X32 Discussion

Re: Pre/post fader meters

Well I finally got my X32 in today and still have the same question: is it possible to have the meters show post fader levels? I couldn't find anything anywhere, but the block diagram in the manual looks like it indicates that post fader metering is possible. The only place I can see post fader metering mentioned is in the OSC manual.

If worse comes to worse I guess I have to write my own metering app and keep a computer next to the X32.

Thanks,

John S.
For channel post fader metering isn't it in the solo options - though if you mean changing the channel strip meters to post fader don't think this is possible or usual! Suppose you could request for V2 another meters page to show this

Why do you need post fader metering? I don't really see a use for it in live sound applications.

On my old Yamaha desk I used it all the time. When you are in a not so great venue it`s nice to actually see your levels while listening. The balance you hear at weird FOH locations is not always the same as what people around you are hearing.

Re: P16-M - Cannot read the pot & button labels!

G'day Chris,
Thanks for that - It seems I have an early version of the P16s that has smaller and less obvious fonts than the later ones. I solved my problem by using a label machine and sticking my own labels on it.. ugly as sin but effective.

Thanks again for the suggestion
Pauly

What about a battery powered LED booklight? I don't know how you're mounting/placing your P-16's, but there's a wide variety of clip options - some that just slide over a thinner object (might work to slide right onto the P-16MB or some other type of music stand style holder), others have bigger clips to clip onto thicker objects. Another way might be to take one of the flatter "slide" clips and velcro to the bottom of the P-16?

Re: S16 Output Question

Hi All,
I don't have an S16 with me at home to test right now, so I'm hoping someone can answer my question.
Do the analog output delay settings apply just to the analog outs on the console? Or does that setting get applied to the S16 analog outs when you use those as well?
It looks like it does, but all it says on the AES50 routing page is "Out 1-8", etc.
Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

In short, yes, the delay is also applied to the S16 outs-

For example, when signal is sent to mixbus 1 whose destination is the X32 analog output 1, and a delay is set on output 1, and set AES50 A (which is connected to the S16) to Out 1-8 , the S16 analog out 1 also receives the delayed signal.

Kind Regards,
Fiona Hammond
CARE EMEA
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

On my old Yamaha desk I used it all the time. When you are in a not so great venue it`s nice to actually see your levels while listening. The balance you hear at weird FOH locations is not always the same as what people around you are hearing.

I did also use it on the dm1000 meterbridge. It was for me more to quickly see which singers are to loud or to quiet. (Larger groups unexperienced singers) Last weekend I did solve this by having the fader at the same position and adjusting the gain level. This was not possible on the dm1000 because of the analog gain. (Programmed show)

Would be nice if you can adjust it...

P16 Label Template

Hi,

I have a Microsoft Publisher 2003 file for P16-M labels.

The spacing isn't perfect, but it's very close.

If anyone would like it, send me a PM with your e-mail address. (I can't attach a PUB file to the thread.)

Eric H.

Last edited:
Re: P16 Label Template

Hi Guys:
I've been following this thread for some time, and finally have had the chance to get my hands on an X32 (although I haven't used it in anger yet!). I'm considering replacing a dying analog desk at my house gig with one in the short term, as it seems to have all the features I need & would like, for not too much $$ (and rider acceptance isn't an issue). The one sticking point though, is as follows: We currently are running an Aviom system, with the analog AN-16i input module. In order to get the additional analog outputs from the X32 I'd need, it looks like my only option is to buy 2x S16 and use the o/p's on those boxes. Is anyone aware of an AES50 compatible 16ch output box, or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

(PS-apologies if this has been covered already... but my eyes started to glaze over after the first 200 pages<grin>)

Hi Guys:
I've been following this thread for some time, and finally have had the chance to get my hands on an X32 (although I haven't used it in anger yet!). I'm considering replacing a dying analog desk at my house gig with one in the short term, as it seems to have all the features I need & would like, for not too much $$ (and rider acceptance isn't an issue). The one sticking point though, is as follows: We currently are running an Aviom system, with the analog AN-16i input module. In order to get the additional analog outputs from the X32 I'd need, it looks like my only option is to buy 2x S16 and use the o/p's on those boxes. Is anyone aware of an AES50 compatible 16ch output box, or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

(PS-apologies if this has been covered already... but my eyes started to glaze over after the first 200 pages<grin>)

My church just sold our aviom stuff and went to the p16s. Their much nicer and you should be able to make enough off the avioms to pay for the new p16's. we sold a sound raft gb2 with a 8 mixer aviom system for the price of a new x32 and 8 personal mixers. The whole system is awesome and we absolutely love it!

Hi Guys:

Thanks in advance,
Colin

A couple ideas:

--I'm assuming that you're currently using a copper snake and that you wouldn't otherwise purchase S-16's at all. Are you sure that you couldn't feed your AN-16I from FOH off the X32? Keep in mind that in addition to the 16 XLR's that there's 6 more channels on TRS and 2 more on AES/EBU, so you can feed all 16 inputs on your Aviom box and have 8 channels left over for normal FOH needs. I'm guessing that if you're using the Aviom mixers that your other monitoring needs are small or nil.

--Or, what I would do: sell the Aviom gear while it will still fetch a decent price. With a lot more competition coming out in PMM's, their resale value may start to decline, soon. Figuring that you have A-16II's, you should be able to net around $300 after fees and shipping selling them on ebay; so you should be able to sell all your Aviom gear, buy P-16's to replace it, and come out several hundred dollars ahead. I haven't used the P-16, yet, but reports from the field are really good; they seem to be really well built, and the feature set is a bit greater than the A-16II.

Re: IQ speakers

Has anyone heard how the iQ speakers will interface with the ultra net protocol? I'm wondering if we will lose channels on the p16's or if ultranet will carry more than 16 channels. These speakers look very appealing to me.

On face value, Ultranet can only carry 16 channels. However, only 40 of the 48 channels going into the S-16 are used, even when all the ports are maxed out (8 XLR, 16 ADAT, and 16 Ultranet). Maybe they intend to turn Ultranet into 24 channel bus.

Assuming that they don't, I guess that means that for every channel used to feed an iQ speaker that one less channel is available for mixing on P-16 (unless you wanted to add some mains or delayed sidefill to your IEM mix). Yet another reason for running multiple Ultranet networks...

Re: IQ speakers an ultranet

Ultranet = 2 x balanced ADAT + power

It's good but basic. It will always be limited to 16 CH (2 x 8 channel ADAT).

It's unidirectional. Whilst ADAT has a control channel I don't believe it is implemented by Behringer in Ultranet.

Notice that the ultranet equipped speakers use USB for control/setup. No control is possible over ultranet.As currently implemented the ultranet speakers can select one channel out of the 16 available on the ultranet.

For monitor use You are going to want to use a mix bus on the x32 to create the monitor mix and then use the routing screen to route to the p16 bus.

I hope this helps.

Re: IQ speakers an ultranet

Ultranet = 2 x balanced ADAT + power

It's good but basic. It will always be limited to 16 CH (2 x 8 channel ADAT).

It's unidirectional. Whilst ADAT has a control channel I don't believe it is implemented by Behringer in Ultranet.

I wonder why they didn't give the iQ speakers AES50, instead. It offers a lot more flexibility and the i/o is right there on the S16. Surely cost must be a factor to some extent, but I don't imagine that the cost difference is very much, though of course with margins what they are every penny counts. Were they concerned about the added routing complications?

Hi Guys:

Thanks in advance,
Colin

We have the same Aviom system and we use the parallel outputs on the A16 to feed the X32 for most of the instruments. We grouped the drums and some vocals and used a group output to send to one channel each of the A16. By feeding the Aviom first and then using the parallel out to feed the X32 it helped us maintain more constant levels to the Aviom. We had issues with this in the past that were annoying as you could never get a good consistent level in your Aviom mix. Since using this new method we have very little problems and the signal level to the X32 is still great.

Kevin,

I've already addressed this concern in the thread for the IQ speakers, elsewhere in the JV forum (is the X32 thread really the place for this?).
I use my X32 with a 16 channel Ultranet monitor feed for my 5 x P16s.
I don't have any channels spare to lose in order to feed a speaker system.
It would have made sense to use AES50. The routing options from the desk/S16 are infinately more varied and controllable (you could use delay, etc).
The one thing that had caught my eye (digital connection), is now looking as my reason to not buy them.
Even with my full X32/S16/P16 system, there seems to be no practical way to implement a digital hookup to the speakers.
And RJ45 connectors instead of Ethercon? Who slept through that meeting?

Short of these speakers coming in at <£500 each and sounding amazing, I'll be looking at a Yamaha DSR system in the near future.

Close, but no cigar.

Karl.

P.S. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, as I'm only basing my opinion on the what has been presented so far.

Kevin,

I've already addressed this concern in the thread for the IQ speakers, elsewhere in the JV forum (is the X32 thread really the place for this?).
I use my X32 with a 16 channel Ultranet monitor feed for my 5 x P16s.
I don't have any channels spare to lose in order to feed a speaker system.
It would have made sense to use AES50. The routing options from the desk/S16 are infinately more varied and controllable (you could use delay, etc).
The one thing that had caught my eye (digital connection), is now looking as my reason to not buy them.
Even with my full X32/S16/P16 system, there seems to be no practical way to implement a digital hookup to the speakers.
And RJ45 connectors instead of Ethercon? Who slept through that meeting?

Short of these speakers coming in at <£500 each and sounding amazing, I'll be looking at a Yamaha DSR system in the near future.

Close, but no cigar.

Karl.

P.S. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, as I'm only basing my opinion on the what has been presented so far.

The way I suggested it in the iq thread was to use a p16i slaved of the adats on the back of the s16 (mirroring the analogue outs on the front) this then creates an all digital second ultranet for the speakers run from the bus outs on the desk

Daniel, you have a good point (sorry for ignoring it in the other thread).
I must read up about how to send the bus outputs to the ADAT interface.
However, in order to use this, I'll still need to shell out for a P16i.
That's another £250 on top of the cost of the speakers.
Not as good as an 'out of the box' solution, is it?
Then there's the RJ45s.....

I too quite like meters post fade for SOME shows. In musical theatre It's nice to be able to see which live open mic is the one you can hear - with the usual pre fade meters, you see all the sources - many of which could be offstage, and have been muted or have faders down. For bands, I'd prefer to see what's coming in!