New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Justice, isn't that QL's four custom fader layers (B1-B4) are something that CL desks don't have? Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like on QL you can assemble these layers pretty much out of any sources: inputs, groups, DCAs, etc.

The CL surface has multiple fader sections across the width of the surface, each of which has custom fader banks.

Mac

Justice, isn't that QL's four custom fader layers (B1-B4) are something that CL desks don't have? Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like on QL you can assemble these layers pretty much out of any sources: inputs, groups, DCAs, etc.

The CL surface has multiple fader sections across the width of the surface, each of which has custom fader banks.

Mac

Mac is correct. the CL consoles have multiples custom layers. And with the newly announced DCA Roll Out feature which is coming in the newly announced CL Version 2 firmware, and the ability to recall custom fader layers I think you will end up with the same functionality as Midas's Pop groups.

The QL consoles are nice from a feature perspective but are certainly BORING looking. C'mon Yamaha, where's the BLING? It's like walking into the flight deck of an airplane and seeing an empty room with the pilot flying via a joystick plugged into a laptop. Not really a fan of spreading the "gee, that doesn't look so hard" ideology to punters. I am a fan of simple to use, complicated looking gear. :lol:

I am only partly joking.

Last edited:

It's a good way to keep ignorant hands off as well. The more imposing something looks, the less likely it is that someone will mess with it.

Of course, there are always people who are immune to that.

I am liking the new console, so far everything looks promising. I think next year I maybe investing in the QL1 + Rio1608; set in a rolling rack for a nice compact wedding band system. Anyone know if Yamaha will run the "trade in, trade up" program for the LS9 to QL? That might push me sooner to buy a console.

It's a good way to keep ignorant hands off as well. The more imposing something looks, the less likely it is that someone will mess with it.

Of course, there are always people who are immune to that.

Yes. That too.

One of the problems I face all the time in this industry though is perception of quality based on what the kit looks like.

For a lot of band shows I do, I could comfortably do the tour on an SD11. But at some point, the client wants to see a desk thats a 3 man lift. Just like the recording engineer can produce a chart topping record 'in-the-box' but some clients just want to walk in and see a big-ass Neve, even if it isn't doing anything (other than costing you £2k a month in electricity!)...

Yes. That too.

One of the problems I face all the time in this industry though is perception of quality based on what the kit looks like.

For a lot of band shows I do, I could comfortably do the tour on an SD11. But at some point, the client wants to see a desk thats a 3 man lift. Just like the recording engineer can produce a chart topping record 'in-the-box' but some clients just want to walk in and see a big-ass Neve, even if it isn't doing anything (other than costing you £2k a month in electricity!)...
This is why you should ALWAYS have wireless-world af FOH :D

Excellent,..I was referring to the LS9 and M7CL not being able to fire midi note on off from the user defined keys, but good to see this one can do that if that is what you are saying.

Someone please explain to me how to cascade the desks. Also watching the FOH video I noticed they said 8 or 16 channel Dugan, so I guess that means the QL1 only has 16 dugan channels which would be a crying shame.

Pg. 186 of the manual explains cascading. Yes it's 16 channels of Dugan but only the speech module. I wonder if this is a verdict on the Music module? 16 channels is not a serious limit IMHO for speech.

Harry,

here's a suggested solution from Dan Dugan to incorporate more automix channels on one QL mixer:
(from the Dugan User Group forum: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/duganusers/info )

"The built-in automixer and an MY card can't be linked, but they can be cascaded. For example, mix the internal 16 channels to an aux bus, then route that to one input of an MY card, then add 15 more inputs for a total of 31.
-Dan"

Mike Eiseman
YCAS, Inc.

Someone please explain to me how to cascade the desks
Someone please explain to me how to cascade the desks.

When you cascade two desks one is master and the other is a "sidecar" with extra channels.

Basically, you mix whatever input channels are on desk one on the control surface of desk one and that desk behaves as if it was alone.

Desk number two has it's channels mixed on the surface of the second desk, but when you put a channel in a AUX, group or LR the signal is not sent to the physical outputs of desk two, the signals are instead routed via a cascade connection into the audio stream of the corresponding AUX, group, etc of desk number one.

That means that the AUX, group, etc masters of desk number one are just fed extra incoming audio streams along with the audio streams coming internally from the channels of desk number one.

Muting AUX master number 5 on desk number one would mute any AUX 5 bus content including that coming from desk number two. Operating AUX master number 5 on desk number two would have no effect as the signals are tapped and routed over to the cascade connection before the master fader.

Usually, PFL signals are also routed from desk two to desk one, so you can PFL something on desk two without having to unplug and replug your headset.

Typically, on a Yamaha desk, there will be a MIDI connection between the desks so that when you store or recall a scene on desk number one, desk number two follows suit so that it seems to you like you are just operating the scene library of one desk.

One can also send finished mixes coming out of the masters of desk number one back over to desk number two and route those signals to the physical outputs of desk number two without going through any channels, etc on desk number two.
The purpose would be to gain extra physical outputs that may not be located on desk one, so you can just utilize the physical outputs of desk number two as extra output ports.

Big analog sometimes had analog cascade ports.

Some Yamahas have a dedicated cascade port with a special multi-connector, but the most typical way to do it is to use a mini YGDAI-card of some sort to transfer the signals back and forth.

On the 01v96 it was common to use the built-in ADAT port + SPDIF port so that you could set up the cascade solution it without buying a card.

There is a demo of the QL here in LA on Monday, I hope to attend. If you guys want to post some questions for me to ask of the Yamaha rep feel free to. If anyone in the So Cal area wants to attend, PM me and I'll send you the info.
I'm not affiliated with any sales etc. just and end user.
Don

There is a demo of the QL here in LA on Monday, I hope to attend. If you guys want to post some questions for me to ask of the Yamaha rep feel free to. If anyone in the So Cal area wants to attend, PM me and I'll send you the info.
I'm not affiliated with any sales etc. just and end user.
Don

The biggest question is whether Yamaha have addressed the serious issues with the CL series in terms of audio stability. Up until very recent firmware versions, the CL has had big problems with dropping audio sync with the Dante network. I think, after much blaming, this is down to an issue with the CL, rather than anything to do with Dante.

So I'd like to know how they've addressed that with the QL series

The biggest question is whether Yamaha have addressed the serious issues with the CL series in terms of audio stability. Up until very recent firmware versions, the CL has had big problems with dropping audio sync with the Dante network. I think, after much blaming, this is down to an issue with the CL, rather than anything to do with Dante.

I have been using CL-5s fairly regularly since last Sept, and I have yet to experience this. How does it manifest itself?

Mac

Chris, I live in small closed world but I've not heard of this from any of the artist crews carrying CL. Is this a UK/EU thing?

I've not heard much complaint about CL stability either. It can sometimes be tricky to get all the Dante clocking figured out on a multiconsole system, but once things are ironed out it works just fine for all of our customers.

I've not heard much complaint about CL stability either. It can sometimes be tricky to get all the Dante clocking figured out on a multiconsole system, but once things are ironed out it works just fine for all of our customers.

Scott, one of the CL-5s I've used recently was one of yours (TC's), sub rented to OSA for a show at the Palmer House.