PM 60 & 90 settings and alternative drivers.

Hi Leon,
I suspend my 60's 2 a side on fly bars. I adjust the angle by listening to pink noise and the comb filtering then turning them in or out before I run the crank stands all the way up. I really couldn't tell you the exact angle.

just looking at the RCF ND940 and ND840. would they be suitable? Probably won't get the same SPL as with the DCX464 but they seem almost indentical in spec to the ND950s

Reactions: Grant Manson
Used them like this last night at and event
Hi Leon,

I'm curious about the following:
1/ Wouldn't the sticker in the middle of the right CD obstruct sound?
2/ Wouldn't positioning two boxes side by side introduce lobing at higher frequencies? I.e. when you walk from left to right at at few meters distance then you would notice a phaser-ish sound effect. Perhaps the sticker mitigates it a bit.

Cheers,
Andre

Hi Leon,

I'm curious about the following:
1/ Wouldn't the sticker in the middle of the right CD obstruct sound?
2/ Wouldn't positioning two boxes side by side introduce lobing at higher frequencies? I.e. when you walk from left to right at at few meters distance then you would notice a phaser-ish sound effect. Perhaps the sticker mitigates it a bit.

Cheers,
Andre
The sticker was removed, it was placed there by one of my crew guys... The problem using them like that is the dispersion... Now I put a 15d spacer between them, thinking of increasing it to 20/25d

Reactions: Andre Vergison
I don't know where you are located, but the price difference between the ND950 and 840 isn't that big here in Europe.
I also doubt if the ND840 is capable for such a low crossover with high SPL in mind. I would play it safe and go at least for the 950 or even better a coax.

I don't know where you are located, but the price difference between the ND950 and 840 isn't that big here in Europe.
I also doubt if the ND840 is capable for such a low crossover with high SPL in mind. I would play it safe and go at least for the 950 or even better a coax.

I think you are correct - I doubt if the ND850 will produce enough SPL at the required crossover frequency (700Hz max) to get this design to work correctly. I know people have had success with the ND950

so I'm about 1-2 months away from starting the PM90 build, I'm just worried about the processing side! I only have a driverack PA2 at my disposal and seriously can't afford an LM26 or anything like that. Anyone tuned these with a driverack or similar DSP?

I was actually looking at the dynacord L1800 amp which has FIR filters and is affordable but will that be enough processing?

looking into miniDSP 2x4HD as well....any thoughts on those as a cheaper alternative?

Maybe an aurora dsp by auverdion would be more suitable, combined with addon D this should make for some very decent processor. Very low distortion, 8 channels, enough FIR taps included, wireless capability included, very accesible software for programming... surely beats the mentioned dsp and would you would land around 300-350€. + it's a noncommercial project by a very capable diy guy based at diy-hifi-forum.eu/
regards

I have had a lot of requests for settings and alternative drivers that are a little cheaper.

When I have a bit of free time I will post up my Lake LM26 settings. Unfortunately I only have Lake processing and there can be a lot of variation between different processors with the same settings - so I’m hoping people may be willing to post what they have done to help others :)(y)

Suggestions to reduce cost –

Compression drivers
BMS 4594HE – BMS 4594

BMS 4594 with passive crossover

B&C DE1090TN - https://bcspeakers.com/en/products/hf-driver/1-4/8/de1090tn

RCF ND950 1.4 https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/product-detail/nd950-1-4/292823

There is one other option that is looking fantastic - https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/coaxials-hf/1-4/16/DCX464-12
This new driver looks like it may even surpass the BMS in terms of output and sound quality, and hopefully at the normally sensible B&C price.

DCX464 00 etc2.jpeg

12” Mids
B&C 12NDL76 - https://bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/12-0/8/12ndl76

Hy peter. I saw you referring the B&C DCX464 as a replacement for the BMS a while back .i was wondering if you had gotten a chance to get hands-on with them and what are your thoughts on the B&C DCX464 now. in addition, I'd also like to know how well do you think they would perform paired with the B&C 12NDL76