tall skinny speakers

Re: tall skinny speakers

Under ordinary circumstances you might get some wild noises but when you're dealing with heat like that it numbs the brain slows all motion - you can't remember lyrics - you can't think straight - so really we don't know if it sounded good or not but some people seemed to like it so I'm going with that. :lol:
Been there-done that-got the sunburn to prove it (many times) back when I was into that sort of thing.

At this past weekends festival I spent as much time as possible in the shade-and still got some decent sun.

The heat can be a killer.

Been there-done that-got the sunburn to prove it (many times) back when I was into that sort of thing.

At this past weekends festival I spent as much time as possible in the shade-and still got some decent sun.

The heat can be a killer.

True that. Did a favor rental at Atlanta Motor Speedway over the holiday weekend and even though we were setup in the garages it was still a scorcher. Whenever I ventured "outside" I always had my umbrella with me.

I am still curious about how the narrow vertical pattern is achieved with a single driver? Any ideas?

Ivan, you are WAY over-thinking things.

1) I just stumbled across this thread. So I skipped a lot of the blah blah blah, install, blah blah blah, movies, thread swerve, blah blah, passive, pages, entirely skipped.
2) By having a single high frequency driver, a lot of people are not getting high frequencies, or getting the same that everyone else is getting. No big deal. At least they are not getting multiple high frequencies. By having single or none, that is better than getting multiple.
3) It's all about midrange vocal clarity. The vocals are readily heard. Everyone can understand the words. The sound is not a lot louder in front than in back. Easy to understand, and for me visualize.
4) It's all about the midrange vocal clarity. (Twice) Because if there is a low mid build up, they can also hear it on stage. So it gets taken out. Win Win. (This is one of the most irritating things about live sound, and one of the most prevalent causes of bad sound. Eliminated.)
5) He is doing it with a very simple, relatively inexpensive, system. Audience, band, pocketbook, easy set up, easy to run. Win win win win win.

What Gene has is not the perfect system. But a perfectly good, inexpensive, system for his situation.

Ivan, you are WAY over-thinking things.

1) I just stumbled across this thread. So I skipped a lot of the blah blah blah, install, blah blah blah, movies, thread swerve, blah blah, passive, pages, entirely skipped.
2) By having a single high frequency driver, a lot of people are not getting high frequencies, or getting the same that everyone else is getting. No big deal. At least they are not getting multiple high frequencies. By having single or none, that is better than getting multiple.
3) It's all about midrange vocal clarity. The vocals are readily heard. Everyone can understand the words. The sound is not a lot louder in front than in back. Easy to understand, and for me visualize.
4) It's all about the midrange vocal clarity. (Twice) Because if there is a low mid build up, they can also hear it on stage. So it gets taken out. Win Win. (This is one of the most irritating things about live sound, and one of the most prevalent causes of bad sound. Eliminated.)
5) He is doing it with a very simple, relatively inexpensive, system. Audience, band, pocketbook, easy set up, easy to run. Win win win win win.
But when you have a nice clean top end-it adds intelligibility-clairity and enjoyment to the sound.

But of course getting that type of clean HF is not easy.

It all depends on what is "acceptable".

A paging horn has lots of intelligibility-gets loud with little input-doesn't have low mid buildup-is cheap-easy to setup etc----------------------

Hey-it worked for bands back in the 50s/60s ;)

But when you have a nice clean top end-it adds intelligibility-clairity and enjoyment to the sound.

It all depends on what is "acceptable".

A paging horn has lots of intelligibility-gets loud with little input-doesn't have low mid buildup-is cheap-easy to setup etc----------------------

Hey-it worked for bands back in the 50s/60s ;)

"I could hear every note you were singing, I just couldn't understand it."

So many locals were doing 3way stacks with a 2" comp driver on top of double 12" as a mid range, think Roy box. But we always added a 1" crossed in at 7 to 8 K or rings or slots to add the S's and the T's. You really need this for intelligibility.

So many systems use 1.4 or 1.5 " drivers now to have better highs than a 2" still with a 3 way box. And it does sound better but is still doesn't sizzle. If you can get a 1", 5 or 6", and the 12" all on one pattern control device in proper time alignment than you can have it all.

I am sure these sound very good in the places his photos show. But because of a missing hi mid device for a small horn I think it is not a true line array. That horn maybe adding the sizzle but it is a hybrid array at best.

However if it is working well and you and the crowd like it there is no reason to replace it.

"I could hear every note you were singing, I just couldn't understand it."

I hear this sort of thing all the time when people complain about systems.

There is a HUGE difference between being loud enough and being intelligible.

The "natural" thing to do is to turn it up, when the problem is not level-but clarity.

But people associate it with their radio or TV. If they can't hear it-they simple turn it up.

But especially in rooms with bad acoustics-that is often the WRONG thing to do-but they don't know what else to do.

It is very important to realize what the REAL problem is-not a simple "perceived" problem.

Of course I like good high frequency. Don't forget that I use/sell what I consider the worlds best drivers, and love mixing on them!

But I do think these boxes (Glenn Adams, these are no where near a true line array. These are tall skinny boxes a la the title) are doing themselves a favor by having only one HF per box.
There will be some in the audience that get the benefit of this driver. But the dispersion of this unit will not match the rest of the box, I am guessing. Still, it will be better to have one fairly well behaved driver for some crispness, than a bunch that are interfering with each other.

Is it going to be as good as a Danley equivalent? No.
Is it going to be cheaper, and better than other options in its price range? Probably.

Horses for courses.

A paging horn has lots of intelligibility-...
I would quibble with this. I don't think it's the frequency range, I think there is something else inherently wrong with those devices that makes them hard to understand.
Loud for what it is, but not clean.

BTW, (topic swerve) my favorite re-entrant horn story is Tom Danley's first foray into live sound.

The "natural" thing to do is to turn it up, when the problem is not level-but clarity.

Totally agree with you. It also seems to me that Gene's system is giving them a good vocal clarity, and this is a good part of it's success.

Am I going to join the skinny speaker revolution?
No, but I am having fun reading about the adventures.

I have some speakers with very nice 5" mids that are a joy to mix on.
But my favorite mid is the 3.5" VC compression driver that I sell. I will stick with that when given the option.

Just got back from a family road trip and I see this thread is still active so I'll toss yet another pic of tall and skinny speaker action up here.

RGS Pro Systems.jpg

This was interesting because it showcased the tall skinny concept to the grand poobahs of Eminence Speakers on the grounds of their Kentucky factory.

They held a country concert and it seems that everyone was pleased. These are Ramsdell designed and are being marketed in a collaborative effort by RGS Pro Systems. They have 6" speakers and a 2" (1.75"??) horn and I've heard them briefly at the shop and can say they really sound good and get plenty loud. If I had a way to get 2 or 3 hung high in the air this is what I would use. They may not compete directly with the large format line arrays but I can see these being used for many types of events.

Are you asking about that Kentucky photo at the Eminence grounds? I wasn't there so I lifted the pic from their face page. If I remember right these sub engines are the 18" variety. I've heard 21" sub engines and watched as unscientific comparisons were made over at the shop between a single 21 and a 2x18 cab and they had similar output. The 21 does seem to go lower and that was with the old ceramic 1000 watt P-Audio. The newer neo types handle more watts and should be able to do more damage although I have not personally witnessed them at a gig. They are beginning to update their web pages with graphs and measurements for those that like that stuff (finally got a few more fancy tools and a new laptop over there).

Hello

I wrote to Ivan on 01 23 2014 about this thread - unfortunately he never answered - but while tis is a VERY interesting topic, which many of us must have experienced, I will put a copy of my message here for everybody to see - I am planning to build some "column-speakers" of the parts sitting on the shelves...

Hopefully new fuel to discussion.

Ivan - sorry - perhaps you never received my private message...

[h=2]Speaker radiation angle vs instrument radiation angle[/h]
Hello from Finland

I might have written you before - I am in Finland and we have Servodrive speakers including ContraBass. Tom found replacement motors on eBay for us and I bought them - problem solved.

I was reading the thread of tall skinny speakers last night. You were asking about how the high-frequency control was achieved - so far nobody has answered.
I share your notion, that with that kind of design the high frequencies must be a cardioid ( round pyramid ) that gets wider towards lower frequencies - thus no pattern control at all.

However the guy having used them on his gigs was really pleased with his speakers after using them for months.

So I came to think about properties of instruments - we have direct sound of i.e. a cello and reflected sound of the room. Now the reflected sound obviously depends of at lest two factors - radiation pattern of cello and reflection properties of the room. If the sum of all parts is pleasing to listener, we have a winner...

Same must apply for different sound systems - I am familiar with Danley Synergy horn - I have heard some home-made and even considered building some myself ( reason being I have hundreds of speaker-elements on shelve and have to figure a way to get rid of them ). Anyway - synergy horn must be great for aiming music on certain area with minimum spill outside and maximum fidelity inside. If we are happy with just maximum fidelity inside and do not care about the sound in the outside area, we might well get along i.e. "tall skinny" - or if the reflections in the room HAPPEN to be favorable for that kind speaker system.

For my gigs - there seems to be people hanging around on most gigs, that could not care less for what´s going on on stage - they are there because their buddies are there - kind of social event - they hang on edges of area and make their own noise..... Do they care about how it sounds ?

When I started some 30 years ago I had a system with dual 15 JBL 2225H woofer and four 8 JBL 2118J in line for mids plus JBL 2445J with 2380 horn for highs. It sounded fairly good in most places although the pattern control on that must have been more or less haywire also. Band was happy - audience was happy and I was happy - still after more then twenty years people pop up now and then and tell me how good it was back then.

To finish this long jargon I quote late finnish inventor Tapio Köykkä ( ortoperspekta - TIM - etc ) - he wrote some fifty years ago : "If measurements are good but it does not sound good we either do not measure enough many things or we are measuring wrong things." ( My free translation.... ) I also used to work at Studer in Switzerland 1972-73 and I do know the importance of measuring things to build quality products like we did way back then.

Thank you for your time.

Nuuska​

Hello

I wrote to Ivan on 01 23 2014 about this thread - unfortunately he never answered - but while tis is a VERY interesting topic, which many of us must have experienced, I will put a copy of my message here for everybody to see - I am planning to build some "column-speakers" of the parts sitting on the shelves...

Hopefully new fuel to discussion.

Ivan - sorry - perhaps you never received my private message...

[h=2]Speaker radiation angle vs instrument radiation angle[/h]
Hello from Finland

I might have written you before - I am in Finland and we have Servodrive speakers including ContraBass. Tom found replacement motors on eBay for us and I bought them - problem solved.

I was reading the thread of tall skinny speakers last night. You were asking about how the high-frequency control was achieved - so far nobody has answered.
I share your notion, that with that kind of design the high frequencies must be a cardioid ( round pyramid ) that gets wider towards lower frequencies - thus no pattern control at all.

However the guy having used them on his gigs was really pleased with his speakers after using them for months.

So I came to think about properties of instruments - we have direct sound of i.e. a cello and reflected sound of the room. Now the reflected sound obviously depends of at lest two factors - radiation pattern of cello and reflection properties of the room. If the sum of all parts is pleasing to listener, we have a winner...

Same must apply for different sound systems - I am familiar with Danley Synergy horn - I have heard some home-made and even considered building some myself ( reason being I have hundreds of speaker-elements on shelve and have to figure a way to get rid of them ). Anyway - synergy horn must be great for aiming music on certain area with minimum spill outside and maximum fidelity inside. If we are happy with just maximum fidelity inside and do not care about the sound in the outside area, we might well get along i.e. "tall skinny" - or if the reflections in the room HAPPEN to be favorable for that kind speaker system.

For my gigs - there seems to be people hanging around on most gigs, that could not care less for what´s going on on stage - they are there because their buddies are there - kind of social event - they hang on edges of area and make their own noise..... Do they care about how it sounds ?

When I started some 30 years ago I had a system with dual 15 JBL 2225H woofer and four 8 JBL 2118J in line for mids plus JBL 2445J with 2380 horn for highs. It sounded fairly good in most places although the pattern control on that must have been more or less haywire also. Band was happy - audience was happy and I was happy - still after more then twenty years people pop up now and then and tell me how good it was back then.

To finish this long jargon I quote late finnish inventor Tapio Köykkä ( ortoperspekta - TIM - etc ) - he wrote some fifty years ago : "If measurements are good but it does not sound good we either do not measure enough many things or we are measuring wrong things." ( My free translation.... ) I also used to work at Studer in Switzerland 1972-73 and I do know the importance of measuring things to build quality products like we did way back then.

Thank you for your time.

Nuuska​
Sorry-but either I did not get your message or was busy and forgot about it. Sorry it was the later.

Your suggestion does make any interesting argument.

The problem is that different instruments have different directivity factors. A violin is much more omni than a trumpet.

So there is no way a single loudspeaker could possible have a different directivity for each instrument.

So the best thing we could do would be to have the same directivity (or as close as possible) for ALL instruments.

You also have to consider what is the purpose of the sound system vs an instrument.

The instrument (no matter if it is a cello or an electric guitar) is to create a particular "sound". it is the goal of the sound system to reproduce that sound as goo as possible. Having a loudspeaker system that has as little interaction with the room (ie pattern control over a wide range of freq) is a good start towards that goal.

In my opinion-the sound system should not be part of the "creation" of the sound-only the reproduction of the sounds that are going into it.

So having a system that has a flat magnitude and phase response-pattern control (to help reduce the 'room effects") IS important.

Back in the day (mostly the 80s) I used a pile of JBL 2225s with 2445 drivers on 2380 horns. They worked well -or at least I remember them working well.

But then again my standards were different than they are now.

I would love to go back in time and listen to my old systems-as see if they were as I remembered.

Pattern control really matters when you are in a bad acoustic environment (reverberant or lots of echo) and trying to reproduce sounds accurately-especially speech.

Here is a link to an install that was done last week in a large live room. The recording was done on a hand held recorder at the back of the room. If you listen to the instruments you do not hear the room reverberation (specifically on the piano).

The speakers just on the inside of the large white columns in the room. They are darker in color and 5' tall.

https://www.facebook.com/ivan.beaver/posts/905929532769760

So I guess the "real answer" is-it depends on what you are trying to achieve in a particular situation.

A famous speaker manufacturer (whose name starts with B and ends with E) made a fortune by making speakers that bounce sound all around the room-supposedly giving it more of a "live sound".

The problem is that the people who recorded the material did not want that extra sound in the recording-or they would have put it in.

And what about the actual live recordings (ie a mic out int he room) that have lots of the "room sound" included in the recording? When you listen to that material you will be adding MORE reflections to the recording.

In either case-the sound you hear is NOT what the people who recorded it wanted you to hear.

Now whether you like that "false sound" is up to you. Some people like all sorts of things that are not real----------but we won't go there.

Howdy Timo from Finland and Ivan and others that may still be following this long tall skinny thread. Here's a pic from another outdoor event with the current crop of bearded boys banging on boxes...

2tops-2x18_zps461f5ffa.jpg

Took a few more phone pics of the 2' x 2' wood base with a screw in stubby pole thing.

IMG_0299_zps4378fbba.jpg

and with the stubby pole...

IMG_0300_zpsc68d9872.jpg

and with the first skinny speaker...

IMG_0301_zpsb6ace9ea.jpg

and with both speakers >>>

IMG_0302_zps4317015e.jpg

Having these little bases allows a few more options. So far I've been able to keep the drunks away and they have stayed upright.

A famous speaker manufacturer (whose name starts with B and ends with E) made a fortune by making speakers that bounce sound all around the room-supposedly giving it more of a "live sound".

Hello

This brings an old anecdote to my mind:

Mr Klipsch and Mr B..e meet on street - Mr B..e says "Hello Mr Klipsch, how are you?" - Mr Klipsch turns around against wall and yells "Hello Mr B..e - exellent!"

While we agree on importance of good pattern control - would it be possible to provide FULL radiation information of Danley SBH speaker - say f.e. polar plots on one octave intervals in both horizontal and vertical in 10 degree steps - or any other method of your choice, that will bring PLENTY of information, but still can be wieved on any computer without fancy programs.

Thank you.

While we agree on importance of good pattern control - would it be possible to provide FULL radiation information of Danley SBH speaker - say f.e. polar plots on one octave intervals in both horizontal and vertical in 10 degree steps - or any other method of your choice, that will bring PLENTY of information, but still can be wieved on any computer without fancy programs.

It's all on thier website. Just download Danley Direct.