Martin MLA pricing?

Re: Martin MLA pricing?

I read it was $1 million to start, and they only sell complete systems, so the price of individual components don't really matter.

So I guess, John, you probably can't afford it
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

John,

Have they released it to we the grubby-handed public yet? Last time I talked to Ferrit about it they were still running trials with their close friends and relatives. Of course, I don't think there was snow on the ground then, so it could have been some time ago...

It does look like a hell of a product. I am hoping to get my ears on it.

One imagines that if the box is ''not for sale'' then the price must match... I bet the people taking it out right now won't be paying that much. However, it is also the absolute pinnacle of currently available DSP processing, and does things no other product on the market can do right now. If that's not worth anything to you, then the price is summarily ridiculous.

Their fly frames are rated for 24 boxes.

So a ''full'' rig of 48 boxes would be at least $1,200,000 based on the speculated pricing.

Bennett, hurry up and get a Road Test.

icon_wink.gif

Helge,

I assume you are talking about this: http://www.duran-audio.com/index.php?page=target-system&hl=en_US

For those of you who don't know, Duran Audio makes the Intellivox, which is a great product. I think that's what's in Grand Central Station, talk about a difficult acoustic environment.

I have installed quite a few Intellivox products.

They work much better than other similar claimed products for the intended usage.

The other products ''miss the mark'' on the intended usage and have other ''advantages'' which do not matter when you are trying to get vocal out into a difficult room.

And they are less expensive-but don't work as well either. So yeah-the customer can save money-but they also don't get what they want either.

One imagines that if the box is ''not for sale'' then the price must match... I bet the people taking it out right now won't be paying that much. However, it is also the absolute pinnacle of currently available DSP processing, and does things no other product on the market can do right now. If that's not worth anything to you, then the price is summarily ridiculous.

Just like any other technology,the price will drop as others come up with something as good or better.And we know that will happen sooner or later.But here's the thing.Back in the late 80's early 90's Apple had the best computer platform out there,but few could afford it.Enter Bill Gates and the PC dominated the market.If Martin is wise,they will price their boxes competitively and sell more. You can ask more for a better product,but if the price is so out of line that relatively few can afford it,you won't sell many. Apple learned it's lesson and turned things around with competively priced items like the ipod,iphone and ipad.

The real issue is that the manufacturer that goes first has to recoup the bulk of the R&D costs. They can price low to gain market share, but if they never even break even, what good does it do them? This is why with, say digital consoles, a company typically spends a lot of R&D, and releases a high-cost, high end offering. After some of the R&D is recouped, they can release a lower version at much lower internal cost.

Somewhat disagree with the Apple example, but I see your point.

If it were about cheap and high quantity, why don't we all use MI grade gear? The Pro market is about the right tool for the job, not the cheapest tool (in large amounts).

Another +1 to cheap and poorly deployed line arrays being evil.

(edit - forgot a word)

I disagree! cheap line arrays are killing this industry

I said nothing about cheap. What I was talking about was pricing one's product out of the market.It doesn't cost $25,000 to build a box. The high price is partly to recoup R&D expenses.

So you can recoup your expenses 2 ways.Sell a few at $25,000 or alot at $10,000.One more thing. I have heard some ''cheap'' line arrays sound great in the right hands. And some very expensive ones sound terrible in the wrong hands.