Incandescent Lightbulb "ban" 2014

Re: Incandescent Lightbulb "ban" 2014

Apparently we are on our way into an ice age or rather a cold period. That ship that was stuck in the ice, apparently they were out to collect proof of global warming and was caught by ice that shouldn't be there unless......

Meanwhile there was extreme record heat in Australia. Yup, it's winter, and really winter used to be colder.

You definitely need a vent on a septic system. Gas pressure builds up, and if it there's no vent, the gas will make its way through the traps. (Anecdotal, not theoretical.)
I gotta admit-this is a field I know almost nothing about-but would it not vent through the drain field?

Again-the two houses I have lived in did not have one. My current house has 2 septic tanks (one in front and one in back) and no vents.

I just had to have some work done on the back one due to a crushed line going to the drain field and the guy doing the work was very knowledgeable and he did not mention that we should have a vent (I didn't ask), but he was pointing out several things that were defective in the tank.

If it was a good idea I think he would have mentioned it.

But like many things-there are different opinions on how things are done. Just look at loudspeaker system designs------------------

So I have just been informed that the vents are through the roof of your house-NOT in the yard (as i had thought)

I knew there were vents in the roof-but somehow never thought of them as vents for the septic tank :(

So yes, my houses HAVE had vents.

See what difference it makes when you have somebody in the business who knows what they are doing! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!! So embarrsesed------

This is a good example of some of the misconceptions people have about audio and how it gets spread around.

I recall once trying to clear a clogged drain pipe with water pressure (a cute hose attachment that expands to seal the pipe and pressurizes down stream.) However the water just flowed up and out of the roof vent. I had to get a friend to climb up on the roof and block that vent with his shoe while I applied pressure, before I was able to blow out that clog.

Since then I try to practice preventative maintenance with boiling water down some drains, when they get slow. I have two snakes but the clogs are never within easy snake reach.

JR

I had to get a friend to climb up on the roof and block that vent with his shoe while I applied pressure, before I was able to blow out that clog.
JR

That's one brave friend :) "just put your foot over this sewage vent while I apply pressure at the other end"

Jason

Hydraulic engineering. A number of years ago, a well meaning but poorly reasoning engineer at a local oil fired power plant went to use a hydraulic ram to clear a blockage in a supply pipe. Everything started moving at his end so he assumed all was well without checking to see how it was flowing at the other end.

Yep he basically blew out the side of the pipe at the blockage and then pumped thousands of gallons of fuel oil into our local river.

I was working as an environmental analytical chemist at the time and our group ended up with the contract to monitor the cleanup over the next year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Hydraulic engineering. A number of years ago, a well meaning but poorly reasoning engineer at a local oil fired power plant went to use a hydraulic ram to clear a blockage in a supply pipe. Everything started moving at his end so he assumed all was well without checking to see how it was flowing at the other end.

Yep he basically blew out the side of the pipe at the blockage and then pumped thousands of gallons of fuel oil into our local river.

I was working as an environmental analytical chemist at the time and our group ended up with the contract to monitor the cleanup over the next year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Yup, one must account for the drain side being a relatively low pressure system.

For an amusing childhood anecdote (actually a pair of them), I recall the drain outside our basement door that was clogged up with leaves and detrius, so a childhood friend came up with the explosive solution to hold a lit cherry bomb down into the drain (those fuses burn underwater). It worked wonderfully and the drain immediately evacuated with a distinct sucking sound. Some time later another drain in a basement laundry area sink got clogged. My older brother, seeing another opportunity to apply explosive plumbing, tried the old cherry bomb plunger trick.. this time the old soapstone sink, broke apart into several pieces. I don't recall if the drain opened up or not. At this point it was academic.

Glad it wasn't me...that time, and no don't try this at home.

JR

I recall once trying to clear a clogged drain pipe with water pressure (a cute hose attachment that expands to seal the pipe and pressurizes down stream.) However the water just flowed up and out of the roof vent. I had to get a friend to climb up on the roof and block that vent with his shoe while I applied pressure, before I was able to blow out that clog.

Since then I try to practice preventative maintenance with boiling water down some drains, when they get slow. I have two snakes but the clogs are never within easy snake reach.

JR

Hopefully your house has old-fashioned iron pipe soldered (plumbed?) plumbing. I was clearing a drain the other day, and there was a clog I just couldn't dislodge with the usual tools. Since my house have plastic drainpipes that are just plugged together with o-rings, applying pressure of any serious nature might have the pipes separate inside a wall with obvious expensive consequences. A combined wet-and-dry hoover did the trick and pulled out a hairball that looked like it could have been a mouse, a lemming or a small rat (but I'm sure it was just a hairball accumulated over years).
I blame it on environmentally friendly detergents, mild soaps and water saving shower heads :twisted: