X32 Discussion

Re: Firmware v1.10 Release Notes

Mick -

Sorry to disagree with you about the "fader-select" option, I feel it's not only unnecessary, but a hindrance to good mixing. Because you personally have become accustomed to something doesn't mean it's proper or vital. Yes, I bought one of the first LS9-32s to hit the US in 2005, used it for over 5 years and regularly used the auto-select function - until the final time I EQ'd the wrong channel. Why remove the ability to mix faders while performing adjustments on a given channel strip? Why risk merely bumping or accidentally touching a fader and being inadvertently re-selected?

If you are forgetting to select a channel before making its adjustments, I suggest that's a personal problem, not a problem with console function.

If Behringer sees fit to add an auto-select option, fine with me, but the importance of this feature is minimal at best, IMO.

-Tim Tyler

There are several more requests/issues that should be higher on the list of priorities. Like brewing a cup of coffee for example. :)

Because you personally have become accustomed to something doesn't mean it's proper or vital. Yes, I bought one of the first LS9-32s to hit the US in 2005, used it for over 5 years and regularly used the auto-select function - until the final time I EQ'd the wrong channel. Why remove the ability to mix faders while performing adjustments on a given channel strip? Why risk merely bumping or accidentally touching a fader and being inadvertently re-selected?

This is where making it a configuration option would be cool. Each could have what works best for them. Same as the mute group functionality; if they feel it should be the way it is, it'd be nice if they'd at least add a configuration option to apply the more traditional analog board style of mute group functionality.

-- Mitch

There are several more requests/issues that should be higher on the list of priorities. Like brewing a cup of coffee for example. :)

Now, there is a feature I have really been missing, I would gladly give up 96KHz, autotune and feedback quench to have coffee!!!!

Re: New Firmware

I teach singers to use mike technique and vocal tricks to improve the sound, and that can be so much more effective than trying to fix it later in the chain.

Exactly - otherwise known as garbage in/garbage out.

I learned my digital photography from an old school photographer. Film, black and white/color developing, medium format, portraiture, product shots, location shoots - the whole nine yards. He was also a wiz with photoshop - but he stressed it was far easier to "just" take better pictures in the first place then to take mediocre pictures and spend hours in photoshop cleaning them up. So I hung with him, picked up the fundamentals and I enjoy the overall process that much more now. I have more fun interacting with the camera getting a clean shot in the first place then sitting in front of a computer pixel pushing with photoshop to get the equivalent result.

I've noticed the same trends with audio. Just because you have plugins, effects, EQ and all kinds of other tools doesn't mean you should go out of your way to throw it all in the mix. I guess this is a hold over from my photography experience but I think you have nailed one of the "secrets" - the best sound is the sound you needed to process the least but still sounds great.

Mick -

Sorry to disagree with you about the "fader-select" option, I feel it's not only unnecessary, but a hindrance to good mixing. Because you personally have become accustomed to something doesn't mean it's proper or vital. Yes, I bought one of the first LS9-32s to hit the US in 2005, used it for over 5 years and regularly used the auto-select function - until the final time I EQ'd the wrong channel. Why remove the ability to mix faders while performing adjustments on a given channel strip? Why risk merely bumping or accidentally touching a fader and being inadvertently re-selected?

If you are forgetting to select a channel before making its adjustments, I suggest that's a personal problem, not a problem with console function.

If Behringer sees fit to add an auto-select option, fine with me, but the importance of this feature is minimal at best, IMO.

-Tim Tyler

I totally agree with Tim! Many times i want to adjust the phat channel on a selected track with my left hand, while at the same time adjusting levels for other channels with my right hand. if they ever add this feature- it has to be configurable to enable/disable. absolutely not high on my wish-list.

By the way- last night gig was pretty good:

But tonight's gig is gonna be even better with the new firmware / xControl program :)

Baba.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 0
Re: Levels and First Gig

I don't understand this approach. "This isn't near as high as it ran"? It doesn't run, you run it. If the level is too high, run it lower. If you need more volume, turn up the amps or drive rack if you have one. That's what mixing is. What am I missing?

I did my first show with the X32 last week. First night, a collection of disorganised (but vt night, tehree large jazz ensembles who did sound checks that I was able to save! Fantastic!

The console worked perfectly, I got comments on the good sound, and actually thought I heard some improvement in clarity over the Venice that I used to use.

And I had no problems with gain structure, I "ran" the console between -18 and -12. I had to knock down the monitor amps by 6db. but the PA amps stayed the same.
Mick Berg.

your right i run the board . what your not getting is all i did is remove the board and rack and replace it with the x32. the signal coming in is fine . its a little high but it had to be ihad the monitor send cranked same as the slider .what im getting at is same amps same speaker less volume and the board wanted to clip .

we have plenty of rig these are the same rooms we have ran before . why is everyone so quick to throw everyone under the bus . this is a topic forum not a place to trash people. so i thought. i am going to swap drive racks however because something cannot be right .

your right i run the board . what your not getting is all i did is remove the board and rack and replace it with the x32. the signal coming in is fine . its a little high but it had to be ihad the monitor send cranked same as the slider .what im getting at is same amps same speaker less volume and the board wanted to clip .

Sorry if I seemed to be dissing you. Not intended. I just found it strange because I did exactly the same thing, just swopped out the analog FOH setup for the X32. Everything seemed to work out fine.
Might you have had some gain changes in your external processing?

Mick Berg.

Re: New Firmware - no read-only scenes

My guess is that the scenes per definition becomes read-only when they've finished implementing the administrative/operator privileges for the console.
Well, if that is in the works, it will solve my issue. Let's hope it comes soon.
Thanks for letting me know about it.:)~:)~:smile:

Mick berg.

Sorry if I seemed to be dissing you. Not intended. I just found it strange because I did exactly the same thing, just swopped out the analog FOH setup for the X32. Everything seemed to work out fine.
Might you have had some gain changes in your external processing?

Mick Berg.

Same here. Replaced an A+H GL3300 with the X32...nothing else changed and it is fine. Pot tapers canvary from product to product and actually the AllenHeath boards are about as different from others that I have found.

Re: X32 update

Hello again, I have been receiving multiple emails about my flying fader issue and if Behringer is taking care of it. So instead of answering over 15 emails individually I will answer here. It has been shipped out on 26Nov12, so I am renting out another board in the interim so back to analog for now, boo hiss. Still waiting on a status report at this time hopefully it arrived safely, I am sure that the service department is busy so I am being patient. I tell you what, after using that board and dragging out an analog board with outboard equipment suck ass big time, lol. Having withdrawels now sitting in a dark corner haven't eaten or shaved for days need a shower... help me folks.

Re: X32 update

X32 working full .....
-28 channels
- 8 buses to monitor
- 4 FX buses
- Xicontrol
- Recording in ProTools 9 with MacBook Pro

Happy with my machine.

greetings from Chile
320626_10151158302811452_653626224_n.jpg432342_10151158302696452_1920684414_n.jpg

432208_10151158301816452_298321613_n.jpg60836_10151158302331452_42951724_n.jpg

Did you change *anything* else, like a patch cable between console and outboard EQ/system DSP, etc?

What happens when you soft-patch L/R to other physical outputs? Does the problem remain? What trouble shooting steps have you taken and what were the results?

So have you tried downloading the firmware more than once? If there's corruption in the download, it will fail every time, no matter how many times you try.

Have you tried a different USB drive? It might be a hardware issue there.

I did solve the problem. I had to unzip the file on iPad, then move the file it created to my MacBook. From there I moved the contents of that file to a Formatted Fat32 stick. No USB on iPad! The issue seemed to be unzipping in XP, Even though I had done it before. Thanks for advice.

First gig with S16

Finally getting around to posting some pics. First gig with S16s thanks to Joe and John from Behringer. Went off without a hitch and sounded great.
2 delay zones delayed via the console (FOH crossed over and delayed in driverack). Used the PM16. Love em and the direct interface is awesome. Now I dont have to run them analog like i did before the X32 came out!!
Input delay helped sync up the audio of the video to the actual video due to the long component cable run.

Drums, Keys, Sax, Trumpet, Guitar, & 5 man Choir.

Wishing I didnt have to assign channels in blocks of eight though...

IMG_4185.jpgIMG_4162.jpgIMG_4186.jpgIMG_4190.jpgIMG_4191.jpg

Re: Post fader metering

Comments to a few of the previous posts:

Firmware updates/USB sticks
Like others on here, I've also found that a stick that can have a show recorded to it might not be suitable for updating firmware. It took half a dozen sticks and a call to Behringer before I found a dusty old 2GB stick that worked. This stick is now kept to one side and clearly marked "X32 Firmware". A recent venue I attended had the same problem with their installed X32.

Coffee maker
I too think that this is a seriously overlooked issue, although I fear that if this is fixed in a future update, there will be further complaints that the cup holder in the front right corner is neither level nor cup shaped. You can't please some people...

S16
Mine turned up yesterday. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

So far I've done several gigs with my X32 and a 5 way P16 system. I love it and so does the band (they love the monitoring system for their IEMs). The desk sounds nice and smooth (compared to my previous Yamaha ones; even the LS9), everything is in one box (no FOH/recording rack required. Yay!). The onboard USB recorder is great for getting a record of the night (I've even turned up at a venue and on seeing that their X32 didn't have the recorder in use and asking nicely, I gave them one of my sticks and came home with a decent souvenier). The 32 track recording facility is an added bonus. Yes, it's a pain to set up, but once set up, it works. Of course at 35GB per gig, I now need some serious external storage to keep all my gigs, not to mention some extra time to mix them all down after the event. Still, why hire a studio to do a demo? Just record a gig and then come back, fix any major errors and mix down. Job done!
I'm now looking forward to getting my S16s up and working.
This is a serious system. The X32, S16s and P16s are a powerful combination. And coming in at around £4500 (with cases, cables, wireless routers, etc), it's still less than the LS9-16. For a comparable feature set (not identical) you'd be looking at a A&H GLD80. That's over £8k and that's before you look at any Aviom stuff for the personal mixing. I don't know how they've managed to pack all this in at this price, but I'm glad that they have (here's a thought; is the Behringer equipment cheap, or the other stuff overpriced...?).

I'm curious about what else Behringer will be adding to the range next year, but my wallet needs a bit of a breather...!

Karl.

Last edited:

Coffee maker
I too think that this is a seriously overlooked issue, although I fear that if this is fixed in a future update, there will be further complaints that the cup holder in the front right corner is neither level nor cup shaped. You can't please some people...

It works fine with the coffe cup app for the iPhone ;)~;-)~:wink:

X32 Expansion Cards

Dear all,

we are in the process of developing further Expansion Cards for the X32.

Aside from a USB recording card that directly connects with an external HD, we are also considering to offer a Dante networking card.

Can you please share with us what you would be interested in.

Many thanks!

Warm regards (@ 32 degree Celsius in Manila)

Uli