Soundcraft Si Impact

Re: Soundcraft Si Impact

nope

Hi everybody (sorry for my bad english)
I am interested in the Soundcraft Si Impact console. Does anybody knows if there wil be a DAW control available on this console (emulation of HUI or Mackie Control protocols) on Mac OSX systems. I could not find a note in the user manual on the Web. Thanks!
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Just Received my impact today. I chose it because I briefly used the Expression 3 and liked the sound of the desk better than others, and the price and digital i/o of impact for what I wanted to do seemed great. My only issue so far is I didn't do alot of research on soundcraft's SI series. I have been using waves multirack rather beautifully with a StudioLive console via Firewire. I hoped that the newer Soundcraft would provide a better front end and maybe even lower latency (even though Firewire should be faster than USB 2.0?). The issue is that the audio paths will not take analogue IN form the pre then route it to USB OUT then back in USB...as it only has an audio path for one input per channel...not sure how Presonus does it (I THINK that Behringer/Midas does it Also) but it seems like a pro sound company wouldn't make you have to do a complete remap of inputs to be able to playback a recording on the same channel! Am I missing something? I read the manual and that's what it seems to say Also. My current work around is to only use channels I Love my plugins on (8ch.) and route them back in on another bank of 8 faders. (Wasting 8 channels) to playback efficiently on the same channels as recorded I just save a preset with the correct routing and labels. (Easy with only 8 channels, but 32 even 8 at a time is a bit annoying). I haven't updated new firmware yet and hear good things about some new features. but I really would love to use my saved plugin sessions on this console!

(I THINK that Behringer/Midas does it Also) but it seems like a pro sound company wouldn't make you have to do a complete remap of inputs to be able to playback a recording on the same channel! Am I missing something?

On the X32 / M32 you have to repatch also a bit, but just once, you can save it and recall it, would be surprised if it isn't possible on the Si...

On the X32 / M32 you have to repatch also a bit, but just once, you can save it and recall it, would be surprised if it isn't possible on the Si...

But will it record and playback on the same channel?

mic in ch. 1 >usb ch1 out> usb in ch1 ? That's what the Presonus does...each i/o input receives information from the preamp then the FireWire out sends it out on that same channel simultaneously sub 11ms latency

But will it record and playback on the same channel?

mic in ch. 1 >usb ch1 out> usb in ch1 ? That's what the Presonus does...each i/o input receives information from the preamp then the FireWire out sends it out on that same channel simultaneously sub 11ms latency

You want to playback what you have recorded at the same time?
Why not send the signal from ch.1 to the recorder, and output just the input signal (mic) to the output of the console at the same time.

When you want to listen to the recorded material, load the correct scene, playback the recording listen and when you want to record it reload the original patch.

I don't understand why you want the latency? Is it because you want to (multitrack) record just a voice to a allready recorded multitrack?

Edit: You want to use plug ins, as I read back, on X32 I think it will cost you channels, but you could probably use the aux inputs for it, leaving 32 full input channels left.

Last edited:

Yeah, i almost forgot about the aux ins. I still feel like the idea of running multitrack and having channel 1 head amp gain going to rack and back to ch 1 fader would be awesome convenient, but I have to say I've already began to love this board! 2 rehearsals and 1 show and it feels great! I scratched the plugin idea. This console sounds great! Switching consoles a bunch I brain froze on a couple of menu and yrouting things but got the hang back quickly. Fairly intuitive. Fairly analogue feel. Only issues is one slider came off but reattached easily and firmly (my fault). The app is lacking a bit. Works and looks good but having cues access would be huge! (Update guys?) also to be able to assign some stuff like vca and be able to write scribble strips on the iPad while making adjustments would be great. Kinda like my thoughts on the Midas m32....if u don't "have" to have 96k and want an affordable great sounding compact, this is a doozie!

ViSi Listen will allow you to lockout busses based on HiQnet addresses, allowing musicians to adjust their own mixes BUT ONLY THEIR OWN MIXES without risking your FOH mix or another musician's aux. The app allows you to create custom fader view groups so musicians can tailor their interface for their needs and preferences and only show what they need.
Creating access to ViSi Listen is done on the console, allowing the engineer/console operator to control the show and keep everyone in their own mix.
We know a lot of you have been asking for this for sometime, along with Android and phone capability, so we are very happy to bring this to you. This app is truly cross-platform/cross-device and will be available for the App Store and Play store.

The app is currently undergoing rigorous testing for performance and compatibility across all devices. Android devices are especially tricky due to different makes/models and different screen sizes. We are working flat-out on this and we hope to have this before your summer touring season.

Will ViSi Listen work with Si Performer series consoles?

Will ViSi Listen work with Si Performer series consoles?

I believe the answer is yes, if (when) the software is released. Soundcraft announced in April that the VISI Listen application would be available before the summer touring season, but they failed to meet their deadline. I am hoping they sacked their software development team and hired some professional software engineers as their software is very poor capability compared to all their competitors. Very sad since their hardware is very good.... I have an Expression 3 and love the board, but use my Behringer X32 now almost exclusively because the Expression does not have the diversity and quality of applications I require.

I believe the answer is yes, if (when) the software is released. Soundcraft announced in April that the VISI Listen application would be available before the summer touring season, but they failed to meet their deadline. I am hoping they sacked their software development team and hired some professional software engineers as their software is very poor capability compared to all their competitors. Very sad since their hardware is very good.... I have an Expression 3 and love the board, but use my Behringer X32 now almost exclusively because the Expression does not have the diversity and quality of applications I require.

I would like to see harmon set up a software dev team to unify their product offerings. It baffles me that the offline editor for Si is Windows based but the remote control is iOS only. Also, System Architect for my Crown iTechs is Windows only. Hopefully they will follow the software model for the Impact and make it web based...

I would like to see harmon

Harman?

All these company's are gathered under harman to get a substantial part of the market. You can bet that in future they will share knowledge and resources more and more.

Music group does have midas and behringer, but the X32 / M32 does not have the same controls as the PRO series... It's all history, you can't change everything at once, it does cost time and money.

Greetings everyone, I'm interested in the Soundcraft Si Impact digital mixer, so far, had no luck finding any user review. I currently own an analog mixer (Mackie Onyx 24.4 and the iPad based Mackie DL-1608) My next step is a fully digital mixer and by the features on the Soundcraft web page I think is the one, however I will like to read any comments or opinions regarding the Si Impact, Thanks in advanced.

Greetings everyone, I'm interested in the Soundcraft Si Impact digital mixer, so far, had no luck finding any user review. I currently own an analog mixer (Mackie Onyx 24.4 and the iPad based Mackie DL-1608) My next step is a fully digital mixer and by the features on the Soundcraft web page I think is the one, however I will like to read any comments or opinions regarding the Si Impact, Thanks in advanced.

What are your requirements (must have) ?

What are your like to haves ?

What is your budget range ?

Soundcraft makes excellent hardware, but lag significantly behind others in software applications IMHO.

I do not have the Impact, but I do have the Expression 3. It is a great mixer...

I also now have a Behringer X32 Rack (I know.... I swore off ever owning a B products in the past) ...

I had to purchase an X32R as stop gap measure to satisfy the performers who wanted certain features (like controlling their own mix without screwing up the main mix).

It turns out that I am using the X32R more than the Expression 3 now.... This is due to the lack of quality and diversity in the user applications available for the Expression. As I have stated before, if Soundcraft developed improved in this area, I believe they would significantly improve their usability and sales ! Unfortunately, they have not placed a priority on resolving the software application issue and when they do promise new applications they far exceed their deadlines...

All of that being said: If you are looking at the Impact, I would also consider the Expression or Performer. While these are more $$$, they have more features... it really depends upon your application!

MikeG

I'm the fairly recent owner of an Expression 2 and the price reduction on the Impact killed me. If I only waited another month and a half. The Impact has what the Expression is missing, for a couple hundred more than I paid at the current pricing. The individual trim controls on the Expression are nice but I've never had any issue with using the one in the main channel strip. And I'd gladly give that up for scribble strips. I don't do much complex layer routing and sub grouping, but the scribble strips would make this much easier to deal with. I find the iPad app usable for walking the room and making minor tweaks but I wouldn't want to run a show from it. The console control surface is great and the Impact adds a slightly larger screen (although you don't really need to look at it much unless you're the analytical type that wants to see graphic representations of eq curves) and full parametric on all 4 eq bands. I can get to things quicker on this surface than I could on my old Allen & Heath GL as you don't have to go hunting up a channel strip to find the knob you want. The master channel strip has them spread out far enough that there's no question what you're grabbing. The iPad app is a bit clunkier and more resembles what people who haven't gone digital fear. Having to select things and wade up and down through screens to get what you want. And I've no idea why the nomenclature for the mix sends is different than what it is on the console surface. Took awhile to get used to that. It's like two design groups didn't talk to each other at all.

I just ordered 3 Impacts, I have been sitting on the fence for the last year undecided on on what to buy for a small format economical console for my production company. We have a few sc48's but they are expensive and in the tour grade flight cases too heavy for non ryder gigs. I have been looking at the SI line for a year now, the cost of the performer was a little much for what I wanted and the expression was not an option with only semi parametric eq and no scribble strips. I was hoping for a console capable of doing at least 40 mic channels for non ryder monitor gigs but the Impact seams to have every thing else I wanted and with the current discount offered until November 1st, I found the price to good to pass up.

I was once a "B" dealer and swore off the brand, It will be a cold day in Hell before I go there again...the M32 even though owned by "B" was worth a look but at more than twice the price ...out... so all that being said I think I'm going to be happy with this choice. As far as an installed sales console and our continued production use the determining factor will be if, how good and when the VISI Listen app comes out. If Soundcraft wants to remain relevant and solvent I suggest they get on this. I keep hearing it's due out any day now... Idk

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I will post my opinions after I get my fingers on it a bit.

Last edited:

Lucas, if you get a stagebox you can manage 40 channels. Using 3 layers the scribble strips on the Impact really come into play.

really? even with stage box I was of the understanding you could still use only 32... that would be awesome if possible as I have dove into this console a lot in last 2 days since they arrived. I am definitely liking the console especially for the price.

You can get whatever is on the stagebox together with whatever is on the back of the console. The Impact lets you run two cards so you can have two stages boxes as well (which gets expensive). Or you run a conventional multicore snake to the stage along with the Cat5 to get 24+32 mic pres.

You can get whatever is on the stagebox together with whatever is on the back of the console. The Impact lets you run two cards so you can have two stages boxes as well (which gets expensive). Or you run a conventional multicore snake to the stage along with the Cat5 to get 24+32 mic pres.

You can only mix 40 inputs including the fx returns !! There are no additional channels on the Impact.

Oh, I thought it was the same as the other Expressions. Now I don't feel so bad. Get some, give some up. The other Expressions are something like 66 inputs. Although for the smaller models it takes some combination of stagebox, back panel pres, back panel aux inputs, AES inputs, plus returns. 40 will still handle most of what a $2500 board would be expected to. I wonder if you can map things to combine the 32 from a stage box with the internal mic pres. Or if that only allows 32 plus various auxes/returns.