X32 Discussion

X32 conrolling DMX lights !

Heres a question thats not been asked on here yet ! Can the X32 control lights as well (Well it does everything else !! :lol:)

Well the answer is ............................. yes it can .

Check it out here

X32 User Net • View topic - X32 controlling DMX lights

Now, the questions, can it, and should it, are completely different but I just want to explore the possibilities 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Kev

Re: Dual S16 Stageboxes question

Hello

as I recall my two act the same way. Somehow I think other than 1-16/1-8 in each unit would require patching info from desk to be sent back to S16 and is not supported. Maybe it will come later, since S16 has USB-port.

Re: X32 conrolling DMX lights !

Heres a question thats not been asked on here yet ! Can the X32 control lights as well (Well it does everything else !! :lol:)

Well the answer is ............................. yes it can .

Check it out here

X32 User Net • View topic - X32 controlling DMX lights

Now, the questions, can it, and should it, are completely different but I just want to explore the possibilities 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Kev

Neat one!

However, for those of us that are yet to master the intricasies of programming with OSC (yes, Kev, I'm still struggling to get my finger out and give it a proper go) there is also the option of using the programmable section to send Midi from the rotaries and buttons to control a DMX desk that way.

Re: Change routing without losing gain settings and 48V

In my typical scenario, I might have 60 inputs that will be used at various places in the show, swapping between different configurations and patchings, but troughout the show, each physical input will be connected to the same source and will therefore have the same gain requirement all the time. The input settings from scene 1 that are not being used in scene 2 and 3 but will return for scene 4 shouldn't disappear just because they are not being used, only when they are changed for that physical input.

Thank you Per for pointing out how all these input gains can be used. Now it make sense to have them all saved.

Not having to redo gain and phantom when you make a physical repatch seems to me like one of the unlikely features we could ask for.
Both single channel repatch and 8-channel block routing should have on option to copy gain and phantom or not.

Re: Change routing without losing gain settings and 48V

Both single channel repatch and 8-channel block routing should have on option to copy gain and phantom or not.

Yes, when you put it like that I see how that could actually work and be useful without being a potential pita or disaster waiting to happen.

P16-M - Cannot read the pot & button labels!

I have an x32, and a bunch of P16-Ms that each musician uses. My studio has 'mood' lighting.. IE; it's bloody dark in there... The P16-Ms have like grey text on a black background and if I was playing a daytime outdoor gig they'd be fine.. Problem is I'm not.... and we can't ready the labels on the p16s... Is there a more legible stick on template available? If not - there should be!
Thanks
Pauly

Re: New videos on youtube X32 vs Presonus SL

It's is very obvious that presonus is misleading people with the fake X32 comparison.

John Mills on the PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 vs. the Behringer X32 | PreSonus Blog

Some people are catching up on their lies and posted some comments.

I tried to comment on their other videos but they blocked them.

Shame on you presonus!!!
That is not the first rather obviously biased comparison of the StudioLive and X32 that I've seen come from Presonus. I have no problem with a manufacturer defending their products but my personal feeling is that Presonus has essentially owned a market where products like the X32 and DL1608 are likely to have a major impact and Presonus is doing what they can to try to maintain market share.

That is not the first rather obviously biased comparison of the StudioLive and X32 that I've seen come from Presonus. I have no problem with a manufacturer defending their products but my personal feeling is that Presonus has essentially owned a market where products like the X32 and DL1608 are likely to have a major impact and Presonus is doing what they can to try to maintain market share.

They've also printed a booklet for sales folk to hand out. As a Presonus StudioLive owner and user, I'd much prefer that they simply put that amount of effort and $$$ into software development, particularly getting a stable PC version going. I hate having to own a Mac just to run VSL.

I'd much prefer that they simply put that amount of effort and $$$ into software development, particularly getting a stable PC version going. I hate having to own a Mac just to run VSL.

You do realize that the hardware diversity for PC's is a pro and a con and that much of the stability on the Mac side is from its architecture? I don't care what audio software you are using - the "it just works" quotient will always be greater with Macs. Not that they are perfect - no system is. And I use both platforms extensively for a wide variety of functions. With audio, having good chipsets and drivers is paramount - there's only so much a developer like PreSonus can do. SIIG gets positive reviews for using good chipsets and being responsive in driver issues - some quick googling in the earlier FireWire discussions in this thread showed a ton of commentary about chipsets and drivers with audio - not just on Windows but some Mac models too. Even Apple can screw up. I run into similar issues with video all the time - good video drivers are paramount as well (Nvidia has been a clear winner for some time now). That's why if I have a choice, I spec Mac's. Even if I'm going to run Windows on 'em. My time is valuable and I more than make up the slight up front acquisition cost difference over the long run because I know the Apple hardware will be stable and predictable, and if on the rare occasion I get a lemon (like my late 2008 MacBook Pro that had the bad Nvidia chip) I can get support or return it. I don't have to worry about mid model swap out of some cheaper part so a new purchase of a model that used to work now suddenly doesn't(I'm looking at you Dell, though they are far from alone in this). And I have found my Mac's typically run twice as long as the PC's - unless I'm building the PC myself using parts that end up pushing the price close to what Apple charges anyway. Yup, you can find well built PC's if you look hard enough, but they are the exception rather than the norm since the one mantra you hear over and over is price, price, price so manufacturers respond. Rather than waste my time trying to find reviews that focus on more than price or play the model pot luck lottery I'd rather just spec Apple and worry about more interesting problems than finding stable hardware.

So don't necessarily take it out solely on PreSonus - make sure you have decent chips in your chain along with good drivers - and for the love of god at least be on Windows 7 or 8 with anything newer than three or four years. XP and Vista just need to die. XP in particular has a particularly awful driver model. Vista went a long way to addressing most of the fundimental mistakes (made around NT 4 in the name of performance) but MS really didn't get the new driver model dialed in until Windows 7. And Windows 8 is better still. Thank goodness classic shell.sourceforge.net restores the Win 7 UI to Windows 8. With Vista, the radical architecture change and mid development restart is why the Vista rollout was so painful. Thankfully that's long gone and vendors have caught up. Indeed finding drivers for XP on new hardware is the exception these days.

It's the sum of the parts - and audio with it's low latency demands will expose any weakness in your system VERY quickly. Latency is one of the reasons FireWire - even FW400 v. USB 3 - does much better for audio. FireWire can access memory directly without relying in the CPU. Then again, it was formed by Appe who was end user experience focused and the higher associated chipset costs were justfied in their mind. On the other hand USB was formed by Intel who's vested interest is in justifying more powerful CPUs along with keeping costs down by shifting processing from chipsets to the CPU. These kind of compromises are dictated by the "race to the bottom" mentality that exists on the PC side. The trade off is latency, throughput and increased system overhead (which these days is far less an issue than just a few years ago - CPUs are ridiculously overpowered for the vast majority of people these days, but memory bandwidth hasn't necessarily kept pace which is why this stuff is still significant). You can have flexibility, but you trade predictability and stability for it. TANSTAAFL :)

Re: P16-M - Cannot read the pot & button labels!

I have an x32, and a bunch of P16-Ms that each musician uses. My studio has 'mood' lighting.. IE; it's bloody dark in there... The P16-Ms have like grey text on a black background and if I was playing a daytime outdoor gig they'd be fine.. Problem is I'm not.... and we can't ready the labels on the p16s... Is there a more legible stick on template available? If not - there should be!
Thanks
Pauly

Why is it Behringer's problem that your clients play in the dark?

Eric...

I don't have the time to read or respond to whatever you said in reply to my dislike of Mac. What I dislike is the corporation and its "all for us" get their tendrils into the populace approach. It reeks corporate arrogance. I could care less if "it just works". The inevitable price of putting your eggs in their basket is pretty ugly.

Remember the giant squid tentacle coming down the Nautilus' hatchway in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"?

Eric...

I don't have the time to read or respond to whatever you said in reply to my dislike of Mac. What I dislike is the corporation and its "all for us" get their tendrils into the populace approach. It reeks corporate arrogance. I could care less if "it just works". The inevitable price of putting your eggs in their basket is pretty ugly.

Remember the giant squid tentacle coming down the Nautilus' hatchway in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"?

Can you enlighten us as to what that inevitable price is?

The inconvenience of stability? I personally hate a system that runs fault free... My life is boring post mac...

Stability? Functionality? At what price

Do you know the number of MacBooks with the widely-reported but unfixed "non-responsive keyboard/mousepad" glitch? Apple has not/will not provide a fix for an acknowledged hardware fault. Their answer? "Yeah, we know about that. Buy a new one with the AppleCare ".

The arrogance is iMazing.

Can you enlighten us as to what that inevitable price is?

The "price" of unquestioning acceptance of "questionable ethics, and a history of disdain" (your own words quoted from a comment on B*******) should be obvious.

Every dollar we spend is a vote. I'd prefer my vote go to a more responsive organization with ethics based on more onservice than profit.

The "price" of unquestioning acceptance of "questionable ethics, and a history of disdain" (your own words quoted from a comment on B*******) should be obvious.

Every dollar we spend is a vote. I'd prefer my vote go to a more responsive organization with ethics based on more onservice than profit.

I can't say I agree, people get so up in arms about a big multinational corporation acting like a big multinational corporation. I'm not sure where you got that quote that you are attributing to me as well (I suspect you are confusing me with Mr. Pendleton, in which case I disagree with the entire context of that post as well).

Can't comment on service, as I haven't needed it. I've called more than one PC manufacturer and can't say that I've ever gotten good service.

I'll continue to use Macs (albeit, along side my PCs), as long as they get the job done, both platforms have allowed me to make a profit.

Last edited:

I can't say I agree, people get so up in arms about a big multinational corporation acting like a big multinational corporation. I'm not sure where you got that quote that you are attributing to me as well (I suspect you are confusing me with Mr. Pendleton, in which case I disagree with the entire context of that post as well).

Can't comment on service, as I haven't needed it. I've called more than one PC manufacturer and can't say that I've ever gotten good service.

I'll continue to use Macs (albeit, along side my PCs), as long as they get the job done, both platforms have allowed me to make a profit.

Sorry for the mis-attribution.

How can a Mac get the job done when the keyboard/pad doesn't connect? Why should the end user have to pay for repair of an acknowledged and wide spread design fault? Why should Apple, Inc benefit from access to all the personal information they glean from your use of their product......which reports all use back to the "mothership"? If a governmental agency was collecting info on you the way Apple does, I hope you'd raise a big stink.

I guess my feelings in this area come from a severe disappointment in the economic shift from producing something useful to packaging information for use in marketing crap to the (increasingly) uninformed.

Facebook, anyone?