Wow! iPad app for Studiolive 16 and 24!!

Re: Wow! iPad app for Studiolive 16 and 24!!

If I had to listen to the music I'd have given up long ago. I just listen to the sound...

Indeed, Dick! I'm terrible at music, can't play anything to save my life, but I love sound.

Having played music all my life (so far) I can at least tell whether or not a band can be mixed. Some are so bad that their arrangements cannot be corrected or made coherent no matter what you do. We've all had to say, ''Lady, it's not the sound system that sucks. It's the band.''

But back to the original topic:

I own and use (when the occasion calls for it) a StudioLive 16 channel board. I will never, ever own an IPad.......

I'm in a small town of 10,000 in Alberta Canada. 3 hours west of Edmonton, the nearest major market. Bands pass through going back and forth from BC - Alberta, so they are able to get some traffic bandwise that way.

There's a country bar, and the cover bands bring their own gear.

Only one problem: without flying faders you can't mix remotely.

This in not true. The faders just don't move on the board. Try to watch the clip with an open mind. Change is good. Competition is good. A friend of mine has the 16 channel version and sent me that YouTube clip. I replied asking if it was Apple Airport or wireless router hooked to a laptop and he replied - ''I had my laptop hooked up to a wireless router and firewire to the board. I was controlling

it from 100' away easy ! That's without the app, just VNC viewer on the computer.

The app will make things SO EASY, no more snakes !!!''

I kind of like the idea of not needing a snake - especially a 24 channel 10 send snake. Even the macdaddy iPads are cheaper than a 24/10 100 ft. snake. I'm saving my pennies for a 24 channel StudioLive. My A&H GL2400 is available as well as some outboard gear. Let the wailing and knashing of teeth begin!

This in not true. The faders just don't move on the board. Try to watch the clip with an open mind. Change is good. Competition is good. A friend of mine has the 16 channel version and sent me that YouTube clip. I replied asking if it was Apple Airport or wireless router hooked to a laptop and he replied - ''I had my laptop hooked up to a wireless router and firewire to the board. I was controlling

it from 100' away easy ! That's without the app, just VNC viewer on the computer.

I kind of like the idea of not needing a snake - especially a 24 channel 10 send snake. Even the macdaddy iPads are cheaper than a 24/10 100 ft. snake. I'm saving my pennies for a 24 channel StudioLive. My A&H GL2400 is available as well as some outboard gear. Let the wailing and knashing of teeth begin!

Gene....

My friend Marty has a 24 channel model that (although he had some initial setup problems) he can control from a tablet. He has tested it out in his apartment building and has had no problems going over 100' away, indoors with all the associated obstructions.

Silas....

The lack of flying faders on a StudioLive is the least of your problems.

Gene....

My friend Marty has a 24 channel model that (although he had some initial setup problems) he can control from a tablet. He has tested it out in his apartment building and has had no problems going over 100' away, indoors with all the associated obstructions.

Silas....

The lack of flying faders on a StudioLive is the least of your problems.

It will be interesting to see if in 10 years time these things develop the same cult like following the the 01v and the MixWiz have and more importantly will they still be around to talk about? Let's hope that some new fangled simpler thing comes along at 1/3 the price that cook and do your laundry for you too. Then we can all complain about their lack of features and the MI starch in our shirts.
icon_confused.gif

I've asked this question before an can't seem to find anyone with an answer.

Lets say vocal is in channel 1 and the fader on the desk is all the way down. A person takes their Ipad out and moves the fader in it up to 0db and the vocal is great. Now they go back to the desk and move fader 1 up just a little say -30db.

What happens?

Does the vocal drop back down? Does the fader not work until it reaches 0db?

I don't know what it is called but does the person have to put the board in ''calibrate'' mode.(Locate I think its called) Move all the faders until the meter bridge reads 0 then take it out to stop this problem?

Having an Ipad App. is great but how does the board with its faders not in the same place as the Ipad figure in to this? I wouldn't want allot of recalibrating just to go back and use the board.

How does this work?

Douglas R. Allen

Lets say vocal is in channel 1 and the fader on the desk is all the way down. A person takes their Ipad out and moves the fader in it up to 0db and the vocal is great. Now they go back to the desk and move fader 1 up just a little say -30db.

What happens?

I don't know what it is called but does the person have to put the board in ''calibrate'' mode.(Locate I think its called) Move all the faders until the meter bridge reads 0 then take it out to stop this problem?

Having an Ipad App. is great but how does the board with its faders not in the same place as the Ipad figure in to this? I wouldn't want allot of recalibrating just to go back and use the board.

How does this work?

Douglas R. Allen

He brings up a valid point.

What happens?

How does this work?

Douglas R. Allen

He brings up a valid point.

Those thoughts have been bugging my po lil' pea brain too.

I suspect that when you touch the actual board that it will over ride what the iPad told it. The next big question is. What about the rest of the channels and associated tweaks that were done via Airport/iPad ? Do they stay put when you touch a channel on the board? I would hope so. The video does not address that.

I will say that when the remote ''whatever'' (tablet, laptop, iPad, etc) makes changes, the hardware does not physically reflect those changes.

You must press ''locate'' to make up the sliders to the new positions the tablet put them in. Any other changes in eq, aux send, etc. are present when you look at them on the mixer. To make them permanent, you save the scene.

Anytime I go into the audience to mix, I have to come back and locate the faders. Yes, it takes a few seconds. I don't mind. Is it better to have flying faders? Probably, if you need ease and quickness.

I also have one room where I can't locate FOH anywhere but at the stage. I just setup at the table with my friends in the middle of the audience and mix on the laptop. Works great! And there's no snake to worry about. I would mix like this all the time, but there is one ''gotcha''. I cannot use the ''tap delay'' on the remote. I can, howver, adjust and make delay changes, just not on tempo. I have to go to the hardware to do that. In my case, I only need a precise delay on a few songs, but it gives me an excuse to get up and stretch my legs during the show.

I wanted to briefly weigh in as a neutral party. When I decided last summer to start a new hobby after being out of pro sound/recording for 25 years, I did a lot of research in a short time (recovery from knee surgery).

Affordable digital and some bandmate friends was an alignment of stars so I decided to take the plunge. I started with an interest in the LS9-32 but found used are tough to come by. My needs were to build a home mix down studio with an occasional live show as a BE. I finally settled on the SL24 for feature/price after reading some heated discussions against it on the other board.

One day I bid on a new model featured on eBay at a few hundred below the common $3200. With 5 seconds left I watched my bid get trumped on my iPhone screen. Pissed!

I waited a few weeks while gathering other gear and deciding on a laptop (MacBook Pro 15). One day on a whim I broadened my eBay search to all Yammies and the first hit was a 02RV96 in mint condition fully loaded for not much more $! I scrambled to research it and two hour later had my offer accepted!

Since August I wonder every day if it was karma since the 02 has way more recording/mix features and that is mostly what I am using it for. I did one live show; it worked great.

My moral is that I would have been happy with the SL24 and for weekend live work it may have been the best choice. The Yammie is in another league and I am thrilled to have it. I think of the SL as a great value in an amateur market while the Yammies digitals are profession gear.

My experience. Hope it helps someone.

....but there is one ''gotcha''. I cannot use the ''tap delay'' on the remote. I can, howver, adjust and make delay changes, just not on tempo. I have to go to the hardware to do that. In my case, I only need a precise delay on a few songs, but it gives me an excuse to get up and stretch my legs during the show.

Can't you save the delay settings you need and recall them for those songs?

....but there is one ''gotcha''. I cannot use the ''tap delay'' on the remote. I can, howver, adjust and make delay changes, just not on tempo. I have to go to the hardware to do that. In my case, I only need a precise delay on a few songs, but it gives me an excuse to get up and stretch my legs during the show.

Can't you save the delay settings you need and recall them for those songs?

Yes. But. There's always a but.

I have delays saved. I just haven't got the band saved to my tempo.
icon_lol.gif

I

One day I bid on a new model featured on eBay at a few hundred below the common $3200. With 5 seconds left I watched my bid get trumped on my iPhone screen. Pissed!

I waited a few weeks while gathering other gear and deciding on a laptop (MacBook Pro 15). One day on a whim I broadened my eBay search to all Yammies and the first hit was a 02RV96 in mint condition fully loaded for not much more $! I scrambled to research it and two hour later had my offer accepted!

Since August I wonder every day if it was karma since the 02 has way more recording/mix features and that is mostly what I am using it for. I did one live show; it worked great.

My moral is that I would have been happy with the SL24 and for weekend live work it may have been the best choice. The Yammie is in another league and I am thrilled to have it. I think of the SL as a great value in an amateur market while the Yammies digitals are profession gear.

My experience. Hope it helps someone.

Cool, I had an O2R for years and would be comfy on the 96 as well. You don't get a warrentee but that is always the case with used.

By the way, I just purchased a new SL 24.4.2 for less than $2700....shipped. Not a big deal but still $5-600 is real dough.

I just loaded Capture on my Macbook and it looks stupid easy...great for the church volunteers to just..''click the red record button to start...hit the spacebar the stop.'' And it automatically sets up to record a buss out...main L/R in this case..which they can use to immediately use to put the sermon up on the website.

John

I wish they would actually have the app available for download. I'm itching to try it out. The idea of putting iPads on stage so the musicians can tweak their own mix is pretty interesting. An iPad on a stand for each mix. Can't wait to see how idiot resistant they made that feature.

I've had a Presonus board for 6 months or so. The shine has worn off and its weaknesses now show. But this new iPad interface will bring in some new excitement.

How about this for a product idea?

A ''stage rack'' version of the StudioLive with 24 microphone and, say 3 or four ''local'' line level inputs for CD players, iPods and the like.

Hook up the thing to a computer for control and another if you're recording and ''drive'' from the iPad.

Perfect for weddings, banquets and other events where the event planner doesn't want to see one of those big mixer ''things''.

Wonder what price PreSonus could bring that in for?

MI stores sell musical instruments as their primary focus. They sometimes also carry an assortment of PA gear, usually geared towards musicians that want to set up their own PA. Their knowledge is more on the instruments than on PA gear.

It is much more common to find MI retail stores than it would be to find a store that focused purely on pro audio gear. This is because those buying instruments typically will buy whatever the store has in stock. It's a convenience purchase. In higher end pro audio, you will tend to do more research and decide exactly what product you want. For a store to be able to stock everything that anyone wants and have it available to display is nearly impossible. Unless you are in a huge city, it's not going to happen.

Oh, and you don't need to apologize for being Canadian. he he he.
icon_lol.gif