Marc Lopez of Yamaha Commercial Audio Q&A

Re: Marc Lopez of Yamaha Commercial Audio Q&A

Marc,

Where is the Mute Group Dimmer in the circuit path for the channel? It's not shown in the block diagram and the manual doesn't say.
Hi Andy,

The MUTE Group Dimmer on CL/QL is located at the ON/OFF of the channel and the MIX/MATRIX ON/OFF Send - they are linked attenuators. It is not marked on the block diagram. I've marked it in red on the image.
Mute Dimmer CL-QL.png

Last edited:

Another "Recall Safe" question...

How does one Recall safe the Mixer Setup? (Stereo/Mono Mixes, etc.)

It seems to reset on each scene change and I can't find a way to safe it, at least in the Editor.
Hi Andy,

I apologize for the late responses. The Bus Setup area of CL/QL cannot be Recall Safe'd and will be part of the Scene Memory because the Mix/Matrix Send values being recalled are dependent to those setup parameters. I hope that make sense. Let me know if that needs further clarification.

Hello Marc!

I would love to see a feature that allows to you group scenes and update them all with relative values added to the CL/QL line. The new PM10 has the "overlay filter" feature which essentially does this.

Being able to update scenes relative to each other is only a feature on the Digico and Avid desks (that I know of), but it would nice to see Yamaha's reputation for reliability enhanced with an excellent snapshot/scene system.

Is this a possibility with the CL/QL or will Yamaha save it only for the top end of the market?
Hi Josh,

I will note your request for CL/QL. I don't believe that the feature would be intentionally kept as an upper end feature, but there may be technical limitations on the lower cost products that prohibit us from implementing it fully.

Sorry....one more question....

Happy New Year btw!

The website says the Rio boxes are 96k capable but the CL line is listed as 48k.

Are there plans for the CL desks to run at 96k in a future firmware update?

The biggest reason I'd like 96k is for reduced latency.

Thanks again for being here!!
Hi Josh,

CL was designed as a 48kHz Mixer, and there are no plans to run it at 96kHz with half channel counts in the future. I understand your reasoning for decreased latency. The reason Rio units are 96kHz capable is compatibility with current (PM5D/DM2000/etc.) and future 96kHz products.

Hi Reid,

It may be possible to run the console at 96kHz and have the slot run at half speed like our other 96kHz consoles can (PM5D, DM2000, DM1000, etc.). One potential issue with that is that there is no anti-aliasing filter when using it in that mode, so technically there is a possibility for audible artifacts when using that mode.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your reply. That makes sense. I guess in my application I could insert a Klark Technic DN9652, with Dante Cards in both sides, so the two clock domains remain isolated but they can still communicate..... I look forward to checking out the PM10 Next year....

Will the PM10 have Point to Point Routing like the QL Does? The ability to route channels through the console without having to hit a channel strip is really cool... For example, sending a ST Matrix to a Lake Card, having it do a bunch of PA outputs, and then hitting Analog or AES outputs at a stage rack... Or, having a channel come in over the dante network, and being able to come out analog at the stage rack, without having to hit a fader on the console.... I've found it helpful on the QL, but wish it was on the CL....

Anyways- looking forward to see a PM10 when they come out....

Hi Andy,

I apologize for the late responses. The Bus Setup area of CL/QL cannot be Recall Safe'd and will be part of the Scene Memory because the Mix/Matrix Send values being recalled are dependent to those setup parameters. I hope that make sense. Let me know if that needs further clarification.
Even if every parameter on the console is safed, still that function is not safed. Shouldn't it be a recall-safeable parameter as well?

Even if every parameter on the console is safed, still that function is not safed. Shouldn't it be a recall-safeable parameter as well?
Hi Andy,

The Bus Setup has not been part of Recall Safe on any of our digital mixers, although it has always been part of Scene Recall. Allowing it to be Recall Safe'd presents an issue in the case that non-Stereo paired channels would be recalled and the Bus Setting for those particular Mixes was Recalled Safe'd as a Stereo Pair. Having no Recall Safe on Bus Setup becomes even more essential when you have 5.1 surround as an option (coming in V3).

Hi Andy,

The Bus Setup has not been part of Recall Safe on any of our digital mixers, although it has always been part of Scene Recall. Allowing it to be Recall Safe'd presents an issue in the case that non-Stereo paired channels would be recalled and the Bus Setting for those particular Mixes was Recalled Safe'd as a Stereo Pair. Having no Recall Safe on Bus Setup becomes even more essential when you have 5.1 surround as an option (coming in V3).

Pardon me for asking, but doesn't this present an even bigger issue in that you could easily recall a different buss setup and wreck an entire show?

Hey Marc;

Have a look at this issue with Yamaha Console Connector. I would think this is a bug, as there should be no reason to have to set the console's network address to the Dante Subnet. It also makes it difficult to use the console with StageMix or other wireless networks as (at least on the Airport) you can't select subnets other than 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.10.xxx.xxx.

I'm not sure how Dante assigns IP addresses, but it seems that Dante and the Console are in conflict in trying to assign the computer an IP that it likes.

Hello Mark,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. However there is a small bug in the newest CL software (3.1) I have tried to get on to Yamaha Australia, but am waiting to hear back from them. The bug is as follows: The new 'LR Nominal' panning parameter is not recalled by scenes nor linked in channels that are linked.

I would also like to request than some MS decoding functionality be implemented in the console, and, that the port to port patching that was announced for the QL consoles be implemented for the CL consoles if at all possible (The particular use case I am thinking of would have a Lake card in the console, and the outputs sent to an Ro8 unit in an amp rack).

Kind Regards,

Phillip

Last edited:

Hello Mark,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. However there is a small bug in the newest CL software (3.1) I have tried to get on to Yamaha Australia, but am waiting to hear back from them. The bug is as follows: The new 'LR Nominal' panning parameter is not recalled by scenes nor linked in channels that are linked.

I would also like to request than some MS decoding functionality be implemented in the console, and, that the port to port patching that was announced for the QL consoles be implemented for the CL consoles if at all possible (The particular use case I am thinking of would have a Lake card in the console, and the outputs sent to an Ro8 unit in an amp rack).

Kind Regards,

Phillip
Hi Phillip,

I'm happy to help!

The LR Nominal parameter has historically been a "setup preference" item on our digital consoles which are not part of the recall system, but it seems that on CL it should be a recallable channel parameter based on where you access it. I'll check with our engineering team to see what the intention is. As far as being included in the Channel Link parameters, this parameter is part of the Pan function, and Pan cannot be linked. Typically you are setting Pan differently for linked channels, but I understand why you may want it linked.

I will put MS decoding on the wish list, and unfortunately as Andy points out above, Port to Port is not possible on CL. We made some improvements on the QL DSP to allow it. I assume for your MY8-LAKE use case that you want to use it for crossovers and not have to use up extra MIX/MATRIX channels. I would recommend using RSio64-D.

Marc

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I understand the arguments for and against including the LR Nominal parameter as part of the Channel Linking, but strongly believe it should be part of the Console automation. Part of the issue, I think, is one of my other quibbles with the Yamaha Way (which I generally like) is not dividing the internal memory structure into Shows and Scenes. Instead to load another show one must use a USB stick or CL Editor. What this means for the theatre I am currently in, and others I have visited, is that any show that is relatively simple is just saved to a single (or a few) scene(s) inside the consoles memory. With the general expectation that each scene will recall the entire console setup. As it stands this pretty much works for everything except the LR Nominal parameter (and the outport setup, however as that is not part of the channel strip parameter space, I dont take such issue with that decision).

I thought I had read somewhere that port to port patching was not a possibility, but couldn't find where I had read that, so thought I'd double check. I am aware the RSio64 would be an option, but not needing it would be cheaper, eh.

There are actually two use cases I would like MS for. One is on the channel inputs. In this case designating a channel as a 'side' channel would just reverse polarity on the right side of any stereo buses it is assigned to. I would also like to see the possibility of using MS matrtixies as part of the insert structure on stereo channels/buses, with the 8 Band parametrics and or premium rack. Other than a MS matrix on both sides of the insert(s) all that would be needed is trim control inside the matrix to turn the mid or side up or down a bit. One of the use cases where I imagine this would be handy, though Ive not tried it is on drum kits.... I do very minimal miking on kits surprisingly often, between two and four microphones. In instances where I am running stereo overheads, often just with a kick mic added, it would give me a little scope to rebalance/eq the kit a bit. Anyway, I understand it's probably not high on the list, however I think it would be fairly straightforward to do (says the most definitely not a software engineer).

Very best,

Phillip.

Last edited:

The Bus Setup area of CL/QL cannot be Recall Safe'd and will be part of the Scene Memory because the Mix/Matrix Send values being recalled are dependent to those setup parameters.

Pardon me for asking, but doesn't this present an even bigger issue in that you could easily recall a different buss setup and wreck an entire show?

Just in case anyone needs to change bus pairing after scenes are created or recall safe the bus pairing on a Yamaha console, have a look here.