X32 Discussion

Re: X32 Core

If I understand you correctly - Yes, fader channel #1 (or any of the others) can be assigned to have its input from the physical aux/trs input.

A fader channel can even be routed to take its input from the busses...

the problem is that the Core lacks any physical aux inputs as does the S16. Which I suspect is the nature of the poster's question.

it looks like to me that The indication on the Core is referencing the Aux Channel and not the Aux inputs. You can, of course, route any input coming from your AES50 to the aux channels.

i also suspect that the from panel USB can play back audio files using the same Aux channel as the big boy X32. So another reason why we would need to access the Aux inputs.

the problem is that the Core lacks any physical aux inputs as does the S16. Which I suspect is the nature of the poster's question.

it looks like to me that The indication on the Core is referencing the Aux Channel and not the Aux inputs. You can, of course, route any input coming from your AES50 to the aux channels.

i also suspect that the from panel USB can play back audio files using the same Aux channel as the big boy X32. So another reason why we would need to access the Aux inputs.

yeah, to me, the only the only downside to the whole "core in the rack, mix with the iPad" idea, is the ability to playback audio (bgm, intros, etc) from the FoH position, if you have no desk+inputs there to use a ipod/laptop/cd player. I'm been experimenting with Airplay over an Airport express, but there is a delay in that that makes it unusable for time-critical playback cues.

I'm keen to see them get MP3 playback sorted on the X32, and a more usable way to navigate and playback files on USB sticks (repeat, play-once, basic playlists, etc), as that would go a long way to addressing this issue. Also, being able to assign the assignable button section to play/pause/record functions would be great too!

yes that makes sense - forgot about usb playback being routed by aux etc. Still the core looks like a reasonabley portable set up in conjunction with s16s & xcontrol on a touch screen (not an iPad user myself) -- though xc needs a few improvements.
As an after thought one could have a third S16 to act as local 'aux' inputs & more flexibility overall instead of getting the rack!

Last edited:
X32 Rack without XUF-card

Hello

I wonder if X32R will be available without XUF-card. Having X32 already I simply do not have any use for second XUF interface. Suppose there might be noticeable difference in price.

Perhaps there will be a combo incentive for purchasing a Core bundled with s16. At the end of the day Core is going to benefit many applications, what matters is the "build to suit" architecture. It will be interesting to see what the market demand for the various models will be. The fun part now is designing what system to build since we have so many ways to do it. To the forum I would ask everyone to share any creative use cases with the group to further the possibilities discussion.

Button Changes

Went to NAMM yesterday. Was nice to see Joe.

One notable difference in the new X32 models are the buttons.

On all of the X32's that I've seen (including the ones at NAMM), the buttons are smooth plastic.

On the new products, the buttons either have a rubber coating, or the button itself is a soft rubber.

Existing

- Very quick to slide your finger (think swipe) across multiple buttons.
- Brightness of the buttons appears differently, depending upon the viewing angle. (They tend to have a hot spot.)

New

- Sliding your finger across multiple buttons isn't practical. Although, I can't think of a time where I've slid my finger across multiple buttons on a regular basis (as part of workflow). Maybe when muting DCA's.
- The buttons are illuminated more evenly.
- The buttons have nice action. Very similar, if not the same, as the original buttons.

Eric H.

Re: Button Changes

Android XControl is coming :D

NAMM 2013 - Behringer X32 - YouTube

Heißt diese variante gibt schon, parallele zu arbeiten wir selbst on noch den android applikation.
Mean those variants (PC/Mac/Linux [XControl]) are now avalible, and parallel we work on the Android application.

EDIT:
I don't like to brag, but Jan mention in this interview about my project SCN to PDF online tool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hqnvjEbO_Lc#t=453s

That's really nice. I never had listen about my work on YouTube.

Last edited:

I usually have my netbook connected to the recording card via USB for recording with Reaper. It also allows me to use the computer to play break music on Aux 1 & 2 via iTunes or Pandora. You can use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes from your iPad. There are also apps that allow you control Reaper and Pandora from your iPad.

Re: X32 Rack without XUF-card

I wonder if X32R will be available without XUF-card. Having X32 already I simply do not have any use for second XUF interface. Suppose there might be noticeable difference in price.

Uli popped in a while back (what, about a month ago now?) and mentioned the possibility of making different options for the card interface, I thought maybe we'd see those introduced with this other stuff at NAMM, but apparently not.

Behringer seems to be breaking molds when it comes to the JV digital market, maybe they can break another one with a new sales tactic once more cards become available for the X32 - Since from what I've seen it is hard to get retailers to sometimes sell multiples of the same product line with different options - Sell the X32 series without cards for the same prices, and then you get your choice of the first card (as a "separate" item on the bill of sale) at no charge (some kind of voucher system perhaps?) Cards after that first vouchered one are then a certain price. (The reason I say this instead of lowering the X32 price and then selling cards for the difference, ex X32 $2799 list and cards $200 list is that having dealt with beuracracy in purchasing for my employer, as much as it costs exactly the same for for methods, its easier to "sell" the full price/free card option than the two items at different prices to the bean counters - In my case I could foresee my employer ending up with just the X32 and no card because its "extra"; but in this way it would mean retailers wouldn't have to stock multiple versions of the X32, just X32's and then a variety of cards). Another possibility would be some kind of trade-in option for XUF cards which were included in X32s sold in the last 30 days or something. (If you're only going to use one card at a time, why be stuck with a card you'll never use if you're just going to replace it as soon as you get it, right?)

That said, I'm still interested in what cards might be available as I'm not sure I'd have much of a direct use for the current XUF card. I'd like to see cards that provide options such as (I'm trying to think of what others would find useful here too, not just myself)
  • A combination of AES/EBU and S/PDIF (both coax and optical) inputs (If something like a CD Player or digital media player has a digital output, at least my preference is to stay digital as long as possible)
  • ADAT connections on the console itself, not just through the S16.
  • A wireless card (this might be harder depending on what "data lines" are available at the card space already) that adds an option for a direct Ad-Hoc connection or Infrastructure.
Obviously these are requests "within reason", I'm sure some things border on infringement into the Midas Pro line so they wouldn't really be offered in a card, just my thoughts.

Re: rack vs core

I don't see the value in the Core over the rack version unless it's for an installation or if it can be used to expand channels on an existing console.

You'd have to buy at least one S16 with the core.

So you'd be talking $899 (S16) + $999 (Core) vs $1499 for the rack.

There are lots of applications where the Core on its own has a value, applications where you already possess the IO you need, but require independent processing. Monitors or backup recording being the obvious ones, but one can think of others. However, if they are both available at the same time at the prices indicated, I'll get the Rack first (except that I'll get both because that suits my particular needs).

A Rack+S16 is one heck of a stagebox, and if you have not already got more S16s than you can use, the Rack makes sense on so many levels. Rack-S16=You are paying $600 for aux IO and a processor, value the aux at $200 and you have the equivalent of the Core sitting there for $400. Even compared to having two S16 in the stagerack, the extra $600 buys you backup even if you are not too keen on ever planning to use XControl or XiControl as your primasy mix option.
I guess I'm more or less saying that the Core will fail if not for any other reason, because it will have to compete with the guaranteed success of the Rack. Making the Core more competitive by adding something useful or lowering the price would sit nice, but there are some areas where the Core really could excel on its own. It would work brilliantly as a personal iem mixer, plug the monitor outs into the iem transmitter and fire up your iPad and you have all the channels with full processing for the price of a set of high-end earbuds. I think the strength of the Core will be the ability to provide independent processing without the bulk associated with the Rack or one of the boards, but maybe it could do with some tweaks to make it uniquely suited to some particular niches.

Maybe a Core and iX16 would be the delta on this, but I just realized iX16 actually has no AES50, scratch that plan.

Last edited:
Video from NAMM 2013

Here is youtube clip of a Behringer staffer at NAMM talking about the expanded family of X32 products.

Some interesting insight into the positioning of the products for different markets. Note the comments (at around 4:30) about upcoming expansion cards, including a Dante interface.

"It would work brilliantly as a personal iem mixer, plug the monitor outs into the iem transmitter and fire up your iPad and you have all the channels with full processing for the price of a set of high-end earbuds"

Thats a great idea Per. Making your very own mix, not only levels and balance, but with all the gating, compression, efx and EQ you want :) I know a few people who would want that!

There are lots of applications where the Core on its own has a value, applications where you already possess the IO you need, but require independent processing. Monitors or backup recording being the obvious ones, but one can think of others. However, if they are both available at the same time at the prices indicated, I'll get the Rack first (except that I'll get both because that suits my particular needs).

A Rack+S16 is one heck of a stagebox, and if you have not already got more S16s than you can use, the Rack makes sense on so many levels. Rack-S16=You are paying $600 for aux IO and a processor, value the aux at $200 and you have the equivalent of the Core sitting there for $400. Even compared to having two S16 in the stagerack, the extra $600 buys you backup even if you are not too keen on ever planning to use XControl or XiControl as your primasy mix option.
I guess I'm more or less saying that the Core will fail if not for any other reason, because it will have to compete with the guaranteed success of the Rack. Making the Core more competitive by adding something useful or lowering the price would sit nice, but there are some areas where the Core really could excel on its own. It would work brilliantly as a personal iem mixer, plug the monitor outs into the iem transmitter and fire up your iPad and you have all the channels with full processing for the price of a set of high-end earbuds. I think the strength of the Core will be the ability to provide independent processing without the bulk associated with the Rack or one of the boards, but maybe it could do with some tweaks to make it uniquely suited to some particular niches.

Behringer, please read my request.

X32Core to become viable:

X32Core + S16 = <$ 1400.00.

Add 8in/8out aids in X32Core (DB25 connectors could be if the problem is much space).

This would increase the chances of having it as input device.

Accordingly, I would buy it first and already enter into the ecosystem X32, but if it does not, by optarei X32Rack or other option on the market.

let's wait.

Hello

But since the Mac supports aggregated devices then you can record 64 channels at once!

A friend of mine told me that they used 35 mics on the drumkit while recording the latest OZ album!

On the PC driver it looks like it can handle multiple connected devices but I don't know yet if it exposes all channels for asio...

But since the Mac supports aggregated devices then you can record 64 channels at once!

A friend of mine told me that they used 35 mics on the drumkit while recording the latest OZ album!

On the PC driver it looks like it can handle multiple connected devices but I don't know yet if it exposes all channels for asio...

Hello

A friend of mine showed me few years ago files he made at Air-studios - he , too used unbelievable amount of microphones for single drumkit. He explained, that there was a reason for all of them - but frankly - it did not sound that special to me - he was thrilled, though

I usually get by with just three mics - for each his own.

I know that on some records there are hundreds of tracks - but still the resulting sound rarely impresses me particularly. For me it seems just that people are carried away with possibility to do so and start adding stuff endlessly. Not my alley. But as i said - to each his own - so one XUF will be enough for me.

Hello

A friend of mine showed me few years ago files he made at Air-studios - he , too used unbelievable amount of microphones for single drumkit. He explained, that there was a reason for all of them - but frankly - it did not sound that special to me - he was thrilled, though

I usually get by with just three mics - for each his own.

I know that on some records there are hundreds of tracks - but still the resulting sound rarely impresses me particularly. For me it seems just that people are carried away with possibility to do so and start adding stuff endlessly. Not my alley. But as i said - to each his own - so one XUF will be enough for me.
Yeah, I know what you mean ;-)

The reason for all those mics was that they prepared for an eventual surround mix of the drums. This was recorded by one of Finlands best surround recording engineers.