New DIY Mid High (90deg) - AKA PM90

Re: New DIY Mid High

I think I could write a 20 page paper on what the correct frequency response alignment should be; and I don’t think it’s as simple as most people think.

For example, cinema has the X-curve, and live sound engineers use microphones that typically have a 5dB presence peak between typically 4 KHZ and 10 KHz. They also have a LF proximity boost which varies from about -5dB to+10 dB depending on the distance you are away from the microphone.

So why, why do we have an X curve; although you may not agree with it or think it’s appropriate for live sound, which it’s not, someone felt it was so important that they put it into a standard, why(?), and why do we like microphones that are not flat. If you are going to argue that a speaker should have a flat frequency response, why not the same for the microphone?

I have always found it interesting when you mix a live concert that it’s often difficult to get the vocals to stand out, they are often lost in the mix but when you play a recording back on your studio monitors, there they are as clear as a bell, and probably louder than you would like. Why?

I think there are a several things that affect how we align our speakers, the psychoacoustics effects in the room including the first 30ms of arrivals, as well as the overall quality of the speaker.

If the speaker is particularly good in terms of its amplitude, phase, distortion and time domain issues you can easily separate all the instruments in the mix, you don’t have to push the vocals or make them a little bright, they will sit nicely and clearly in the mix at the correct level. There is no need to boost the HF to add clarity. It’s so easy to mix on that type of speaker; you don’t spend half the night chasing your tail feeling like you have never got the mix quite right.

I designed this speaker with that in mind. The 12 inch mid-range operates only in its piston range with the small volume between the driver and horn throat aching as a lowpass filter. Only between about 80Hz and150 Hz is there a compromise where there is assistance from the port.

I designed it to be used with DSP correction. A “perfect speaker” operating into a fixed solid angle of radiation with a rigid cone will not have a flat frequency response. Cone speakers use narrowing directivity with increasing frequency and cone breakup to extend their HF response.

Providing you are correcting things that are linear it’s perfectly fine to use DSP correction. In this case the lumps and bumps that are defined in Hornresp below about 800Hz.

The use of a two way coaxial high frequency driver also means that the VHF is not defined by diaphragm break up modes and the 4594 can go low enough to reach down to the piston range of the 12 inch drivers.

I voiced the speaker to sound as natural and realistic as I could, so that my voice on the measurement mic (Earthworks M30) sounded EXACTY like me. I got people to listen to me and then turn away and talk into the measurement mic and ask them if the speaker sounded exactly like me as a check. I played tracks with male and female voices and natural instruments. I voiced it with typical microphones:- SM58, B58, KSM9 & KSM105. I took my best guess, but it’s not hard to change it to flat or whatever, even a death metal ice pick in the forehead above 3K setting.

Interestingly, I seem to have voiced it similar to RCF’s newTT2a and TT5a. (I can’t find any plots for d&b and L-acoustic products)

Attachments

• TT5a.jpg
    TT5a.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 97
  • step.jpg
    step.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Here is my SIM Vs the measured response for the double 12 mid. The measured has a slightly greater peak at 400Hz. I suspect that is because the box may be slightly more directional because of the W arragement of the horn comprared to the model used by hornresp.

Note: - As I said above it was designed to be used with DSP correction and that the divisions are only +/- 5dB, not 10 dB that we often see on manufactures spec sheets.

Attachments

• mid response.jpg
    mid response.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

I think I could write a 20 page paper on what the correct frequency response alignment should be; and I don’t think it’s as simple as most people think.

For example, cinema has the X-curve, and live sound engineers use microphones that typically have a 5dB presence peak between typically 4 KHZ and 10 KHz. They also have a LF proximity boost which varies from about -5dB to+10 dB depending on the distance you are away from the microphone.
]

The X curve is GREATLY misunderstood by most people.

Simply because they do not understand WHY it came about and HOW it is used.

As with many things, people take a little bit of knowledge (without proper background) and then try to apply it something in totally the WRONG way.

A short history. It was found that when speakers were placed behind a perf screen the top end naturally rolled off. A standard curve of this response was determined and is the X curve. So all cinema speakers are tuned to this standard-so that no matter if they are placed behind the screen (different screens have different rolloffs-so the speakers need to be eqed differently) or if they are exposed.

So this curve is applied to the playback/monitor speakers in a move production facility. This is so the mix engineer will hear and "mix" the sound so that it sounds correct when PLAYED BACK through a system that has this response. So what happens is that top end gets boosted in the recording-to compensate for the loss of the speakers behind the screen.

If this mix is played back through a system that does not have the HF rolled off-then it will sound bright.

It is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE to use this curve in a live music situation-but that doesn't stop those who don't understand the PURPOSE and intent of the curve. They just think it is "cool" because they are doing something that other people may not have heard of and certainly don't understand.

I disagree with the statements about presence peaks and proximity effect. YES they are real and do exist and do cause issues, HOWEVER I don't want to tune my rig for a couple of microphones. What about all the sources that DON'T have these effects? Direct lines-condenser mics etc.

I fell it is far better to deal with the OFFENDING channels, rather to attempt to tune for those and then try to "make it up" on all the channels that don't have the PROBLEM.

OF course everybody has their own methods and ideas-but I will always hold by my statements that the speaker system should be as flat as possible in order to ACCURATELY reproduce what is coming into it without adding its own "coloration".

It is funny to me how many people like to talk about having an "accurate" system-and then do all kinds of things to make NOT ACCURATE-both audibly and measurably.

OH WELL---------------------------- I'll just keep doing what I do, the way I feel is best. Other are free to disagree

I disagree with the statements about presence peaks and proximity effect. YES they are real and do exist and do cause issues, HOWEVER I don't want to tune my rig for a couple of microphones. What about all the sources that DON'T have these effects? Direct lines-condenser mics etc.

I fell it is far better to deal with the OFFENDING channels, rather to attempt to tune for those and then try to "make it up" on all the channels that don't have the PROBLEM.

Ivan,

I don't think Peter was recommending tuning the system in a way to compensate for non-linear microphone responses. He was just commenting that it is interesting that even with a linear PA the microphones we prefer have these issues.

Jason

Have you been to the Klippel HP lately?
Might change your mind.

Why would you want to start with a electro-mechanically broken or inferior system to begin with, that is plain crazy?
Unless it is just an exercise in signal processing?

The problem was that many manufactures for a period as DSPs became very popular became heavily reliant on linear processing to flatten the on-axis response instead of spending time on improving transducer designs. All I was saying is that that era seems to finally have come to an end.

As that relates to Peter's design, my comment was simply in reference to how by selecting well behaved components to begin with, he was able to come up with a simpler crossover design which worked well. Perhaps even something which could be implemented from analog components.

All of this has nothing to do with what Klippel and others are working on, to move on to another level of signal processing, where we start to compensate for non-linear issues present even in the most advanced transducer designs.

Mark

Last edited:

Why would you want to start with a electro-mechanically broken or inferior system to begin with, that is plain crazy?
Unless it is just an exercise in signal processing?

The problem was that many manufactures for a period as DSPs became very popular became heavily reliant on linear processing to flatten the on-axis response instead of spending time on improving transducer designs. All I was saying is that that era seems to finally have come to an end.

As that relates to Peter's design, my comment was simply in reference to how by selecting well behaved components to begin with, he was able to come up with a simpler crossover design which worked well. Perhaps even something which could be implemented from analog components.

All of this has nothing to do with what Klippel and others are working on, to move on to another level of signal processing, where we start to compensate for non-linear issues present even in the most advanced transducer designs.

Mark

I think there needs to be a distinction between design where DSP is part of the original design (and this approach guides design compromises), and DSP which is added after a design is done. I agree that the latter is a "band-aid" approach, but the former is a very powerful tool.

I think there needs to be a distinction between design where DSP is part of the original design (and this approach guides design compromises), and DSP which is added after a design is done. I agree that the latter is a "band-aid" approach, but the former is a very powerful tool.

Well, we are using broad strokes here to describe some very nuanced things. I would agree with you in some examples and not in other. For example, the integration of DSP to control line array coverage, I would agree. The use of DSP to boost/flatten LF or HF response, use that higher number as the sensitivity, and only publish the processed response, I would not. Also, using PEQ to cut/boost huge resonance issues in drivers, so that they don't appear in the sensitivity measurement, but show up disproportionately at higher power levels... Anyway, I didn't want to keep what was supposed to be a compliment, going totally off topic.

P.S. Maybe I'm just biased as someone who makes transducers for living. It's not as if I don't use a DSP for everything, and I'm sure as hell not advocating passive networks as being somehow superior.

Last edited:

So why, why do we have an X curve; although you may not agree with it or think it’s appropriate for live sound, which it’s not, someone felt it was so important that they put it into a standard, why(?), and why do we like microphones that are not flat. If you are going to argue that a speaker should have a flat frequency response, why not the same for the microphone?

I have always found it interesting when you mix a live concert that it’s often difficult to get the vocals to stand out, they are often lost in the mix but when you play a recording back on your studio monitors, there they are as clear as a bell, and probably louder than you would like. Why?

I think there are a several things that affect how we align our speakers, the psychoacoustics effects in the room including the first 30ms of arrivals, as well as the overall quality of the speaker.

If the speaker is particularly good in terms of its amplitude, phase, distortion and time domain issues you can easily separate all the instruments in the mix, you don’t have to push the vocals or make them a little bright, they will sit nicely and clearly in the mix at the correct level. There is no need to boost the HF to add clarity. It’s so easy to mix on that type of speaker; you don’t spend half the night chasing your tail feeling like you have never got the mix quite right.

I designed this speaker with that in mind. The 12 inch mid-range operates only in its piston range with the small volume between the driver and horn throat aching as a lowpass filter. Only between about 80Hz and150 Hz is there a compromise where there is assistance from the port.

I designed it to be used with DSP correction. A “perfect speaker” operating into a fixed solid angle of radiation with a rigid cone will not have a flat frequency response. Cone speakers use narrowing directivity with increasing frequency and cone breakup to extend their HF response.

Providing you are correcting things that are linear it’s perfectly fine to use DSP correction. In this case the lumps and bumps that are defined in Hornresp below about 800Hz.

The use of a two way coaxial high frequency driver also means that the VHF is not defined by diaphragm break up modes and the 4594 can go low enough to reach down to the piston range of the 12 inch drivers.

I voiced the speaker to sound as natural and realistic as I could, so that my voice on the measurement mic (Earthworks M30) sounded EXACTY like me. I got people to listen to me and then turn away and talk into the measurement mic and ask them if the speaker sounded exactly like me as a check. I played tracks with male and female voices and natural instruments. I voiced it with typical microphones:- SM58, B58, KSM9 & KSM105. I took my best guess, but it’s not hard to change it to flat or whatever, even a death metal ice pick in the forehead above 3K setting.

Interestingly, I seem to have voiced it similar to RCF’s newTT2a and TT5a. (I can’t find any plots for d&b and L-acoustic products)

Perhaps it's a feature with the BMS driver?
I've seen a similar response in at least one more speaker employing a BMS driver.

The X curve is GREATLY misunderstood by most people.

Simply because they do not understand WHY it came about and HOW it is used.

As with many things, people take a little bit of knowledge (without proper background) and then try to apply it something in totally the WRONG way.

A short history. It was found that when speakers were placed behind a perf screen the top end naturally rolled off. A standard curve of this response was determined and is the X curve. So all cinema speakers are tuned to this standard-so that no matter if they are placed behind the screen (different screens have different rolloffs-so the speakers need to be eqed differently) or if they are exposed.

So this curve is applied to the playback/monitor speakers in a move production facility. This is so the mix engineer will hear and "mix" the sound so that it sounds correct when PLAYED BACK through a system that has this response. So what happens is that top end gets boosted in the recording-to compensate for the loss of the speakers behind the screen.

If this mix is played back through a system that does not have the HF rolled off-then it will sound bright.

It is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE to use this curve in a live music situation-but that doesn't stop those who don't understand the PURPOSE and intent of the curve. They just think it is "cool" because they are doing something that other people may not have heard of and certainly don't understand.

OF course everybody has their own methods and ideas-but I will always hold by my statements that the speaker system should be as flat as possible in order to ACCURATELY reproduce what is coming into it without adding its own "coloration".

It is funny to me how many people like to talk about having an "accurate" system-and then do all kinds of things to make NOT ACCURATE-both audibly and measurably.

OH WELL---------------------------- I'll just keep doing what I do, the way I feel is best. Other are free to disagree

http://www.aes.org/technical/documentDownloads.cfm?docID=391

"Background to the X Curve

The cinema reproduction chain is regarded as having two sections; the A and B chains. The B
chain comprises the elements of interest for this paper: those that follow the switching of signal
sources including equalisers, power amplifiers, loudspeakers, screen, and modifications to the
sound caused by auditorium acoustics and distance to listeners.

The X Curve (X stands for Experimental) represents the target shape for the steady state
frequency response of cinema sound systems when measured with pink noise at a reference
position. The X curve, originally promulgated as ISO2969 and subsequently adopted by the
SMPTE as S202, has been specified for many years and relates only to the B Chain and
therefore has no role in pre-emphasis or other signal corrections.

Allen1 describes the history of the X Curve equalisation and presents an explanation of the
factors that are thought to be addressed by it. Figure 1 reproduced from Allen1 shows the
steady-state frequency response of the B Chain as specified by the X Curve.

Allen notes that in listening tests, an equalisation slope of around -3 dB per octave from about 2
kHz seemed to give the best aural results, along with a slight limitation to low-frequency
bandwidth. The low-frequency limitation is easy to explain - more low-frequency energy would
probably overload the loudspeaker and generate distortion components. Allen suggests that the
reason for the apparently desirable HF droop is not easy to explain, but offers three possibilities,
singly or in combination:

• Some psychoacoustic phenomena involving the integration of faraway sound and picture.

• Some distortion components in the loudspeaker, making HF objectionable.

• The result of reverberation build-up, as described below.

The bulk of the Allen’s explanation concerns the effect of reverberation, and it is this issue that
this paper discusses."

Last edited:

Well, we are using broad strokes here to describe some very nuanced things. I would agree with you in some examples and not in other. For example, the integration of DSP to control line array coverage, I would agree. The use of DSP to boost/flatten LF or HF response, use that higher number as the sensitivity, and only publish the processed response, I would not. Also, using PEQ to cut/boost huge resonance issues in drivers, so that they don't appear in the sensitivity measurement, but show up disproportionately at higher power levels... Anyway, I didn't want to keep what was supposed to be a compliment, going totally off topic.

P.S. Maybe I'm just biased as someone who makes transducers for living. It's not as if I don't use a DSP for everything, and I'm sure as hell not advocating passive networks as being somehow superior.

My take is possibly slightly different (?). I have qualifications in both electrical and mechanical engineering; so with an electro-mechanical system I like to look at the whole system as one.

I would suggest that as a transducer or speaker designer this gives you more freedom to optimise your design. If transduces or enclosures response does not have to be flat because it can be corrected with DSP then the focus can be on other aspects of the design so you can achieve better results in total – perhaps lower distortion or increase SPL etc.

This is exactly what I have done in this case. I knew from the start that the response of the mid was not going to be flat. My criteria for this box were size and weight - it had to be capable of being mounted on a stick. The combination of a ported horn gave me more SPL than any other combination I could find, but the maximum frequency was limited to about 800Hz.

As a transduce designer however I’m sure you should try to produce a flat frequency response, it would be hard to sell anything else.

FWIW the IIR settings for the plots I posted used 2 shelving filters and 2 PEQs for the mids, 3 x PEQs for the HF and 1 x PEQ for the VHF.

Peter

PS love the design of your 10”that you posted. Want some of those to play with :nod:.

Last edited:

My take is possibly slightly different (?). I have qualifications in both electrical and mechanical engineering; so with an electro-mechanical system I like to look at the whole system as one.
I would suggest that as a transducer or speaker designer this gives you more freedom to optimise your design. If transduces or enclosures response does not have to be flat because it can be corrected with DSP then the focus can be on other aspects of the design so you can achieve better results in total – perhaps lower distortion or increase SPL etc.
This is exactly what I have done in this case. I knew from the start that the response of the mid was not going to be flat. My criteria for this box were size and weight - it had to be capable of being mounted on a stick. The combination of a ported horn gave me more SPL than any other combination I could find, but the maximum frequency was limited to about 800Hz.
As a transduce designer however I’m sure you should try to produce a flat frequency response, it would be hard to sell anything else.
FWIW the IIR settings for the plots I posted used 2 shelving filters and 2 PEQs for the mids, 3 x PEQs for the HF and 1 x PEQ for the VHF.

I agree with what you are saying, especially your 'whole system' view point, and just to clarify I never said flat. I said well behaved ;-) I also understand that when all you have access to OEM drivers you don't have the same degrees of freedom you get when you can modify the driver parameters at will. We typically end up designing a new driver for 90% of our boxes and for many companies and DIY work that really isn't an option.

Anyway, good work on the design, looks really great to me.

Mark

Why -5db? As i have said, its a matter of taste.

Sorry I should have been more specific - Is that what your market is looking for? If so, why do you think they are looking for that extra HF, and what level do you set the subs?

I see many people using a lot of LF boost and then boosting the HF to compensate.

Why did I have -5 dB - because that's what sounded natural, exactly like the original. Flat it sounded too bright on my voice and program material.

What was interesting was the IIR settings, they were easy to do and to get to sound nice. The FIR settings in comparison were very hard to get right. Every small change / error was so noticeable. I suspect that's because when things start to sound real its easier to detect what's not quite right. Either that or I got lucky when I did the IIR settings.

... and sorry for the bad post above ... I can not seem to edit it at the moment

Last edited:

I agree with what you are saying, especially your 'whole system' view point, and just to clarify I never said flat. I said well behaved ;-) I also understand that when all you have access to OEM drivers you don't have the same degrees of freedom you get when you can modify the driver parameters at will. We typically end up designing a new driver for 90% of our boxes and for many companies and DIY work that really isn't an option.

Anyway, good work on the design, looks really great to me.

Mark

Exactly - if its "well behaved" you have a good chance of making do what you want with DSP ... if its not ... thats when the problems start.

Ivan,

Perhaps go back and have a re read of Peters post.

I think you will find he is not advocating tuning a system around the presence peak/proximity effect. He is simply stating that some input transducers we use are far from flat. People used to like the presence peak because it helped the vocals get on top of a mix. This may have been valid on older systems but with a good quality system nowadays it really isn't necessary. The more accurate a system is, the easier it is for our ears to separate the individual sources(hear space) in the mix.

Peters tunings/voicing's are a derivation of both measurement and critical listening.

Cheers,
Darren

I made a few more measurements-

Every thing is more or less +/- 3dB without correction over the operating bandwidth except the top end of the 4594 HF where it starts to drop around 6KHz.

4594 on RCF HP950 horn
- VHF and VHF IIR corrected with 4 x IIR filters
- HF and HF corrected with 1 x IIR filter

12 inch mid compared to sim. I took 5 measurements at different distances from the box and averaged the result. The ground reflection was causing some issues.Its a better result than the previous plot.

Note: SPL divisions are 5dB

Attachments

• 4594HE on RCF HF950.jpg
    4594HE on RCF HF950.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 116
  • sim Vs meausered.jpg
    sim Vs meausered.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Quote Originally Posted by Art Welter
4) That is simply not the case, larger diaphragm area of a given material thickness results in more output. The HF diaphragm of the 4594HE is relatively small. If you were to attempt to get 10 dB more output at 10kHz compared to a DH1A, the 4594HE HF coil would vaporize.

I do not understand this statement, at all. Obviously the BMS 4594 has higher sensitivity, and overall power handling (3x), than the DH1A.
And obviously, the high frequency diaphragms do not vaporize. The 4594 simply puts out way more sound than the EV.
Jack,

I'll explain: The BMS 4594 does have +3dB higher power rating than the EV DH1A. The 4594 "118 dB sensitivity" is on a 40 x 20 horn which is +3 dB over the same driver on a 60 x 40 horn, 115 dB at it's midband, as expected three dB more sensitive than a BMS 4550 on a 90 degree horn.
I tested the EV DH1A on the same Maltese horn as the BMS 4550 and BMS 4552, as you can see in the screen shot below, they are nearly identical in sensitivity, but the BMS drivers had much less output before distortion. If the 4592 HF diaphragm is smaller than the 4550 or 4552, it would also have less potential output.

How does the Sd of the 4592 HF diaphragm compare with the the 4550 or 4552?

Art

Attachments

• EV DH1A, BMS 4550&4552.png
    EV DH1A, BMS 4550&4552.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 47