Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

Re: DL32 version

"I will do anything humanly possible to avoid touchscreens"

Do you miss rotory phones? You know someday people will be amused and amazed that we actually used mechanical devices(i.e. faders) to control an electronic signal.

The new one crashed into "firmware update" mode once a few hours after I powered it up - I was able to reboot it from the iPad wirelessly and it came back.
This may have been the result of a loose AC connection - I have a 3-3/4 yo daughter who loves to mess with my cables LOL . Today the mixer was out totally with the plug mostly out of the outlet x(~:dead: . Weird thing is the power light was on dimly :?~:-?~:???: .

Last edited:
Re: Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

I'm disappointed in the form factor. I think it would have been good to make the ipad 'dock' section be separable from the actual mixer unit. In fact, one application I have in mind is to make a mic split to feed 2 units so you can get more aux sends. I can't see how to mount 2 units in a compact rack/case in a useful manner to do this... But kudo's to Mackie for diving forward in this area. It's definitely where things are going. (Note Uli's request the other day for comments on a box to do something similar [no controls on the box, just remote tablet control]). I look forward to a smaller version (under $300) for little corporate gigs.

Oh-Oh ... I just realized that it has an external "brick" power supply. :uhoh:

How are you early adopters dealing with that ... Velcro to the inside of the rack case?

I used mine tonight outdoors (6-10) - everything worked fine. I ran four monitor mixes and aux driven subs. I cheesed out and just used the GEQ's on the outputs as a half arse crossover
freak.gif
. I had the comps all set up as limiters (4:1 soft knee at the yellow). The gates were very unobtrusive on the toms, snare and kick. I also gated the guitars and bass just because I could
facepalm.gif
. My poor RCF 310a's were constantly flashing red
frown.gif
but kept working
smile.gif
. It was a 5 piece hard rock band. My Rog horn subs did their usual good job of keeping people away from the stage
wink.gif
even though I only had them powered at 3/4 of their RMS rating (600w into a 800w driver).

Anybody wanna buy a snake cheap? LOL

What hapens when next iPad has the Lightning connector and doesn't fit the Mackie because the 30 pin dock to Lightning connector doesn't fit?
It'll be some time before Apple comes out with a iPad 4. Looking at the mixer it looks like the connector is separate from the main board and they shouldn't have any trouble fitting it with a new connector. I suspect the iPad you get now will last as long as the mixer anyways and repair service and used ones will be available for years to come :) .

What hapens when next iPad has the Lightning connector and doesn't fit the Mackie because the 30 pin dock to Lightning connector doesn't fit?

I wouldn't worry about this. Lots of 1, 2 and 3's around. Heck even when the 3rd gen showed up Apple still sells the ipad2 at a discounted price. Only the 8 and 16 gig models though.

How did it all sound Ron? I plan on getting one of these mixers soon myself. ESP for my small mix at stage mixer.

How did it all sound Ron? I plan on getting one of these mixers soon myself. ESP for my small mix at stage mixer.
Aside from the FX selection being limited it sounds great. The gates and comps sound good to me too. It's a bit weird walking around with an iPad but I'll get used to it :) .

The studio live screen uses a lot of light blue, silver, etc. Doesn't help to make it easy to view

If Mackie uses more black in the display, it will help with seeing it in bright light.

One thing about this mixer is: what is Mackie going to do when apple changes the connector
The rumor I've heard is all I-Pods/Pads/phones etc get a different (smaller) connector starting next year
Going to be a lot of obsolete docking stations.

Lightning to 30-pin Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Well, if you plug in your iPhone 4S or iPod Nano 6th gen for music they aren't "form fit" either. If you are above "little league" level (where I reside, when do we get our own forum :lol:?) you'll have two iPads anyways, one permanently docked. One thing walking around with my one-and-only is that thoughts of being jostled and dropping it go through your mind :?~:-?~:???:. It wouldn't be super hard to shatter the screen and end up SOL at a gig x(~:dead:. In any case if your iPad goes teats up on yah you can have it fixed, just like one of them $10K+ mixers with their displays.

Oh-Oh ... I just realized that it has an external "brick" power supply. :uhoh:
How are you early adopters dealing with that ... Velcro to the inside of the rack case?
I've been just plugging it in at the moment as I have no FOH rack. I'll be building one up with a crossover and such shortly and will mount the supply in there. I like to keep my mixers separate so I can put them on a table, maybe not so necessary with this one?.

Just as an FYI I decided to order up another iPad (manufacturer's refurb "2") as I have a gig with some high profile players this Saturday and can't afford to not have a backup :?~:-?~:???:. I'll screw one down to the mixer.

How do people mixing wirelessly address cue/solo and talkback? Do you use wireless IEMs and a wireless mic along with the wireless mixer? Or do you just do without?
So far I just solo and talkback at the console sidestage. I have thought about using one of my IEM's for the former and a wireless mic for the latter but think those would be more trouble than they are worth - we'll see :) .

Nice cup holder!
LOL! I also found out they have an HP MSM managed wireless network with 16 access points so the operator was able to mix from anywhere in the stadium and "tweak" some outstanding problem spots. Is that cool or what? :D

That is pretty excellent network coverage for remote mixing, but does the little Mackie offer enough mixes, processing & outputs to have control over those problem spots individually?

It's great to be able to mix wirelessly in the upper deck, or under the balcony overhang, but unless you can address those zones in the system discretely, you're really not gaining a whole lot of functional control over your system.

I'd be interested to know more about how this system is built and integrated, if it is in-fact handling the discreet sends. It'd be fun to know more about the system either way, always great to see how others are making things work.