New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Re: Fine Print

I have to HEAR the desk to decide for rock and roll, but I must say I have never had a show go down because I was mixing on a 5D instead of something else and now that I have the Waves Rack, if I was touring with this, I would just buy what I wanted for the waves. The other thing about this desk, is Dante is on the inserts. I do not know if it's on all the inserts but I assume it is. That is not the case as of yet on the CL. THis means I could use Dante with the waves rack assuming low enough latency, and I could use dante with the lake card. It's like Yamaha listened to all my gripes and complaints over the years and packaged it all up in this desk. They even got rid of that stupid WHEEL on the LS9. I hate that wheel. Touch and Turn is ideal. The only digital desk I evern felt truly comfortable mixing on before this was the InnovaSon. I trained many BEs in 5 minutes to mix on that desk. It's hard to program but easy to mix on. Now Yamaha has finally exceeded that ease of use.

Edit, I forgot to mention it has a 16 channel Dugan built in!

+1 on that. Seems like it will be a hot seller for Yamaha, like M7 once was. Also, the sound engine looks like to be identical to CL series, so the sound quality should be the same.

I still hope they have a truly large flagship in works, PM7D maybe?

Re: New Yamaha QL Console at Frankfurt

Great, no more endless questions about Dugan in the X32 threads. :twisted:

If the street price ends up around $6000-$6500 I can see them selling a lot of these.
might blow out the m32 - for a bit more don't simply get a tarted up x32.

Mind you - the cost of the rio stage box is a downer

Last edited:

Great, no more endless questions about Dugan in the X32 threads. :twisted:

I don't think so... but I repeat it is about time.

People do not yet realize that digital consoles can do a lot more than recall scenes. But too much too soon will scare the meat puppets. Usually this kind of product innovation occurs at the lower entry level end of the market where users do not have such firm preconceived notions about how products are supposed to look and work, but the automatic mixer seems to be a special case typically cobbled onto professional digital systems.

JR

Whoops, sorry boys my bad.. iPhone surfing, not big enough screen... Does anybody know what the limitations of the ql is vs the cl, is it simply channel count? And physical ins and outs on ql

Pfft...Yeah, it's pretty much channel count limitations, and 16 mix outputs vs 24 on the CL series. They both have 300 scenes, 16 DCAs, Dante, custom faders, gain compensation, the premium rack, 8 stereo inputs, two track USB recording and playback, multitrack recording via Dante.

Some of the other limitations on the QL are only 8 31-band graphic EQs, Nuendo Live sold separately, 12 UDKs, and the console surface is a little more limited: parametric EQ selectable per band, and no built in scene store/recall functions (probably have to use the UDKs), and no preview or undo keys on the surface.

The both use the same software and show files are interchangeable, and can coexist on the same network.

So with the QL coming in new around the current price of a used m7, would you consider it a better value for a medium size sound co as opposed to picking up a used m7. I'm at that turing point where I'm deciding if I need a 48ch console and how best to spend the money to get there. I am getting riders with pm5drh, m7, profile etc...in your opinions will a ql "fit the bill" ?(either with a rio, or short term with an 8 ch input rio at foh using a regular snake (to get 40ch))
Also I'm also battling the buy vs rent feeling but let's face facts, G.A.S normally wins over us all...

So with the QL coming in new around the current price of a used m7, would you consider it a better value for a medium size sound co as opposed to picking up a used m7. I'm at that turing point where I'm deciding if I need a 48ch console and how best to spend the money to get there. I am getting riders with pm5drh, m7, profile etc...in your opinions will a ql "fit the bill" ?(either with a rio, or short term with an 8 ch input rio at foh using a regular snake (to get 40ch))
Also I'm also battling the buy vs rent feeling but let's face facts, G.A.S normally wins over us all...
If riders demand the above consoles and will accept no substitutions, then a QL, or even a CL for that matter, isn't going to work.

However, I would think that if you can be forward looking, the QL5 would be a better buy than an M7 - I presume the sound quality will be more similar to the CL series, and even the size of the surface compared to an M7 or 5D would make a big difference in a truck. The QL seems to surpass the feature set of the M7, so I can't think of anything that you'd be giving up going from an M7 to a QL.

If riders demand the above consoles and will accept no substitutions, then a QL, or even a CL for that matter, isn't going to work.

However, I would think that if you can be forward looking, the QL5 would be a better buy than an M7 - I presume the sound quality will be more similar to the CL series, and even the size of the surface compared to an M7 or 5D would make a big difference in a truck. The QL seems to surpass the feature set of the M7, so I can't think of anything that you'd be giving up going from an M7 to a QL.

So basically , rent "the desk they want" until some broader acceptance or adoption of CL/QL arrives...

I've been keeping an eye on BE consoles... have seen some CL series pairs, a 3 or 5 in monitors and 1 or 3 at FOH. Odd combos of LS9 at mons and Pro2C at FOH. What I'm not seeing: M7. Everyone will use YOURS, but they won't devote the trailer space to something that size anymore. Had Pink Floyd Experience the other night, they carried a pair of Digico SD8.

One of the things I've noticed with the digital mixing takeover is that BEs now expect to share a console most of the time. Unless the rider specifies otherwise, all acts not carrying their own desk will use ours. Needing high channel counts in order to accommodate the support acts with leftover inputs is a thing of the past. In 2013 most of the acts we provide for on the 2000-8000 seat circuit that used more than 32 inputs at FOH brought their own consoles, and there were only a few of them. I can't say this is typical, customary or will be your experience, though. If you do symphony reinforcement or theater the channel count goes way up.

I think the QL is a brilliant corporate gig mixer. It's most of what I like about the CL with some extras that are very appealing (Dugan Automix); local inputs _and_ Rio racks. For bands and festivals? Not sure yet, but the UI improvements will help and the show file compatibility with the CL will help.

Is a QL the right desk for BSS? Dunno, my Digital Crystal Ball® has pixelated reception from most of Ontario... If I were betting my job on a Yamaha recommendation it would be for CL; if it was my money I'd hope the QL would suffice.

This desk is made for the corpie guys. It answers every gripe, complaint, request we've had, maybe not to 100% satisfaction, but to answer every one to 95% satisfaction is pretty good. They even rounded the corners on the fader caps. No more cut up fingers.

I'm curious how you would cascade 2 QL1? Also I noticed they don't have midi on the new desks.

This desk is made for the corpie guys. It answers every gripe, complaint, request we've had, maybe not to 100% satisfaction, but to answer every one to 95% satisfaction is pretty good. They even rounded the corners on the fader caps. No more cut up fingers.

I'm curious how you would cascade 2 QL1? Also I noticed they don't have midi on the new desks.

Hold on there, Pilgrim. Take a look right above the fan.

mixers_ql1_rear.jpg

I actually think there is a big market for this in small broadcast. Lots of small OBs have 01v / DM1k / DM2k / LS9. A QL1/5 fits the bill here very nicely, and the custom layout, Dante and Dugan are big selling points.
Equally, the CL has been making in-roads in this market, so more of that.

You can do it via Slot card audio or Dante, and then I believe you use a Midi cable to synchronise scene recalls.

The pricing is interesting here. With the LS9, the 32 was only 50% more than the 16. So a lot of people bought 32s. But the QL5 is pretty much exactly the same price as 2 * QL1. This makes buying 2 QL1 and cascading when you need it a much more interesting proposition. Obviously a BE is not going to like that.

I've also discovered that the Dante card in a QL1 appears to be 32x32 NOT 64x64

The pricing is interesting here. With the LS9, the 32 was only 50% more than the 16. So a lot of people bought 32s. But the QL5 is pretty much exactly the same price as 2 * QL1. This makes buying 2 QL1 and cascading when you need it a much more interesting proposition. Obviously a BE is not going to like that.

If you cascade two QLs, do you get double the Virtual Rack space?

If you cascade two QLs, do you get double the Virtual Rack space?
Of course!

Cascading basically just links the busses (inc cue busses) between consoles, and provides triggering so you can sync scene recalls etc...

But in every other way, you get 2 consoles. So double Dugans, double racks, etc....

Hmmm, they are showing a Scandinavian model, are they releasing it in Scandinavia first? :)~:)~:smile:

Apologies, I have to ask - am I being dim-witted and missing a joke here, or is there something you saw on that pic which I've looked at close up over and over but apparently missed?

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

Apologies, I have to ask - am I being dim-witted and missing a joke here, or is there something you saw on that pic which I've looked at close up over and over but apparently missed?

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

you gotta read fine print ... you have to connect it to an earthed power point.

"Laite on liitettava suojamaadoituskoskettimilla varustettuun pistorasiaan"
"Apparatet ma tilkoples jordet stikkontakt"
"Apparaten skall anslutas till jordat uttag"

Last edited:

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

If you enlarge the picture you'll see the earthing warning printed in a Scandinavian language.

Pfft...Yeah, it's pretty much channel count limitations, and 16 mix outputs vs 24 on the CL series. They both have 300 scenes, 16 DCAs, Dante, custom faders, gain compensation, the premium rack, 8 stereo inputs, two track USB recording and playback, multitrack recording via Dante.

Some of the other limitations on the QL are only 8 31-band graphic EQs, Nuendo Live sold separately, 12 UDKs, and the console surface is a little more limited: parametric EQ selectable per band, and no built in scene store/recall functions (probably have to use the UDKs), and no preview or undo keys on the surface.

Justice, isn't that QL's four custom fader layers (B1-B4) are something that CL desks don't have? Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like on QL you can assemble these layers pretty much out of any sources: inputs, groups, DCAs, etc.

This is something MIDAS Pro desks have as POP groups but way more limited (I'd like to see it in X32 too).

Price wise, I've seen a few CL5 factory refurbs at around $18K, pretty close to a new QL5, so it's getting pretty much apples-to-apples (feature-to-feature) comparison