X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Thanks Christian,
I am sure I can rig up Reaper and my MacBook to run Plugins!
Nice to know that we can plan on that as workable.
This really adds to the flexibility and value for those who already have plug in collections that we already know and use.

For the record, Vi owners are STILL waiting for functional iPad app.

Well, at least you can control faders and the GEQ. But that's pretty much all. I'm not into this topic so much, but I heard, that a new Vi firmware is needed, for having more functions in the ViSi App. Anyway, the XRapp (X32 App) will have a lot more to offer, than faders and GEQ and it is free.
Christian

Dear Uli,

Thank you for your participation. I have a small question and or proposition ! I am not very familiar with the digital world of consoles - but it appears to me ( as an electrical eng. ) that it could be very usefull to have a kind to real time analyser like smaart or equivalent integrated in the console. Is this a possibilitie in the future ? is there something the users might want ?

Regards,

Othmane

Something that just crossed my mind, and I have no idea if it is even possible given the console architecture, but why not come up with an SDK that people can use to create their own plug-ins? I would assume you'd have to have a way to isolate the plug-in engine from the rest of the console so that if someone buggered up their code, it doesn't take down the rest of the console, but I can see that really ramping up the availability of plug-ins that are available for use on the console.

Tim,

Have you found anywhere in your area that will be able to demo the console? I'm in Manchester and I so far haven't found any suppliers in the North West.

Kind regards, Andrew
Mama - The UKs 'all era' Genesis tribute band!
Carillon Video - Professional Wedding Videographer & Wedding Video Production Services in Bolton, Manchester & all over the UK

Sorry for the Delay in replying.

Alot of places still seem disinterested, they could preorder one, but couldnt say if they could get a demo unit in.

Production Room on Roseville road in Leeds are supposed to be getting on ie to demo.
Music Studio Equipment, DJ and Pro Audio Equipment, Synthesizers, Keyboards, Recording
might be worth a call, the more people showing interest the better IMO, I just used the contact form on the site and they rand me back within a couple of hours, so Id say customer service is pretty good too.
John Steven form the Music Group was looking into getting one to them for demo asap.

So you want Steven Slate Trigger built in? The latency is low enough to use external plugins it would seem.

Yes, I guess so. I didn't realize the Slate plugin did the sidechain thing I mentioned.

I would prefer something like this be an included plugin rather than hosting it external to the desk. Despite the X32 having excellent low latency drivers, the latency of not just the recording card but also of a sample replacement plugin might not always be ideal.

While I will definitely play around with a VST plugin host setup, I see too much potential for this to cause headaches, I would rather work with things which are integrated into the console whenever possible.

Yes, I guess so. I didn't realize the Slate plugin did the sidechain thing I mentioned.

I would prefer something like this be an included plugin rather than hosting it external to the desk. Despite the X32 having excellent low latency drivers, the latency of not just the recording card but also of a sample replacement plugin might not always be ideal.

While I will definitely play around with a VST plugin host setup, I see too much potential for this to cause headaches, I would rather work with things which are integrated into the console whenever possible.

I totally agree. I have never experimented with external digital processing. Just nice to know its possible through FireWire.

I totally agree. I have never experimented with external digital processing. Just nice to know its possible through FireWire.

It is doable with the X32, but you need/need to know at least three things:

1. A professional tweaked computer with a top notch FiWi interface (with a TI chipset).
2. You should know, what you are doing. Keep in mind, that some plugins (f.e. linear phase eqs and such) have an insane amount of latency. Use a vst host like SAC or LiveProfessor that shows you immediatly, how high the latency of a plug in is. Use only plugins that have no latency or at least very low latency(f.e. the Waves SSL channel has 2 samples, or Drumagog5 in live mode has also just 2 samples).
3. Be aware, when mixing console inputs and cardinputs to maintain phase coherency.

To1. I have some really good tweaked computers that I use in my studio and/or for SAC. I can go down to 48 samples together with the X32 over Firewire. But I just bought an 18" laptop with build in firewire. This thing is so crappy, that the firewire just don't work at all. So I had to buy a FiWi expreasscard with an TI chipset, to make it work. Hopefully it will work...I just ordered the card today. If you want to know, if your computer can handle realtime audio, maybe try the DCP latency checker.
DPC Latency Checker
Results over 300-400 muy-seconds are not so good for real time audio. I'm just saying, that not all computers can handle low latency audio.
Maybe I get a new version of the X32 remote software this week, when I find some time, I could do a little video tutorial, how to use vst plugins with the X32...just in case, someone is interessted in this topic.
Christian

Dear Othmane,

thank you for your question.

We are quite positive to add a very capable FFT spectrum analyzer in our 2.0 software release which will also likely include the Smaart functionality.

Unlike other desks however, it will run on the console's integrated processor and hence won't need an external PC which is a great advantage in live applications.

I am considering the x32 for studio recording, but I have a few questions:
- is it possible to bypass an internal preamp (in the xlr connectors) to use an external dedicated pre?
- in Mackie Controller Universal mode, where are the transport buttons?
- I have read that only the 8 bus faders act as a MCU. Are there plans to allow the x32 to use all its faders to control a daw?
- can the line inputs (aux in) be assigned to channels and faders?

Right now it starts to look like a better deal for me than getting a RME UFX or an UAD APOLLO.

Last edited:

Hi Uli

Thank you not only for the up coming x32 but also sharing on this forum. While my question is not specifically about the x32 it is related to the new system ofdigital desk and stage box. I was wondering if Behringer is thinking of bringing out a wireless IEM system? I think that would be a real seller.
Thanks.

Also a big thank you to Christian for all of his valuable input.

I am considering the x32 for studio recording, but I have a few questions:
- is it possible to bypass an internal preamp (in the xlr connectors) to use an external dedicated pre?
- in Mackie Controller Universal mode, where are the transport buttons?
- I have read that only the 8 bus faders act as a MCU. Are there plans to allow the x32 to use all its faders to control a daw?
- can the line inputs (aux in) be assigned to channels and faders?

Right now it starts to look like a better deal for me than getting a RME UFX or an UAD APOLLO.

Hi Daniel,
you can't bypass the Micpre in the inputs 1-32, but you can hook up external preamps to the Aux inputs (1-6, these are line-inputs with no micpre) with TRS connectors and route this inptus to any of the 32 recording channels.
In MCU mode, press the Matrix 1-6 button (below the Mixbus buttons) and the Mute buttons in the DCA section become your tranport buttons. The scribble strips display the detailed function (play, stop, record and so on)
Due to the fact, that the 32 input channel are devided over two layers, the 8 DCA fader in MCU mode are probably are nearly as fast to handle. Remember you can jump in block of eights to your DAW channels, while the scribble strips on the X32 DCA section will display the names of the associated DAW channels.
can the line inputs (aux in) be assigned to channels and faders?
Yes, you can actually re-route any inputs to any inputs channel to your liking:)
Christian

Hi Uli

Thank you not only for the up coming x32 but also sharing on this forum. While my question is not specifically about the x32 it is related to the new system ofdigital desk and stage box. I was wondering if Behringer is thinking of bringing out a wireless IEM system? I think that would be a real seller.
Thanks.

Also a big thank you to Christian for all of his valuable input.

You are welcome:)
And I'm in concerning a IEM system.
Christian

Dear Othmane,

thank you for your question.

We are quite positive to add a very capable FFT spectrum analyzer in our 2.0 software release which will also likely include the Smaart functionality.

Unlike other desks however, it will run on the console's integrated processor and hence won't need an external PC which is a great advantage in live applications.

This would be awesome Uli. I always liked the GEQ with an Analyser behind it on the Yamaha PM5D, or how it's done in the Roland M-Series. The Analyser displays the feedback frequenzy and you instantly know, which GEQ fader you have to grab. If something similar could be implemented in the X32, this would be a killer feature!
Christian

Hi Daniel,

In MCU mode, press the Matrix 1-6 button (below the Mixbus buttons) and the Mute buttons in the DCA section become your tranport buttons. The scribble strips display the detailed function (play, stop, record and so on)

Christian

Hi Christian,

Just wondering whether with the remote transport controls is there also a display associated with this which shows the transport position - also is there any facility to set position markers using the x32? You may have answered this but is the remote daw control implemented via midi or is there a USB / FI-wi interface for this?

Many thanks

Nick

No markers yet, maybe this can be implemented within the assign buttons. Midi in/out is emedded in the recording signal of the build in recording card.
Christian

Last edited:

Production Room on Roseville road in Leeds are supposed to be getting on ie to demo.
Music Studio Equipment, DJ and Pro Audio Equipment, Synthesizers, Keyboards, Recording
might be worth a call, the more people showing interest the better IMO, I just used the contact form on the site and they rand me back within a couple of hours, so Id say customer service is pretty good too.

Thanks Tim. I've just tried the LiveChat function on their website. They answered, then didn't reply. I've also sent them an email.

I'll report back with findings. :)

Kind regards, Andrew
Mama - The UKs 'all era' Genesis tribute band!
Carillon Video - Professional Wedding Videographer & Wedding Video Production Services in Bolton, Manchester & all over the UK

557672_10151010769283914_716540585_n.jpg

I wonder where these were going ? (I've been told by studiospares they now do not expect stock to arrive until sometime in august!) - the van looks a bit ropey!:D~:-D~:grin: