X-Air internal AP FUBARness

Ron Kimball

Senior
Mar 5, 2011
NE CT
Hmm... the internal AP only supports WEP "shared key" and Windows 8 and above only supports the more secure WEP "open system". So you can't connect from Windows 8 or 10. Good one Behringer x(~:dead::roll:8O~8-O~:shock::razz::thumbdown:

Re: X-Air internal AP FUBARness

I don't know what the engineers designing this thing were thinking when they selected a wireless networking module that does not support WPA2/CCMP in AP mode. Yes, "open system" is less insecure than "shared key" but if you're in any way worried about that difference you really should not be using WEP at all anymore.

I don't know what the engineers designing this thing were thinking when they selected a wireless networking module that does not support WPA2/CCMP in AP mode.
Prolly cheaper?
Yes, "open system" is less insecure than "shared key"
Actually according to Microsoft "open system" is harder to crack than "shared key" which is why they stopped supporting the latter.
but if you're in any way worried about that difference you really should not be using WEP at all anymore.
Just to be clear- no, I'm not worried and have a WEP "open system" guest network (internet only) set up at home for a few devices I own that can't do WAP. I just want to be able to connect to the X-Air wirelessly at home and possibly at venues not located in WiFi congested areas.

Just as an aside one of my rehearsal spots is in a suburban location where I can "see" a good dozen or more networks and can't connect to the house WiFi with my laptop (the rehearsal studio is in a separate building) - I bought a $10 USB adapter with a +6db omnidirectional antenna and that works fine even with multiple networks on the same channel.

Last edited:

The internal ap is not usable for anything except for setup in the shop.
Well, just for kicks I wanted to explore its limitations. If there's a channel free for it to work on I don't see why it can't work?
For anything else you need a good router
Just to explore a pet peeve of mine (AKA poor understanding of networking) I run my Mackie DL1608 with a 5GHz AP, no router needed 8)~:cool:~:cool:. Of course to make that work I have to run static IPs as I have no DHCP but the DL works better that way anyways. I haven't tried that with the X-Air yet but it supports static addresses so should work fine and even has a DHCP server if needed/wanted.

Well, I rustled up a couple other Windows 10 laptops and darn if they didn't connect. Mine has the "fast ring" beta on it so maybe that's the problem - I tried an older driver but no joy ( . I even put up another network using WEP "open system" with the same results. I sure hate these kinds of problems with their unhelpful Windows messages. The Acrylic WiFi scanner program reports them both as "shared key" but the second network is actually set to accept both so I'll assume the X-Air is too. Oy Vey :?~:-?~:???:

Yup, just heard back that the latest beta of Win 10 doesn't work with WEP at all. And no promises that Win 10 will continue to support WEP :( .

Hi Rob,
While it is true that Microsoft has decided to eliminate support for WEP for Windows 8/10, I’d like to point out that you can still access WEP on both Apple (OSX/iOS) and Google (Android) devices, as well as Windows 7 or earlier. If one must use Windows 8/10, the Ethernet port is available for connecting directly to either your computer or an external router.

Regarding the internal AP in X AIR mixers, we provide an affordable solution that works for a majority of our users.

Last edited:

[/FONT]Regarding the internal AP in X AIR mixers, we provide an affordable solution that works for a majority of our users.

Based on comments and personal experience, the internal AP does not work for a majority of users for anything other than in shop configuration. The reliability is so poor that is all but unusable. Adding your own access point, such as an Airport Express is required if you want it to actually work.

Brian -

Have you set a password on your xair? I have not had the issues with my xr16 I keep hearing about, perhaps this vid will be of value. I have routers 2.4/5 gig that I use for my larger mixers, so if I were to have a connection problem, an external router is a quick solution for troublesome conditions...

-Tim T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIX7i1uGtnM

Actually according to Microsoft "open system" is harder to crack than "shared key" which is why they stopped supporting the latter.

That's what I said as well... WEP is easy to crack in both modes but "shared key" is worse than "open system".

A short explanation: If a wireless client is connecting to an access point it is going through a phase known as "association". With "shared key" it is not possible to associate with an access point unless you have the correct WEP key. To verify if the client has the correct key the AP sends an plaintext message to the client ("challenge") which the client the encrypts with its key and returns to the AP ("response"). Now the AP can verify if the client has the correct keys and accept or reject the association.

If an attacker can capture both the association challenge and response packets he now has the same packet twice: once unencrypted and once encrypted. This makes it very easy to break the encryption by comparing the two since it is known that the actual data inside is the same.

With "open system" a client is allowed to associate with an access point whether it has the right keys or not. (during the association phase there's no key exchange)
When you're actually trying to transmit data however, the AP will not be able to decrypt the packets if the keys don't match so they will be discarded. Effectively, even though you're associated, you do not have a working network connection unless you have the correct keys.

Because there's no challenge/response that can be captured and directly compared this is harder to crack. The disadvantage is that an AP can get associations from clients that have no working connection but still take up some processing time and bandwidth from that AP.

There are other security flaws in WEP that can be exploited in either mode however.
Any device that is designed less than 10 years ago really should support WPA2 or at least WPA.

S.R.

The X-Air does support WAP in client mode, I can't imagine its more than software that prevents it working in AP mode?