X32 Discussion

Re: The new XiControl

Extraordinary! The new iPad app ver2.0 is the deal maker, that is by far the best virtual control interface for digital mixers on the market, kudos to the programming and project team that has made this innovation a reality!

I'm really hoping the Midas app gets a facelift soon - it looks decidedly amateur compared to the Behringer app now. :)

Re: The new XiControl

I agree. The new XiControl is amazing. Can't wait to try it out this weekend. Also, I'm looking forward to the new iPhone app.

Last edited:
S16 and P16 issue

Hello,

So last week we got our S16's in and this past Sunday was our first time using the full system. We have found an interesting "problem" in that the P16's connected to the S16 channel assignments are completely different a P16 connected directly to the mixer. This is our first time working with a personal monitor system like this.

The P16 connected to the mixer follows what is programmed in the routing\P16 tab. The P16 connected to the S16 has only 4-5 channels operating and half of them seem like they are combining all instruments into one channel.

This is what is programmed at the mixer:
1 = click
2 = drums
3 = bass
4 = keys
5 = piano
6 = electric guitar 1
7 = electric guitar 2
8 = acoustic guitar 1
9 = acoustic guitar 2
10 = background vocals
11 = vox 1
12 = vox 2
13 = fx
14 = aux l (cd/ipod)
15 = aux r (cd/ipod)
16 = talkback

What is coming through on the P16 on stage is:
1-4 = nothing
5 = aux l
6 = aux r
7 = all instruments and vocals
8-10 = nothing
15 = vocals

Am I missing something somewhere in the setup? How can it be so different? I dont understand how it is getting that mix.

Any thoughts?

Re: S16 and P16 issue

"Any thoughts?"

Are you sure, that you choosed the right "category" in the p16 Tab? Maybe you have dailed in a matrix, or monitor out or "off" unintendedly?
If everything fails, just set up channel 1-16 as direct outs and see if you get them in the right running order on your P16M. See, if that works.

Christian

"Any thoughts?"

Are you sure, that you choosed the right "category" in the p16 Tab? Maybe you have dailed in a matrix, or monitor out or "off" unintendedly?
If everything fails, just set up channel 1-16 as direct outs and see if you get them in the right running order on your P16M. See, if that works.

Christian

I did check that and it works fine for the unit plugged directly into the mixer. All the channels match what is set in the routing tab. It is the unit plugged into the S16 that has a different configuration and I am not sure why.

windows 8 - drivers compatibility

I have a new windows 8 PC - with touchscreen - the xcontrol will work on this fine as does my daw (reaper) however unfortunately the USB drivers software is not compatible with windows 8 yet (fails in install stage saying not compatible) - can I therefore make a request for this to be updated.

Re the xcontrol - with the inevitability of more and more windows 8 machines ( with touch or not )will become available during 2013 it would be great if this interface could be enhanced - e.g. resizing the window / even sections of the the display plus support for pinch and zoom.

However, the most important thing is to update the usb ( haven't tried the firewire one) to support windows 8,

Nick

PS- as suspected the firewire also does not support windows 8

Last edited:

I did check that and it works fine for the unit plugged directly into the mixer. All the channels match what is set in the routing tab. It is the unit plugged into the S16 that has a different configuration and I am not sure why.

Does it do it with several different CAT 5 cables? For the last couple of nights I've been trying to figure out S16 interconnect mysteries. After swapping cables and solving the problem, this

Amazon.com: Greenlee NC-500 NETcat Pro Structured Wiring Troubleshooter: Home Improvement

arrived today, and told me that the cable that wasn't working didn't have a couple of pairs connected.

So all cables with the right connectors aren't equal. Maybe yours is miswired?

Other than that possibility, I have no idea. Good luck.

Strange...do you have a default scene on your X32? Maybe try this, perhaps there is something wrong with your actual scene.

umm I was under the impression that P16 chain need to be connected to the "ULTRANET" port,
while S16's need to be connected to AES50 ports...
I think you can't chain p16's from s16's but maybe i'm wrong.

Actually, the p16 has a seperate ultranet port, it should carry the same channels as the ultranet port on the console. Does changing any of the signals to the inputs or outputs on the s16 from the console change any of the signals to the p16-m?

I wish I had one of those s16's, but they're not available yet from the main distributor here, Starin. Hopefully soon.

Isn't that new XiControl software on the IPad Great! Just wish for some mute groups now and a knee knob on the gate to make it work as an expander...

A wild guess from me here, but is AES50 A output 33-40 routed from Aux1-6/Mon and AES50A output 41-48 routed from Out 9-16 or similar?
That would give results like you describe. P16 out on the S16 isn't necessarily the same as P16 on the console, it depends on the AES50 routing

XiControl Bug & Omissions

The positives of this upgrade continue to be clearer. As Frank said above, 2.0 is really a deal-maker.

However, there is one major problem that I've found: although the compressor gain reduction metering works on the input channel strips and the meter pages, it is not working in the mix bus details, either for mixes 1-whatever or L-R. You can adjust the parameters there and get gain reduction, it just won't show up in the ladder next to the controls on the details pages. Before I upgraded the console to 1.11, it was in 1.09, and the 1st gen meter showed constant max gain reduction even when no reduction was occurring. The mini just showed nothing happening. After the upgrade, both show nothing happening when something is happening.

The new access to the Graphics and FX is great, as is the displayed amount of cut/boost you are doing on a particular slider, but it would be nicer if the frequency were displayed above the gain readout. My fat fingers hide the frequency labels down below the sliders.

Also in the GEQs, it is nice to be able to tap below the slider and see the boost/cut value displayed without inadvertantly affecting that level; it would be nicer to be able to sweep a finger across the spectrum and see the values (and frequencies) of all the sliders change sequentially. Doing that now requires individual taps on frequencies.

Neither a bug nor an omission is the fact that the graphic sliders have narrow widths and are tightly packed. This fat fingered person has an easy time hitting the wrong slider. There is a lot of unused screen width, and using that space to increase the distance between the sliders might solve that problem.

I also find I miss a center detent on the GEQ sliders. It's easy to leave a half a db difference one way or another when fingers leave the slider. As it stands, it will be easier to not use GEQ's and instead go to the expanded parametric page for each output, which is more usable on the iPad than on the console IMHO.

Another omission is the inability to get to the output delays from the iPad, unless I'm missing something. It's a winner to walk around and adjust delays from remote listening locations.

The final omission so far is on the panning; while the graphic is clever, it's easy to not leave it centered when wanting it to be centered, and I can't see any numeric or precise visual indicator on the iPad of pan position. As cool as the graphic is, it's not as precise as a dial with a clear center point.

In the scheme of things, these are minor issues; 2.0 is really wonderful. I even like it that it points out when your software needs an upgrade.

As an aside, are any iPad Retina users able to confirm that the same screen width is covered as on the lower-resolution screens? I was wondering if the higher pixel count somehow translates into smaller percentage of screen coverage. I hope not, but would like to know for sure.

Re: windows 8 - drivers compatibility

I have a new windows 8 PC - with touchscreen - the xcontrol will work on this fine as does my daw (reaper) however unfortunately the USB drivers software is not compatible with windows 8 yet (fails in install stage saying not compatible) - can I therefore make a request for this to be updated.

Re the xcontrol - with the inevitability of more and more windows 8 machines ( with touch or not )will become available during 2013 it would be great if this interface could be enhanced - e.g. resizing the window / even sections of the the display plus support for pinch and zoom.

However, the most important thing is to update the usb ( haven't tried the firewire one) to support windows 8,

Nick

PS- as suspected the firewire also does not support windows 8

Nick I'm also running Win 8 with the X32 and all I had to do is to install the drivers in compatibility mode, both firewire & usb, that worked for me.
Hope this helps for you too....

Andre

Re: windows 8 - drivers compatibility

Nick I'm also running Win 8 with the X32 and all I had to do is to install the drivers in compatibility mode, both firewire & usb, that worked for me.
Hope this helps for you too....

Andre
Probably will - how do I set compatibility mode ? Not fully up to speed with all the windows 8 stuff yet!