tall skinny speakers

Re: tall skinny speakers

Will it keep up with a TH412?
It depends on what you call "keeping up"

If you mean it will produce the same SPL-not even close.

HOWEVER-in almost every case (especially where a sub would be used) the sub level capability needs to be higher than the full range cabinet. 10dB is usually minimum and up to 25dB-depending on music styles.

That is a HUGE difference in capability.

So as usual-it depends on how loud the subs are in relation to the full range cabinet.

For most "average" pop style usage a TH118 would be the correct capability sub.

The TH412 goes lower and louder (than the TH118)-so in some cases (think dance clubs) a TH412 may be a great match for the SBH10.

For an acoustic act-it would be way overkill.

It depends on what you call "keeping up"

If you mean it will produce the same SPL-not even close.

HOWEVER-in almost every case (especially where a sub would be used) the sub level capability needs to be higher than the full range cabinet. 10dB is usually minimum and up to 25dB-depending on music styles.

That is a HUGE difference in capability.

So as usual-it depends on how loud the subs are in relation to the full range cabinet.

For most "average" pop style usage a TH118 would be the correct capability sub.

The TH412 goes lower and louder (than the TH118)-so in some cases (think dance clubs) a TH412 may be a great match for the SBH10.

For an acoustic act-it would be way overkill.

Thanks Ivan, That is the answer I am looking for. I wouldn't be using them for acoustic stuff. The less you have to beat on something the longer it will last.

Thanks Ivan, That is the answer I am looking for. I wouldn't be using them for acoustic stuff. The less you have to beat on something the longer it will last.
To give another idea of the output-single SBH10s are replacing 4 element line arrays in a 100,000 + seat stadium. We did a side by side demo and the SBH10 was much better.

It is a distributed system and will be using other elements as well. THE SBH10s are covering the upper bowl. SH96HOs covering the lower bowl and OS80s covering the underbowl.

The install should be done in a couple of months and more details will be reveled then.

To give another idea of the output-single SBH10s are replacing 4 element line arrays in a 100,000 + seat stadium. We did a side by side demo and the SBH10 was much better.

It is a distributed system and will be using other elements as well. THE SBH10s are covering the upper bowl. SH96HOs covering the lower bowl and OS80s covering the underbowl.

The install should be done in a couple of months and more details will be reveled then.

can an you ask around the shop for the MSRP? Please!

I think end user price is $5-6K.

Is that each or for a pair?

Either way they are too pricy for my little wallet.

For that kind of money I could upgrade to the bigger better taller more powerful version that uses 6's or 8's plus a 2" horn. Unfortunately they are a bit too big for me to deploy by myself. The magic happens when you can get 2 or more on top of each other and that presents a logistical problem for attaching them to each other and securing them properly.

Just used mine again for a jazzier indoor gig with 3 separate female divaish R&B/jazz singers so I broke out the Heil PR35's and it was pretty special sounding if I do say so myself :D~:-D~:grin:

For that kind of money I could upgrade to the bigger better taller more powerful version that uses 6's or 8's plus a 2" horn. Unfortunately they are a bit too big for me to deploy by myself. The magic happens when you can get 2 or more on top of each other and that presents a logistical problem for attaching them to each other and securing them properly.

Just used mine again for a jazzier indoor gig with 3 separate female divaish R&B/jazz singers so I broke out the Heil PR35's and it was pretty special sounding if I do say so myself :D~:-D~:grin:

If it is working great for you don't fix it Gene. Yes that price is each.

As with most things-it is not always the price-but the job it does.

Recently the SBH10 was part of a measuring session (done by others) that included STI measurements in a reverberant space.

All the other products were more (some much more) expensive and larger than the SBH10.

A comment from one of the guys putting it on "Yeah its just like Danley to bring a single channel passive cabinet to a gathering of more expensive and larger and highly processed cabinets-and it was able to keep up with the best of them"

I bet in some ways it was able to surpass them

Hopefully the results will be made public soon.

For that kind of money I could upgrade to the bigger better taller more powerful version that uses 6's or 8's plus a 2" horn. :
How low does the 2" go? The spacing of 8" drivers means that the HF has to go pretty low to avoid interference issues between the spaced drivers.

That is the reason most manufacturers use physically small drivers-so they can get them close together so they don't interfere as much with each other.

How low does the 2" go? The spacing of 8" drivers means that the HF has to go pretty low to avoid interference issues between the spaced drivers.

That is the reason most manufacturers use physically small drivers-so they can get them close together so they don't interfere as much with each other.

Not sure what the x-over point is on any of them.

I briefly heard a single 8 + 2 version when they were about to do some testing on it but I had to get to a band gig. That pair was sent to some high school auditorium. I did hear the 6 + 2 version with 2 pairs stacked on top of each other and they were really impressive. They got drug out to a local outdoor event along with 4 of his Sub Engines but I was working elsewhere and didn't get to hear them together.

As with most things-it is not always the price-but the job it does.

Recently the SBH10 was part of a measuring session (done by others) that included STI measurements in a reverberant space.

All the other products were more (some much more) expensive and larger than the SBH10.

A comment from one of the guys putting it on "Yeah its just like Danley to bring a single channel passive cabinet to a gathering of more expensive and larger and highly processed cabinets-and it was able to keep up with the best of them"

I bet in some ways it was able to surpass them

Hopefully the results will be made public soon.

That's exactly the point of this whole thread. Granted there is no one size fits all answer to what type of speakers people need for a given project but these newfangled skinny speakers are really a great tool and they do fit the bill for many venues indoor and out.

That's exactly the point of this whole thread. Granted there is no one size fits all answer to what type of speakers people need for a given project but these newfangled skinny speakers are really a great tool and they do fit the bill for many venues indoor and out.
Just as there are different sized screwdrivers and wrenches. You don't always need (or want) the large one or the small one.

It depends on the job at hand as to what tool to use.

Of course-just as with any tool-measurements of what it can and can't do are important. Some tools are not as they appear.

Just go to any flea market and buy the cheap wrenches or screwdrivers etc. They may look fine-but when you go to use them-they don't hold up on the heavier jobs-but do just fine for lighter weight usage and for people who don't make their living with their tools.

The real tools cost more money-and there is a reason for it. And they hold up better.

And the screw driver heads fit the screws better-the wrenches don't round off the heads of the nuts and so forth.

That is not exactly a good analogy-but it "kinda" works.

Just as there are different sized screwdrivers and wrenches. You don't always need (or want) the large one or the small one.

It depends on the job at hand as to what tool to use.

Of course-just as with any tool-measurements of what it can and can't do are important. Some tools are not as they appear.

Just go to any flea market and buy the cheap wrenches or screwdrivers etc. They may look fine-but when you go to use them-they don't hold up on the heavier jobs-but do just fine for lighter weight usage and for people who don't make their living with their tools.

The real tools cost more money-and there is a reason for it. And they hold up better.

And the screw driver heads fit the screws better-the wrenches don't round off the heads of the nuts and so forth.

That is not exactly a good analogy-but it "kinda" works.

Let me take a stab at it.

A Smart Car and a Aston Martin DBS will both get you to work and on time. But one is much more fun, fast, safe, with a lot in reserve, but yes, more expensive. It is ok to settle for a Chevy or a Ford, there is no shame in that. And I doubt very many in the crowd will ever know.

I still stick ( no pun intended ) to my statement that anyone can build a single sized small driver (3 or 4") line array with subs and it will work well for a fixed position crowd. Moving around will point out some issues that measurements will show. But that doesn't mean that it sucks either.

Let me take a stab at it.

A Smart Car and a Aston Martin DBS will both get you to work and on time. But one is much more fun, fast, safe, with a lot in reserve, but yes, more expensive. It is ok to settle for a Chevy or a Ford, there is no shame in that. And I doubt very many in the crowd will ever know.

I still stick ( no pun intended ) to my statement that anyone can build a single sized small driver (3 or 4") line array with subs and it will work well for a fixed position crowd. Moving around will point out some issues that measurements will show. But that doesn't mean that it sucks either.

Yeah I get it - you guys are all poo pooing these things - tell ya what - bring your ears and you measuring tools and even bring several similar class stick speakers and we'll see how you feel about them then. Let's throw another analogy out there - sometimes the BMW's and Vette's get a surprise from a Datsun >>> [video=youtube_share;369h-SEBXd8]http://youtu.be/369h-SEBXd8[/video]

A sleeper Datsun. I thought it was a Ford Cortina.

If you say it sounds and works well enough for your needs, and you get compliments along with repeat and new business you'll get no poo poo from me.
I'd love to hear them some day, if I am not eaten by Polar bears first.

Is the lady in the middle provide the sound effects? From the reflections from the umbrella back into the mics?

You can get some interesting "sounds" when it is moved around like that

Under ordinary circumstances you might get some wild noises but when you're dealing with heat like that it numbs the brain slows all motion - you can't remember lyrics - you can't think straight - so really we don't know if it sounded good or not but some people seemed to like it so I'm going with that. :lol: