Random Link Problems (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Basement link broken

Hi,

The link to The Basement both from the main page and from subpages points towards a random post in DIY audio.

Edit: Just saw the Randomness thread, tried clearing cookies, but no difference.

Re: error in poll

In this thread:

http://www.soundforums.net/index.php/t/422/#page_top

In the post by mike Butler, there is a poll. When I click on either the vote button or the view results button I get a page not found error.

http://www.soundforums.net/index.phpt=tree_msg&id=3402&S=#msg_3402

Chrome v 8.0.552.237 With Adblock and KeepMyOptOuts

The poll link problem seems fixed now. We're still working on the rest, please let us know whenever you see the problem.

Just a couple seconds ago, I navigated into the Varsity forum, then clicked on the Digico Users thread, and it recalled a thread from the marketplace, followed by the Digico Users thread all on one page. Attached a quick printout in pdf, it looks a bit messy with a few elements out of place with the printout, but showed up on the screen nice and clean.

Firefox 3.6.13 on OSX 10.6.6.

Just a couple seconds ago, I navigated into the Varsity forum, then clicked on the Digico Users thread, and it recalled a thread from the marketplace, followed by the Digico Users thread all on one page. Attached a quick printout in pdf, it looks a bit messy with a few elements out of place with the printout, but showed up on the screen nice and clean.

Firefox 3.6.13 on OSX 10.6.6.

Can you verify the theme you are currently using?

In Control Panel/Account Settings, the last option at the bottom should be ''Theme:'' The only one available should be default_path_info. Is that selected on your end?

Re: Random Link Problems (merged)

Just got another one. The one I posted about earlier went away, but when clicked on the home icon i was taken to the ''what I know'' thread started by phil. The url in the top said: http://www.soundforums.net/index.php/i/

when I reloaded the page it displayed properly. I had also just opened 3 threads in separate tabs. I am also unable to duplicate the problem.

Based on everyone's replies so far, it almost seems as if the database is not indexed on the proper key field when the threads are brought up. Since I have not looked under the hood of FUD, I couldn't be more specific than that. However just on the surface it sounds like more of a database indexing issue than a website issue (unless of course the website is issuing bad commands to the database). How far have you come from using FUD out of the box? You might get closer to figuring it out if you retraced your steps.

FWIW, I can usually get around this problem by clicking on the ''Today's Posts'' link. That seems to circumvent the apparent indexing issue I am encountering with the topic links found on the on main forum pages. Maybe get under the hood and figure out what is ''right'' with that?

Latest Mac OS and Safari. The issue is particularly bad this morning. Almost to the point where more than half the of the thread links or the down navigation arrow clicks take me to the wrong thing. And I'm seeing some render problems like the banner tool bar drawing more than once. I hope a new build is coming soon.

Greg

I'm having the issue.

OS 10.6.6 and Safari

I'm often redirected to a topic in the basement. Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that my view is switched from flat view to ''tree'' when this happens. This is only on the redirected page. When I load another page I am back to flat view. I also appear to be logged out when this occurs.

It's an annoyance that is starting to creep toward making the forum unenjoyable.

Jake

David and I are purchasing a full Vbulletin license with (most) of the money that has been donated to the PayPal account. We were probably going to have to consider switching to VB once the site grew anyway, but they offer many advantages including real support.

We're going to do an offline test, moving the entire current contents of this forum over to VB and making sure everything functions correctly. If it does, we will port the whole forum over to VB shortly.

This should solve all of the current problems we're having, and should be a seamless transition aside from the interface changes. I already have plenty of experience moderating a VB forum about the size of the LAB, and it is a better solution in many ways.

I will report back as I have more information. David is working on the backend as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.