Midas Pro 1

Re: Midas Pro 1

Hi Justice,
I am with The Music Group, and can help with training for Midas. I am based in Dallas so I am relatively close to Tulsa. My contact info is below would be happy to assist.
Kind regards,
HILL Michael
Manager, Customer Support
MUSIC Group Services NV Inc.
Tel: +1 702 371 0103
Email: [email protected]
Web: [FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.midasconsoles.com[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] | [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]www.klarkteknik.com[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] | [/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Turbosound - Professional Loudspeaker Systems

[/FONT]

Hey Justice,

I am the Training and customer support manager in Las Vegas Nevada. The PRO Series training courses are tentatively going to be scheduled for November. The training courses are free, so we are encouraging everybody to come to our office in Vegas, spend a couple of days, and get the certification. I will be in the UK with Jason by the end of the month to set up all the requirements for our North American training.

Please, if anyone in this thread has or needs any assistance or questions with any MIDAS / KLARK TEKNIK product, do not hesitate to email me directly or to my outstanding team of technicians.

I will also be scanning the forums to answer any outstanding questions.

Hope we can help.

Kyle Chirnside
Manager- Customer Support and Training PRO
MUSIC Group Services US, Inc.

Email: [email protected] [email protected]

Web: Midas Consoles Klark Teknik Turbosound - Professional Loudspeaker Systems

I used the pro1 this weekend for the first time but didn´t really have time to test and learn as much as I would have wanted to but it felt like the compressors were quite aggressive. How much compression is the soft-clipping feature of the analog pre´s inducing? I mostly used the analog gains so maybe it affected my perception of the compressors. Otherwise I really enjoyed the console but comming from an all Yamaha background it took some getting used to how to navigate it. Is there an easier way to turn on the aux sends for channels? Now I just clicked the down arrow til i got to the sends section and pressed the assignable button turning the send on.

Is there by the way any explanation of the different compressor modes and EQ shapes?

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been on vacation.

Using the up/down arrow keys and the enter button when using the crosshair navigation on the channel home view is one way to turn the aux sends on for channels.

Another way to add channels to a mix, or turn them on, is to press and hold down the mix select (to the right of the detail strip) you can use the LCD buttons to turn those channels on and push up the faders to send to that mix. You can also use the VCA and POP groups to bring the channels you need to the surface using this method.

An alternative that I like to use a lot is the 'Collapsed Flip' mode. This can be turned on by going to the preference/user menu and ticking the 'Collapsed Flip' box. When this mode is enabled the 'flip' mode works slightly differently, in that when you select an output the console will only show you the channels that a switched 'on' to that mix. So if you are only sending snare and toms to a reverb for instance and all other channels are turned off, you would only be shown those channels on the control surface. Of course there will always be a times when you need to add channels quickly to a mix. For instance the bass players monitor mix started off with just Kick, Snare, Bass and Vocals. He now wants HiHat and Guitars in his mix. So you can then use the 'hold down mix select' method described above to add channels to that mix. I've found that I actually prefer the 'collapsed flip' method because I can see very quickly what is actually going to a mix and what is not. It's also a very efficient use of channels faders, which again helps to keep relevant information on the surface when I need it.

We are also working a couple of additions options at the moment. One of those will be a global on/off function, similar to the global pre/post function we currently have.

There are explanations of the various EQ modes and Compressor styles available in the various digital console manuals. There are also versions of these available as part of our Facebook User Group Documents here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/277557352273648/

Hope this helps,

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been on vacation.

Using the up/down arrow keys and the enter button when using the crosshair navigation on the channel home view is one way to turn the aux sends on for channels.

Another way to add channels to a mix, or turn them on, is to press and hold down the mix select (to the right of the detail strip) you can use the LCD buttons to turn those channels on and push up the faders to send to that mix. You can also use the VCA and POP groups to bring the channels you need to the surface using this method.

An alternative that I like to use a lot is the 'Collapsed Flip' mode. This can be turned on by going to the preference/user menu and ticking the 'Collapsed Flip' box. When this mode is enabled the 'flip' mode works slightly differently, in that when you select an output the console will only show you the channels that a switched 'on' to that mix. So if you are only sending snare and toms to a reverb for instance and all other channels are turned off, you would only be shown those channels on the control surface. Of course there will always be a times when you need to add channels quickly to a mix. For instance the bass players monitor mix started off with just Kick, Snare, Bass and Vocals. He now wants HiHat and Guitars in his mix. So you can then use the 'hold down mix select' method described above to add channels to that mix. I've found that I actually prefer the 'collapsed flip' method because I can see very quickly what is actually going to a mix and what is not. It's also a very efficient use of channels faders, which again helps to keep relevant information on the surface when I need it.

We are also working a couple of additions options at the moment. One of those will be a global on/off function, similar to the global pre/post function we currently have.

There are explanations of the various EQ modes and Compressor styles available in the various digital console manuals. There are also versions of these available as part of our Facebook User Group Documents here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/277557352273648/

Hope this helps,

How do I do monitors from FOH … and have the Aux sends pre fader, and pre EQ and dynamics?

Hi Justice,
I am with The Music Group, and can help with training for Midas. I am based in Dallas so I am relatively close to Tulsa.

Well, that's good to hear. I assume that you are going to have a session set up in Dallas at some point in the near future?
Hey Justice,

I am the Training and customer support manager in Las Vegas Nevada. The PRO Series training courses are tentatively going to be scheduled for November.

Las Vegas is a 24 hour drive for me, so it won't do much good to have a bunch of training sessions there. And since we don't have any Midas consoles of any variety in house, and don't plan on having any pretty much ever, the City won't pay for me to go to Vegas to train up on them.

Also, are these training events actually for the Midas Pro series consoles? I'm not interested in ever touching the Behringer X32.

Justice,

Las Vegas is a cheap flight and hotel away. The training courses are the same as the courses offer in the UK by Mr. Kelly as outlined on Midas Consoles. To actually jump on a demo, Michael Hill would be your best bet. Another way, would be to download the offline editor software on the site as well. This will give you a DAW style version you can create shows, patching, effects and eq racks, set up groups - a very basic screen view of the Midas operation, without passing audio. Any other issues or questions, hit me up.

[email protected]

Kyle Chirnside
Midas-Klark Teknik-Turbosound US
Manager - Customer Tech Support

Well, that's good to hear. I assume that you are going to have a session set up in Dallas at some point in the near future?

Las Vegas is a 24 hour drive for me, so it won't do much good to have a bunch of training sessions there. And since we don't have any Midas consoles of any variety in house, and don't plan on having any pretty much ever, the City won't pay for me to go to Vegas to train up on them.

Also, are these training events actually for the Midas Pro series consoles? I'm not interested in ever touching the Behringer X32.

Justice, you should try living in a small country like I do. You don't know how spoiled you are in the US regarding training classes on digital consoles or audio gear in general, for that matter.

I have NEVER had access to a Yamaha digital training class. All my digital consoles (7 Yamahas) have been figured out using manuals, shop time (lots of it) and the PSW+this place.

It seems like you expect every manufacturer to show up at your doorstep to provide training and at the same time you're acting like every manufacturer except Yamaha is unusable, so you won't buy their stuff anyway. What do you expect?

Here, at least, venues that buy big digital consoles has the installing firm provide training at time of installation.

The PRO1 and PRO2 has always been able to have GEQ's on faders. PRO3/6/9 & XL8 now also have this ability.

Hope this helps,

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can only bring the graphic eq up on the faders as long as you have a geq inserted from the geq rack. Which if you use the geq rack you lose the ability to use a parametric eq for that output. So you can not have a peq and a geq at the sametime. And the fix for that was that gen2 software now has a geq in the effects rack. Although when used in this manner you now have to route your output through the effects rack in the patching screen which doesn't allow the geq to be inserted on the mix so it can not be displayed on the geq faders. So you are forced to us the mouse or the assignable encoders for your geq.

I think they should put a dual parametric eq in the effects rack so that we can use the faders from the geq still.
Fyi I can use both peq and geq on the outputs of my behringer x32.

Just my two cents.

Hi Jeff,

You are partly right. But I think we look at mic amps in a slightly different way to most other manufacturers and this has affected how we approach digital console gain and the way it is used.

Our mic amps have always been specifically designed to respond very musically and be very controlled when overdriven. In fact many engineers have grown use the ability to overdrive our mic amps as part of the sound that they create. It is another tool in their tool box. We made a concerted effort to make sure that the mic amps of our digital consoles could be used in the same creative way. If an engineer wants to use the available headroom to create a more 'open' and 'airy' sound, or if they wish to overdrive the mic amp and use the coloration that is developed they should be able to do so. Whether its a mic amp connected to an analogue or digital console. Of course when using a digital console we have to make sure that its not possible to create digital distortion, as this would not be musical or pleasing.
Did this approach make it into the x32 as well?

Are you able to elaborate on what are/might be the differences between the midas peamps and the x32 preamps from an audio perspective?

/--robert