

These look great. I am a fan of Curtis' work. I believe there are pics of the crossover online somewhere.

I am considering building a run of these. Only changes I would make are full-coverage grille backed w/foam, handles, and I would spray textured Polane 700.

BTW- L'Acoustics wedges are a favorite.

BMS Coax wedge small.jpgCoax wedge grills foam backed.jpg
John Halliburton said:
The 12" BMS neo coaxial driver has proven itself in a great alignment and great crossover designed by Curtis. I'd easily consider building 15" versions for rock duty if I did that all the time. Definitely compact, and 42lbs., built from 18mm Baltic Birch and coated in Line-X
John

These look great. I am a fan of Curtis' work. I believe there are pics of the crossover online somewhere.

I am considering building a run of these. Only changes I would make are full-coverage grille backed w/foam, handles, and I would spray textured Polane 700.

BTW- L'Acoustics wedges are a favorite.

Jim,

You mean like this? I can sell you empty cabinets if you'd like. Mine are coated in Line-X, but you could get unfinished ones and spray them with Polane yourself. The grills are backed with 1/4" foam in the one shot.

Best regards,

John

1/8" reticulated foam, recessed Penn H1105 handles each end (may require minor volume adjustment). I would extend the grille to cover the "mail slot" port. Polane is more easily "freshened" than polyurea coatings.

Kind of a back-burner project for now, we are all "in-season". Will keep in touch. Thanks for the update/offer..

Best!

There is a bigger selection of high-end monitors now than I recall ever having. When you play at these levels, you almost can't go wrong; the question is if a particular model or brand enjoys wide rider acceptance and fits well with your business plan.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Microwedge, xW, M2/M4, and the array of touring grade wedges are generally all pretty excellent. The Microwedge is my personal favourite, but as Tim's wise words indirectly state, personal preferences shouldn't be what makes/breaks the decision at this level.

Had a d&b M6 in my hands for a few days but could never squeeze the time to pop the grille. I imagine there is a BMS coax in there.