X32 Discussion

Re: P16-m and remote power

I got tired of using the original power supply for my single/dual p16-m setup so I did some investigation and tried my findings.

I used the original power supply and a PoE adaptor.Seems to work great. No smoke in the first hour at least :)

Try it at your own risk!

what at make and model are you using?
Don't worry- this should be no problem

What is your "Dual" P-16m setup? I hacked a wood/metal bracket together to hold (2) p-16m's and a little 5 channel mixer to combine the two personal mixers and get 32 channels available for each player now. It's more time/hassle to hookup, but I think it's worth it. One P-16m sources from the regular ultranet controlled from the console, the other sources from the first 16 channels of an S-16 running in split mode. Both gigs I've done with this new setup, the musicians say they really love the extra control, and I've had some tell me it's the best they ever heard so far, even compared to monitor mixes driven from an SD8 . I'll post photos soon

I got tired of using the original power supply for my single/dual p16-m setup so I did some investigation and tried my findings.

I used the original power supply and a PoE adaptor.Seems to work great. No smoke in the first hour at least :)

Try it at your own risk!

Re: DAW playback during production

You can reassign individual channels. The blocks of 8 are just a quick way to change large numbers of channels. select the individual channel you want to reassign and page through the menus to find the patch options. I have one of my boards with channel numbers all over the place in order to group certain inputs next to each other. I'm off today so I don't have a board handy to give you more specifics.

What your are referring to is the Config tab on the config/preamp view (or home page). The problem is unless you first patch a source to those inputs on the routing home page you can't see them in that config list. And except for the auxes they have to be patched 8 at a time. Again that doesn't get me around having to waste 8 inputs on my board.

Re: Bus/monitor volume

That would be counter-intuitive to monitoring, I think, because moving the fader for the main mix would also influence the volume of the monitor mix.

Furthermore: Isn't it possible to send a subgroup to a (monitor) mixbus?

I think you need to clarify your question. You ask how to make the bus fader control monitor level and then claim that having the bus fader control monitor level is counter intuitive.

You can't send a subgroup, as in a bus, to another bus. You can however send to matrix.

What your are referring to is the Config tab on the config/preamp view (or home page). The problem is unless you first patch a source to those inputs on the routing home page you can't see them in that config list. And except for the auxes they have to be patched 8 at a time. Again that doesn't get me around having to waste 8 inputs on my board.

This is a hardware limitation and cannot be altered. It has been discussed several times in this thread. If it's a deal breaker you bought the wrong product. Sorry...

The way I understood the answer was that I should set the tap for the bus "post fader" which means that if I lower the sources fader, the monitor bus will get a lower signal also and THAT would be counterintuitive.

On the (cheaper) analog consoles I had in the past (an older Allen & Heath, Behringer 1604, Phonic Helixboard) I controlled the "mix" for the monitor using the channels' aux send knobs and the overall volume using the auxes "main" send knob.

My subgroups are set up to be post fader and their source channels not to send to LR.
If I select a source channel to send to my monitor bus, I set the volume using the source channel's fader and after deselecting "Send on Fader" I should be able to control the monitor channel's overall volume by moving the monitor bus fader but the volume stays the same.

So I must be setting this up in a wrong way.
I have attached a PDF with all my routing settings, maybe this helps.

Thank you very much!

I think you need to clarify your question. You ask how to make the bus fader control monitor level and then claim that having the bus fader control monitor level is counter intuitive.

You can't send a subgroup, as in a bus, to another bus. You can however send to matrix.

Attachments

• Routing_SM.pdf
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

The way I understood the answer was that I should set the tap for the bus "post fader" which means that if I lower the sources fader, the monitor bus will get a lower signal also and THAT would be counterintuitive.

OK, what he meant was to set the source for the monitor output to post fade on the bus in Routing -- analog out tab,
(or in the case of monitoring with the Monitor out, to set MixBus Solo AFL in the Monitor -- monitor tab)

Hi thorsten,

You have to distinguish between the configuration of the bus sind mode, done via the bus's home page and the how the bus mains is send to the output, done via routing page.

The first will determine how the signals of the input channels will be send to the bus, pre or post fader and so on. This is what you know from the analog desks. Here you should choose pre fader or pre eq for monitor purpose.

when you assign the output of the bus to a physical output, lets say mixbus 1 should leave the desk via local output 1, the you have to do this configuration at the routing page, outputs. There you can not only assign for each physical output the source, in our example mixbus 1, but also the tappoint of the signal. This is a little bit different to most analog desks as ananlog desks usually are always configured to post aux master. Here you have to choose post fader so that you can control the output level with the bus master fader.

you can see this configuration if you initialize the scene to the defaults.

This looks nice!

Can you please tell us the product number or a link?
I couldn't find anything resembling the picture on the KMETECH site.
I got it from here

Simple Passive Poe Injector Spliter Wall Mount for Mikrotik Tranzeo Openmesh | eBay

I got a version with included cables but I can't find it in that store anymore. The p16-m power supply connects directly to the module and I got a nice short (10cm) ethernet cable as well.

Robert,
Does it pass audio? It is possible to have lights on and no audio. Why not just buy the P16D?
Sorry, couldn't play the audio in the picture ;-)

Yes, of course it passes audio as well. I'm not that kind of a joker...

Sometimes I don't have the need to bring loads of equipment (only using only one or two p16-m) and having that power supply on stage with the p16-m on the mic stand isn't that great. Using the p16-d it's another rack case with additional cables. This way it lives in the doghouse or in my x32-rack/s16 case taking no extra space.

What is your "Dual" P-16m setup? I hacked a wood/metal bracket together to hold (2) p-16m's and a little 5 channel mixer to combine the two personal mixers and get 32 channels available for each player now. It's more time/hassle to hookup, but I think it's worth it. One P-16m sources from the regular ultranet controlled from the console, the other sources from the first 16 channels of an S-16 running in split mode. Both gigs I've done with this new setup, the musicians say they really love the extra control, and I've had some tell me it's the best they ever heard so far, even compared to monitor mixes driven from an SD8 . I'll post photos soon
Cool! I've been thinking the same but so far 16 channels is all that I need.

In my case the s16 supplies one p16-m and the x32-bigboy/rack the other one. Just for the very small setups. Otherwise the p16-d is the way to go. The supplied power is not suited for stage use so therefor I wanted what I eventually did.

Actually, you can map any channel to any input like you just said.

No, actually, you can't. What I am talking about is this. X32 + S16 stage left + S16 stage right. What if I want to channel 1 of S16 stage left to be CH1 on the X32 and and channel 3 of S16 stage right to be CH2? You can't do that. I CAN do that on other consoles. I have a church with 6 floor pockets. Each floor pocket has three XLR inputs. I cannot wire them "1 to 1" because of the odd number. So the church ends up using the S16s like a patchbay.

No, actually, you can't. What I am talking about is this. X32 + S16 stage left + S16 stage right. What if I want to channel 1 of S16 stage left to be CH1 on the X32 and and channel 3 of S16 stage right to be CH2? You can't do that. I CAN do that on other consoles. I have a church with 6 floor pockets. Each floor pocket has three XLR inputs. I cannot wire them "1 to 1" because of the odd number. So the church ends up using the S16s like a patchbay.
Yes, you can do that. Unless there is something else in the setup that you didn't mention.

Also, I'd hesitate to call this a 1:1 mapping... Or did I missunderstod what you meant with 1 to 1?

Last edited:

Yes, you can do that. Unless there is something else in the setup that you didn't mention.

Also, I'd hesitate to call this a 1:1 mapping... Or did I missunderstod what you meant with 1 to 1?

Unless something has changed recently, the AES50 input sources are selectable in groups, not individual channels. So, no I cannot do this.

"1 to 1" means stage input 1 to console channel 1. I cannot do that in this as I should for this customer because the channel inputs are grouped on AES50 inputs. Because this church has three inputs per pocket, and the pockets are laid out the way they are, the church has to use the S16s as a patchbay, changing the order of the stage inputs so when the first 1-8 channels of S16 #1 are sourced, there are no open/wasted inputs.

Last edited:

Dear All,
As mentioned above, you can freely assign input sources and mix buses to any channel by viewing the "config" page of the channel strip. Use the "source" menu box to select the desired source for that channel. Your options in this menu are directly dependent upon the 5 banks of inputs selected on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu. So for example, if you have inputs 1-8 set to "Local 1-8" and inputs 9-16 set to "AES50 1-8", then the first 16 selectable sources would be local inputs 1-8 and S16 inputs 1-8.

In the example mentioned above, if you need to use 28 local preamps and 4 S16 preamps, this can be done. Use the first 4 inputs on the S16 so that they appear at AES50 channels 1-4 and on the "Aux In Remap" column of the home page of the ROUTING menu select AES50 1-4. Now all 32 local preamps and the first 4 S16 preamps will be available as selectable sources for any channel.

Last edited:

yeah, i'd like to see that too. the 16 channel limit is always an issue. i've wanted at least 24 channels for personal monitor mixing since the first day i used an aviom system.

Dear All,
As mentioned above, you can freely assign input sources and mix buses to any channel by viewing the "config" page of the channel strip. Use the "source" menu box to select the desired source for that channel. Your options in this menu are directly dependent upon the 5 banks of inputs selected on the "home" screen of the ROUTING menu. So for example, if you have inputs 1-8 set to "Local 1-8" and inputs 9-16 set to "AES50 1-8", then the first 16 selectable sources would be local inputs 1-8 and S16 inputs 1-8.

In the example mentioned above, if you need to use 28 local preamps and 4 S16 preamps, this can be done. Use the first 4 inputs on the S16 so that they appear at AES50 channels 1-4 and on the "Aux In Remap" column of the home page of the ROUTING menu select AES50 1-4. Now all 32 local preamps and the first 4 S16 preamps will be available as selectable sources for any channel.

Precisely. Inputs are not selectable on an individual basis. They are selectable from groups.

Precisely. Inputs are not selectable on an individual basis. They are selectable from groups.

Yes they are bock selected for a fastest up, but when you select a channel and move to the configure tab the source for any channel available should show there. AES50 and all

Master Monitor Volume

Thorsten,

I apologize, I didn't explain that very well. As Per mentioned, I was talking about the tap selection in the Routing page for your analog outs. For each source channel you would of course want pre-fade sends to the bus, but post fader (of the bus) to act as a master volume control.