New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

My crystal ball says this is going to be expensive relative to the GLD line. The Rio boxes are pretty expensive, and this does in a lot of ways look like a CL with on-surface IO. I wish it had more than 16 mixes.
My personal shortest time from Crystal ball prediction to vindication:

MSRP:
QL1-$8500, QL5- $16500.

They'll sell a few, but this is hardly a LS9 replacement.

My personal shortest time from Crystal ball prediction to vindication:

MSRP:
QL1-$8500, QL5- $16500.

They'll sell a few, but this is hardly a LS9 replacement.

OK. But looking at that for a second.

Right now, from a european website with competitive pricing an LS9-16 is £4000, and a LS9-32 is £6000

At those MSRP prices, the QL1 and QL5 are £5100 and £9900 respectively. Now, I can normally expect less 20% at least, so thats £4080 and £7920.

So the QL1 looks like exactly an LS-9 replacement to me! Not to mention that includes a 64x64 dante interface, Dugan mixer and double the aux count!

Now the QL5 is more money, sure. But a GLD 112 bundle (so with some inputs) is still £6k, so its not on a different planet...

And the QL5 is less/the same money than an Si Performer 3, Vi1, SD9, Pro2, etc...

And lets not forget: All you guys looking for a real M7 replacement; the QL5 is it. Its spec-for-spec similar to an M7 (more inputs though) and even with racks will be less...

However, these prices do confirm my theory that i'd be better off owning 2 QL1s and cascading them for bigger shows...

OK. But looking at that for a second.

Right now, from a european website with competitive pricing an LS9-16 is £4000, and a LS9-32 is £6000

At those MSRP prices, the QL1 and QL5 are £5100 and £9900 respectively. Now, I can normally expect less 20% at least, so thats £4080 and £7920.

So the QL1 looks like exactly an LS-9 replacement to me! Not to mention that includes a 64x64 dante interface, Dugan mixer and double the aux count!

Now the QL5 is more money, sure. But a GLD 112 bundle (so with some inputs) is still £6k, so its not on a different planet...

And the QL5 is less/the same money than an Si Performer 3, Vi1, SD9, Pro2, etc...

And lets not forget: All you guys looking for a real M7 replacement; the QL5 is it. Its spec-for-spec similar to an M7 (more inputs though) and even with racks will be less...

However, these prices do confirm my theory that i'd be better off owning 2 QL1s and cascading them for bigger shows...

Street prices on an LS9-16 in the US are less than $4K, street prices on the LS9-32 are less than $8K, last I checked (which has been a while). And they're not selling very many. The QL series comes in with the MSRP being roughly twice that price; perhaps street prices will be only 50% more.

The GLD80 was offered with a free stage box last year, and it should be possible to get a GLD112 plus full digital snake for less than $15K - possibly significantly less, based on what I was able to get my GLD80 system for back in 2012. A QL5 plus 40 channels worth of Rios is going to be more like $25K.

The QL has Dante, but stage boxes are not included, and are expensive - twice-ish what GLD stageboxes are.

GLD has 20 real mix busses, and effects sends don't count from this pool. QL series apparently has limited mix busses, and effects busses come out of that pool.

Last edited:
Re: Fine Print

I got this email this morning and spent about 4 hours reading all the info on 3 different sites, and watching all the videos. This is MY console. I love the SD9 but it's a lot more money. 99% of my work could be done on a QL1 with a stage box or 2 and a lake card installed. The QL5 is preferred do to the fader count, but I can do it on the 16. I like this MUCH better than the CL series. My ideal channel count for 99% of my shows is about 35 or 36 but I can easily get away with 32 on most of them. The CL5 with stage boxes will do my band shows so I wouldn't have to rent a 5D anymore. Keeping in mind these are all corpie shows. I have to HEAR the desk to decide for rock and roll, but I must say I have never had a show go down because I was mixing on a 5D instead of something else and now that I have the Waves Rack, if I was touring with this, I would just buy what I wanted for the waves. The other thing about this desk, is Dante is on the inserts. I do not know if it's on all the inserts but I assume it is. That is not the case as of yet on the CL. THis means I could use Dante with the waves rack assuming low enough latency, and I could use dante with the lake card. It's like Yamaha listened to all my gripes and complaints over the years and packaged it all up in this desk. They even got rid of that stupid WHEEL on the LS9. I hate that wheel. Touch and Turn is ideal. The only digital desk I evern felt truly comfortable mixing on before this was the InnovaSon. I trained many BEs in 5 minutes to mix on that desk. It's hard to program but easy to mix on. Now Yamaha has finally exceeded that ease of use.

Edit, I forgot to mention it has a 16 channel Dugan built in!

Re: New Yamaha Console?

Huh, the first time I talked to those Ycats they had no idea what dugan was. I wanted it to be in the desk and available on any and every channel. I'm pretty Sure Bink piled on too. I wonder who else.... That was in 2005 or 2006 iirc.

Re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Ql1 looks nice, but there's only 32 channels to mix. Why this limitation?
I don't need all the faders on the ql5, and it's too big.

Give me 48 channels to mix, 27 mixbusses, 8 input faders, 8 output/multifunction faders and a weight of less than 32 kg in a flightcase please :)

Sent from my iPhone

Re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Ql1 looks nice, but there's only 32 channels to mix. Why this limitation?
I don't need all the faders on the ql5, and it's too big.

Give me 48 channels to mix, 27 mixbusses, 8 input faders, 8 output/multifunction faders and a weight of less than 32 kg in a flightcase please :)

Buy a Midas :razz: