X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

A question for the ones who can confirm; can I do the following:

A behringer X32 at monitors with the stage inputs patched into it's preamps.
A Midas Pro1 At foh connected to the X32 via AES50 and deriving it's inputs from the X32

ALSO, can an S16 stage box work with a Pro 1?

If the above scenarios work, then I can see this range of products absolutely storming that end of the market :)

Cheers

A question for the ones who can confirm; can I do the following:

A behringer X32 at monitors with the stage inputs patched into it's preamps.
A Midas Pro1 At foh connected to the X32 via AES50 and deriving it's inputs from the X32

ALSO, can an S16 stage box work with a Pro 1?

If the above scenarios work, then I can see this range of products absolutely storming that end of the market :)

Cheers

Hi Mark,
the S-16 will work with the Pro 01. But therefore Midas has to do a small firmware update, what I understood. So it will take same time I think. And you have to change the samplerate from 96kHz (Midas) to 48kHz (Behringer) for propper operation.
Sorry about your first question, I don't know it...maybe it works, but you better ask the Midas tecs.
Christian

Hi Mark,
the S-16 will work with the Pro 01. But therefore Midas has to do a small firmware update, what I understood. So it will take same time I think. And you have to change the samplerate from 96kHz (Midas) to 48kHz (Behringer) for propper operation.
Sorry about your first question, I don't know it...maybe it works, but you better ask the Midas tecs.
Christian

Cheers for that Christian. I just got thinking about how tricky/versatile we can get with both the X32 and the Pro1 (of which I'm excitedly ordering both). At that point even our small analogues are quickly disappearing :) Anyone want to buy a Venice?

Cheers for that Christian. I just got thinking about how tricky/versatile we can get with both the X32 and the Pro1 (of which I'm excitedly ordering both). At that point even our small analogues are quickly disappearing :) Anyone want to buy a Venice?

I just came home from a short visit of Behringer in Willlich/Germany. I had a nerv-reacking event to handle on the last weekend. This kind of event is called "Schützenfest" and I can see through the forum, that all German forum members feel with me:) It is a clash of cultures, what makes this kind of events a bit difficult. It is slightly comparable to the idea, letting a band like "rage against the machine" play a gig at a Tea Party movement convention;-) Anyway, the Behringer R&D complaisantly lend me two S-16 stageboxes for these three days (btw. The S-16 are awesome, I switched them on at thursday noon during the setup on switched them off on sunday evening - absolutly flawless in every way) and I just brought them back. So I asked for the Midas/X32 stuff. Fact is: It won't work. By now, the Midas desk have no option to operate with 48kHz, so you can't use the S-16 or the X32 with them. Only the other way round works: Using a Midas stagebox on the X32. Sorry for that.

@Jörgen: You asked about the cable length concerning AES50. Before I drove to Behringer this morning, I did some quick tests with my cables.
First I used this combination:

This is a 50 meter cable drum from Adam Hall (so no high end stuff), between the cable drum and the X32 I placed another 30 meter CAT5 as an extension.
These 80meters worked flawless! The red 30 meter cable is the cheapest crap that I could find on ebay (paid 5,99 Euro for it!).
So I went on and used my 70 meter Thomann cabel drum, used the same 30meter extension and used a ultracheap Cat5 cable connecter for Monacor and hook up another 10 meter cable to the X32.

That made 110 meter in total with two connectors and guess what: I did not work. Every now and then the board lost the sync.

So I replaced the Thomann drum with 50meter Adam Hall drum and I was instantly back on the map.
Than I used two of the crappy 30 meter ebay CAT5 cable and one Monacor connector (60 Meter) in total, that worked also like a charme.

So it seems, that you should not exceed the 100 meter mark. But it is good to see, that X32 and S-16 work fine with not so expensive cabels.
Heard some stories about the A&H iLive demanding quite expensive cabels for working properly. Just saying.

BTW: On my way from my warehouse to Behringer I made a stoppover at my home. Sadly my wife took our combi-van this morning, so I had to go with our convertible.
Good to see, that the X32 with case, two S-16s and a mixerstand fit even in this car:)

Christian

I just came home from a short visit of Behringer in Willlich/Germany. I had a nerv-reacking event to handle on the last weekend. This kind of event is called "Schützenfest" and I can see through the forum, that all German forum members feel with me:)

... snip ...

snip ...

Hi Christian,

Schützenfest ?
Sei meines Mitleides gewiss...

I see you have left some rack space around the stagebox units.
Is this just a precaution or is it recommended because the units are getting warm and need the space for cooling?

cheers
Joachim

Danke Joachim:)
I just had this 6U case, so I think you could go with with a 4U case. The S-16 are getting just a bit more than hand-warm. They have venting slots only on the sides, so I don't see any problem to put them tight.
Christian

Hi Christian,
Regarding the case you are using for the X32, did Behringer provide that? Just wondering, as I think I recall hearing at one point that they intended to sell a road case as an accessory for the console....

next generation software upgrade for the X32 which will include high-end FX “plug-ins” based on physical modeling of classic audio hardware.

Our roadmap includes Neve, SSL, Urei and other well-known products such as the LA-2A compressor, Lexicon reverbs, an SPL De-Esser and the TC Finalizer multiband compressor etc.

We are also working on cutting-edge pitch shifting and pitch correction tools for amazing voice applications.

I laughed the first time I saw the "Game Changer" slogan. I don't think anybody who has seen this thread is laughing anymore.

WOW, good stuff Uli, the de-esser and multiband comp in particular will be tremendous assets. Looking forward to those new plugins. I would also suggest an SPL Transient Designer if not already under consideration.

Another plugin idea - sample replacement plugin - ie load a custom kick drum sample into the console and have a plugin that triggers the sample and allows you to blend with the original signal. If possible using an idea like having a sidechain filter input on it so you could feed a snare track or similar into it to tell the plugin the sounds that should be excluded for better tracking accuracy)

I can see no reason why this console shouldn't totally dominate its intended market. It should really be interesting to see how the other manufacturers respond.

Last edited:

Hi Christian,
Regarding the case you are using for the X32, did Behringer provide that? Just wondering, as I think I recall hearing at one point that they intended to sell a road case as an accessory for the console....

Hi Jeff,

my case is from Thomann--> Thon Case Behringer X-32 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
I orded it in black and with no Thomann badge, which cost about 10% more. It is quite solid, and not that heavy.
An alternative might be this-->
Music Store - Case - Behringer X32 : Mixing consoles & accessories

And I heard too, that Behringer is in deed thinking about to offer an own case for the X32. My guess is, that it will come later this year.

Christian

I laughed the first time I saw the "Game Changer" slogan. I don't think anybody who has seen this thread is laughing anymore.

WOW, good stuff Uli.

I'm with you. Of course these new FX will take some time to design and to code, but it is really amazing, what can be done with the X32 in general. By now, there is a good selection of standard FX onboard and they sound just great! If Uli gives us someday a DeEsser and multiband compressor in addition, than my personal wishlist comes true.
Christian

So you want Steven Slate Trigger built in? The latency is low enough to use external plugins it would seem. There is already some kind of Transient Designer included I believe.

Thankyou for that, pleased to have it clarified. I was pretty sure it would come down to a 96/48k issue.

As for your network length, you may have been on at 110m had you perhaps removed the joiner and not had the cable in a coil (once you go over the maximum length its a combination of factors that result in issues)

Cheers, and thankyou for your continued information and real-world experience with the X32 :)

Hi Christian,

Schützenfest ?
Sei meines Mitleides gewiss...

I see you have left some rack space around the stagebox units.
Is this just a precaution or is it recommended because the units are getting warm and need the space for cooling?

cheers
Joachim

Dear Jeff,

thank you for your comments and kind words.

You will be pleased to hear that there is already a Transient Designer plug-in included in the current software version.

We are more than happy to listen to any suggestions people have for additional plug-ins.

As for your network length, you may have been on at 110m had you perhaps removed the joiner and not had the cable in a coil (once you go over the maximum length its a combination of factors that result in issues)
If I have understood the whole thing correctly, the limit seems to be dependant on the sample rate, giving you a slightly higher limit at 44.1 KHz.

Really?

That's frustrating and I don't understand why they wouldn't want those available from the get go.

Hmmm, this might change some things for me :(

For the majority of us, migrating from analogue stuff, the wait for the stageboxes only means we have to roll out the old multicable a few more times before it's retired..
and we wouldn't want to unwrap all our presents at the same time, would we??
It will be a shame if you have to go with another mixer because of the stageboxes, personally I would rather have it like this than Behringer deciding to only start shipping when the complete lineup is ready.

Last edited:

Really?

That's frustrating and I don't understand why they wouldn't want those available from the get go.

Hmmm, this might change some things for me :(

Hi Jared,

if you roll back in this thread, you can see, that it was from the beginning clearly stated from Behringer, that the S-16 would be the last product to come to complete the "X32-package". I feel your frustration, I would buy two S-16 right away, if they were available. But I also think, that I can wait a couple of weeks longer. On the other hand I can't remeber any digital desk, that came with a PC remote editor and an iPad app right from the start. A friend of mine has got a Soundcraft Vi4 and the iPad app for it (furthermore quite limited functionalwise) took literally years to come. If it takes some time to make the product rock solid, than it is imho worth the wait.
Christian

So you want Steven Slate Trigger built in? The latency is low enough to use external plugins it would seem. There is already some kind of Transient Designer included I believe.

I use SAC or LiveProfessor as VST plugin host ( http://ifoundasound.com ) together with an old Asus Laptop. I run it over the X32 firewire port (64 Samples latency) and add some kick drum samples to the original bass drum. I routed the original bassdrum also through my laptop, to keep it phase coherent. Than I use sometimes a SansAmp VST plugin on bass ( http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68 ) and a Waves DeEsser on the LeadVocal.
Christian