X32 Discussion

Re: Post fader metering

Danté, without a doubt !

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

we are in the process of developing further Expansion Cards for the X32.

Aside from a USB recording card that directly connects with an external HD, we are also considering to offer a Dante networking card.

Can you please share with us what you would be interested in.

Many thanks!

Warm regards (@ 32 degree Celsius in Manila)

Uli

Re: X32 update

Hello again, I have been receiving multiple emails about my flying fader issue and if Behringer is taking care of it. So instead of answering over 15 emails individually I will answer here. It has been shipped out on 26Nov12, so I am renting out another board in the interim so back to analog for now, boo hiss. Still waiting on a status report at this time hopefully it arrived safely, I am sure that the service department is busy so I am being patient. I tell you what, after using that board and dragging out an analog board with outboard equipment suck ass big time, lol. Having withdrawels now sitting in a dark corner haven't eaten or shaved for days need a shower... help me folks.

So sorry to hear about the flying faders problem, and the depressed state you find yourself in. Hang in there and hope you get the board back soon!!!

Here's an actual view from my room-->

Concerning additional cards...DANTE is the new standard for sure. In addition there is still a lot of ADAT/MADI gear around, that could be still useful.
I'm curious, what you will come up with. It is nice to see, that the X32 familiy is so vivid concerning new features and additional gear.

Have a great weekend!
Christian

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Aside from a USB recording card that directly connects with an external HD, we are also considering to offer a Dante networking card.

Many thanks!

Uli

32 channels of Adat. Not to sway the topic too much but USB record out on the new ADA82000 would have been nice as well!

Douglas R. Allen

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Many thanks!

Uli

Surround Monitoring would be nice! :) and maybe an expansion box to add multiple expansion Cards

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Many thanks!

Uli

My wish is a USB recording card that directly connects with an external HD and FiWi.
You just need the functionality of the XUF-card expand with direct-HDD record via USB.

Regards Walter

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Many thanks!

Uli

Dear Uli,

will the usb recording card also allow playback of the recorded tracks ?- if so will you also be introducing dynamic automation on the X32 to allow mixing out of the box - that would be great! OH Will it allow recording of all 32 tracks - I seem to remember some earlier posts saying it would be restricted to 24,

many thanks

Nick

Re: Firmware v1.10 Release Notes

This is where making it a configuration option would be cool. Each could have what works best for them. Same as the mute group functionality; if they feel it should be the way it is, it'd be nice if they'd at least add a configuration option to apply the more traditional analog board style of mute group functionality.

-- Mitch

Who is to say this would be a simple software addition like a slight modification to mute group functionality options? The thing with touch faders is just that... You don't necessarily have to move them for the fader follow... Which means there's some level of actual touch sensitivity on those "other" brands, so to truly replicate what you're looking for on higher priced consoles would involve a hardware change and unnecessary added cost to the entire system.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just an observation. The one thing I'm seeing here with feature requests that a lot of people are asking for is trying to make it a console it is not... Even having not touched one yet, I agree this is a great console, but the point remains it is still a $3k console... Some software changes are possible while still keeping it in that price range, but there's some feature requests I'm seeing people ask for that are trying to turn this into a $10k+ console, but for the $3k price. Mute group changes, most likely. User/Admin levels, most likely. Follow-fader in a way you're expecting from the LS9 and other, doubtful. Yes we're in a unique position as part of this forum, being able to interact with Uli himself to help shape the future of this console, but keep in mind what is possible in this price point, I think Uli's already gone above and beyond just getting this console into that price point to begin with, lets not put him out of business because of features that don't belong and aren't fiscally feasible in this price point. There's things I'd love to see in this console besides some of the suggestions I've made already, but I've already come to terms with the fact that there's just some things you can't do for $3k, and for those features you just have to realize there are other consoles for that, like the LS9 or, if you actually want to support Mr. Uli in the changes he's making to his company's reputation, the Midas Pro series.

minor fault???

Hi - I am probably doing something wrong but is this a minor fault?

If I pair two channels - pressing the mute or sole of one correctly effects both channels and both pairs of leds light up.
However, if I then unlink the channels - the mute buttons work independently but the solo buttons still operate as though they were linked.

Rebooting the console ( after safe shutdown) removes the linked solo buttons

Nick

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Many thanks!

Uli

Uli,

I would like to thank you for being a part of the discussion here and publicly asking for users' ideas to improve your product. It takes dedication and courage for the owner of a Manufacturer to expose himself on public forums...

I am a designer of installed audio systems. I work in many churches, auditoria, halls, theaters and athletic facilities. Like everyone else, our clients' expectations are always inversely proportional to their budgets. In the past, I've considered Behringer products to not be suitable for installations due to performance and quality issues. I've recently mixed a three week run of a show on the X32 and was very impressed. I own a Pro2C and an M7CL one of which I would have typically used had I not wanted to give the X32 a drive. I really enjoyed my time with the console. It proved to be an admirable performer as well as reliable. Toward the end of the run, I did have problems with the Mute Group 1 button getting sticky. That problem will need some attention, but that sort of thing can happen to any piece of gear. it seems to me that with the X32 and your new warranty policies, that Behringer may be finally turning a new page and becoming a manufacturer of serious equipment worth consideration. I will be giving serious consideration to the X32/S16 combo for upcoming installation projects.

Personally, I would love to see a Dante card developed for the X32. This would make it an easy choice for many budget-challenged installations where we will be incorporating Dante as a link to system processing. Using Dante Virtual Soundcard, this would also allow the client to multitrack record. If a Dante card is implemented, please provide at least a 32x32 channel solution.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Levels and First Gig

Sorry if I seemed to be dissing you. Not intended. I just found it strange because I did exactly the same thing, just swopped out the analog FOH setup for the X32. Everything seemed to work out fine.
Might you have had some gain changes in your external processing?

Mick Berg.

That's what I thought to but no. I swapped sends and cables. I am going to try another drive rack. Unlikely to fix.it because my monitors are the same way. I have them cranked up so much I have to gain the channel to get more. It almost seems comoressed/padded. I'll keep troubleshooting and keep you updated .

Dear Ken,

The firmware 1.10 upgrade does not behave any different than its predecessors, because the bootloader has never changed. It is known that USB sticks can have rather odd response timing when being prompted by the boot-loader, which is covered by generous time frames in which replies are expected. You can experience this often when connecting sticks to the PC and the times for mounting it may vary considerably. The X32 bootloader is allowing for 1.5 sec until the USB drive has to signal that it is there at all (which btw is much longer than the USB spec requires). Then the stick has a total of 5 sec to get itself prepared for reading. If the bootloader cannot find any suitable update file during that time, it would just start the regular boot process with the previous firmware.

When a suitable update file is found, the message 'checking integrity' will be displayed and the file is loaded. When the check is successful, the firmware will be exchanged and used for booting with the new version. When the check fails, the data will be discarded and the X32 will boot the previous firmware version.

In your example obviously the stick responded timely and a suitable update file was present, so the 'checking integrity' process was started.
If you find the old system is still present after booting, there are only 2 possible reasons:
1. the 'dcp_corefs_1.10.update' file is not the only one present in the USB drive's root directory
2. the 'dcp_corefs_1.10.update' file was corrupted while being extracted/stored from the zip file, e.g. if you un-zipped directly to the stick and removed it without ejecting the medium properly (i.e. using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function)

Hope that helps.

Jan

If you find the old system is still present after booting, there are only 2 possible reasons:
1. the 'dcp_corefs_1.10.update' file is not the only one present in the USB drive's root directory

Good morning Jan. Is item number 1 above suggesting that the update be the only *file* in the root of the USB stick, or the only *ROM image file* in the root?

I tried to update my board last night, and it didn't recognize the new ROM image. Although the USB stick might have other files on it, I'm pretty sure there was only one ROM image file. I'll check it and try again tonight.

-- Mitch

ETA: I just looked at my USB stick. It has both 1.09 and 1.10 *zip* files on it, but only the extracted files from 1.10. I figured it would have seen those and updated. I'll try again tonight with only the extracted file from 1.10 and see if it's a stick-choice issue, or if it was just because I had other files in the root of the stick.

Re: S16 and XiControl gain not working

Dear Dick,
Your observation is correct, and it is a known topic we accepted for the time being, because anyway S16 were not yet available when v1.2 was released. The XiControl 1.2 was submitted for Apple approval several weeks before the required OSC server update in the console firmware was available. However, the recent fw release 1.10 includes the additional protocol and the next release of XiControl 1.3 will allow remote access to the S16 preamps. FYI, XiControl 1.3 is providing many additional features and is definitely a major update. We just start the internal QA procedures, the planned submission to Apple is before end of the year. So, it will be available in the app-store early next year.

Your suggestion copying channel gain information whenever remote preamps are connected to that channel is a bit tricky, actually. Currently the analog gain parameter is a property of the preamp, not a property of the channel it is sent to. Which makes sense, because the mic is physically connected to the preamp so its analog gain setting will only be relevant to this preamp. Consequently, the analog gain setting for a preamp that is feeding two channels can only be defined once! You can verify this on the console e.g. by using the same local input on Ch1 and Ch2. Copying information from a random channel to a preamp might rather be dangerous, than useful. The Trim however, is a property of the channel, as it is independent from any hardware. That means trims can be different on two channels being fed from the same source.

When the AES50 connection between S16 and console is established, and the corresponding AES50 channels are routed to the channel processing, then the S16 preamp gain will follow the X32 Gain control. Please note that the physical preamp gain stages have a resolution of 2.5 dB (20 steps, -2...+45.5 dB), as you can see at the S16 gain display or on the X32 Setup/preamps page. When an analog preamp is patched to one of the X32 input channels, the range will be expanded and interpolated digitally (0.5 dB steps, -12 dB ... +60 dB), with a total of 145 steps. E.g., if you are altering the console gain from 13...15 dB, you wouldn’t notice any change on the S16, because the analog A/D Gain will remain at +13 dB.

Jan

Re: Expansion Cards

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

Many thanks!

Uli

I'm surprised no one has yet to mention thunderbolt. For Mac users who are planning on buying a new laptop soon, it will most likely not have FireWire anymore. There are adapters available but I have heard they are not completely transparent and do not like heavy audio processing. Please tell me a thunderbolt card will be on the way and I will be a happy camper.

software updates - USB stick issues - my solution

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this and apologies if so. My USB stick is not recognised for doing a software update when using the standard method of booting up the X32 with the USB stick inserted - however if I use the alternative option of changing the sample rate ( which causes a reboot) the usb stick is recognised and the update loads fine and dandy.

Also the said stick is fine to record to.

Nick

Sub Groups always in pairs?

Did some more playing with the X32 last night; headed toward tracking drums.

A while back I asked about sub-groups vs. mix buses. After studying how things are setup at our church (which was done by a well experienced sound team; not me!), I decided to create a group for vocals, one for instruments, and one for the drums.

When I setup the bus as a group, the X32 (appears to have) automatically setup the adjacent bus the same way. I assume this is to permit a stereo group, but what if I really only want a mono sub-group? Is that possible, or are groups always done in stereo pairs? No problem when I set them up as mix buses, but the group configuration surprised me.

-- Mitch

Talkback to P16m

Hi, enjoying my x32, just a quick question, is there anyway to use the talkback section to communicate to musicians using the p16m system? and not just to those using the wedges with monitor sends

Re: Talkback to P16m

Hi, enjoying my x32, just a quick question, is there anyway to use the talkback section to communicate to musicians using the p16m system? and not just to those using the wedges with monitor sends

I also just noticed this. It doesnt appear that there is a way to directly route talkback to the P16 system. However, if you have a mixbus assigned to one of the P16 inputs, you could simply send your talkback through that mixbus as well. It would be nice if they added a direct connect via the talkback config panel tho.

Last edited: