X32 Discussion

re: X32 Discussion

Another gig update:)

Sometimes it's wise not to pick up the phone.
"You like to mix a 700pax sold out benefit performance? It's gonna be be fun"... they said...

Here is the deal:

+ Three Bands
+ two presenters
+ interviews between the change over
+ a shxtload of advertising jingles to cope with
+ one casting show celebrity act
+ one bad Elvis mimic

The facts:
+ 44 inputs in total
+ RF nightmare (11 wireless systems in total)
+ 8 monitormixes from FoH
+ one of the worst room acoustics I ever faced in the last twenty years

Lots of mixing scenes, lots of recall and routings safes, six hours of set up&soundcheck and everyone around me in panic mode!
All bands are experienced, nevertheless they are local amateurs. So, first challenge was to made it on time through the soundchecks.
The celebrity act was Thomas Godoj. Echo award winner and winner of a casting show compareable to PopIdol. Al least he sold more than one million records...two years later
he was my "customer" for that night. Funny thing is, that his 2010 tour went with a Midas Pro06. Click the question mark-->

?

This time it was a X32:)
All prejudices about casting shows besides, it turned out that Thomas is a very kind and down to earth guy, who can actually sing very well. So setting up sound for him was easy. Quick and professional work.
Well, than came the local bands... I don't want to comment that any further. You know the deal, just one example: One keyboarder with ten sounds and eleven different sound levels! Oh boy, what a fun to set up monitors. I compressed the hell out of the keyboards, just for the sake of having a halfway constand monitor level.

After two hours of setup the system and four hours of soundchecks, I finally found the time to fetch me a coke, meanwhile the presenters were insistently talking to me, when to play what soundfile/jingle.
First band was an almost acoustic band, easy going for me. The second band came with an own soundguy, who never worked with a digital console before. So I made it through the first two songs and than he took over the X32, mainly rising faders and doing some EQing. Third band was actually quite good and the celebrity performed one song with this band and did another two songs just with a acoustic guitar. He rocked these house - no doubt about it.
After six hours of showtime I finally made it through the event.

This was the first time for me, intensively using scenes, recall safes of channels and parameter and re-routing of the console. Worked perfect to me, in addition the crew on stage did an awesome job. All floor wedegs had to be repached for each band and some XLR lines as well, because I had only two S-16 with me.

Now I'm going to play with 1.09 and the new remote software version.

Have a great sunday!

Christian

Here are some blurry pics from my mobil phone:

Firmware Revisions

Dear all,

allow me to comment on our firmware policy.

While I appreciate that some of you "found" the new 1.09 release on our server, we do not recommend using it until it is officially announced. Here is the reason:

While every firmware revision we publish is fully tested and functional, it can potentially pose some changes to the current workflows you are familiar with.

We believe you should be fully aware of all changes prior to upgrading to console and going "live". Also many changes go hand in hand with our remote control software and hence require upgrades both on the X32 as well as the remote software. Please always check our X32 product page, as all firmware updates are fully documented in the available log files.

I am very proud to announce that to date we have not been made aware of any "freezing" X32’s, and that speaks for the extremely thorough testing we have performed prior to the release of the console. Yes, it has taken longer than we thought, but I am glad we took the extra time.

As we have worked through most of the bug fixes, we are now focusing on additional features both for the X32 as well as the remote controls.

1.09 respectively 1.10 will offer more FX "plug ins" such as a De-Esser etc. and many other cool features. In fact we're already working on the major Generation 2 upgrade which will take the X32 to another complete new level. This however will take some time and we plan to release it sometime in 2013.

I understand that you are all excited about new upgrades, and indeed this is the fun part as the X32 is a "living" console. However we kindly ask you to make sure you first get familiar with the upgrades before going “live”.

Allow me to use this opportunity to thank all of you for the amazing feedback we have received. With over 20,000 sold consoles, the X32 is also a "Game Changer" for us as a Company and our employees.

Warm regards

Uli

P.S. Here are great videos we found on YouTube. Ken Brown is using the X32 in a large House of Worship and he is enjoying great success. Thanks Ken for all your support!

Behringer X32 Live At Church - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTjbj3qiZVc&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited:

@Joe Sanborn , thanks for your comments regarding the USB issues. In my circumstance it was 100% user issue having not read that section of the manual and the show I was recording was 3hour + starting recording early !

However , I do think that some improvements in the firmware should be considered. When the file being written reaches the 2Gb limit is should either stop recording (and not just abandon the recording like my one did) and indicate this to the user thru the GUI or close the recording file at 2Gb and start a new one automatically.

I have recorded at least 30 test sessions on the stick I used on the night and they all worked flawlessly, so there is no issue with the model of USB stick however I didnt try a three hour long test.

Thanks
Kev

Version 1.09 of the firmware has intorduced a change to the USB recording :

"- recoder automatically restarts with new file when size limit (2GB) is exceeded"

:D~:-D~:grin: Thank you Behringer, Im getting more and more impressed by the day.8)~:cool:~:cool:

I have a big gig coming up next week with at least 10 bands and the organisers are insisting I use my analogue desk (Macke Sr24-4), I think the X32 will be far better so Ive organised a visit with them to put it thru its paces and hopefully change there minds.

Kev

Further update.
Found cause of problem with the Mtx-Main layer. The "C" & "LR" busses are reversed. If I go offline I can fix the a;;ovation, but when I go back online it reverts the scribble script names, colours and icons. Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Paul

Hi. That particular screen seems to be completely screwed up. Test this for me please.... enable muting them mute the LR. Does the 'muted light' light up? Can you then unmute again? Do the faders also freeze on that page?

Remember that it's way easier to modify the PC app than it is to do the work to modify the X32 firmware. If you make a change on the PC app and it has unintended consequences that lock up the app well - just release a new one. You'd want to to a whole lot more quality assurance testing with any firmware update. Any error introduced into the firmware could lead to very unhappy product owners. I would expect a few people have to check and sign off any changes to firmware before release.

Both applications should have the same change control and development style.

Because the XControl app can modify settings on the X32 in real-time, that can lead to problems, just as a firmware problem can.

For example, there was a problem with the last version of XControl (I haven't checked this version):

- On the X32, set Panning Mode to "LR+Mono (default)".
- Start XControl, connect, and do a Sync from Console -> PC.
- Go to the Global Page on XControl.
- The X32 Panning Mode will be changed to "LCR enable". (The Panning Mode is not being correctly sync'd, and its default in XControl is "LCR enable," which is passed back to the X32 when you go to that page.)

(Forgive me if I'm wrong in the test order... It was weeks ago that I found this problem. I was going to mention it, but it slipped my mind. There has been a couple of firmware updates since then, too.)

Do that during a live show, and that has unintended consequences that aren't good.

Who knows, this problem could be a firmware problem, not an XControl problem.

Bottom line, when we have two pieces of software interacting with each other, they need to be fully tested together, with every iteration of release. They aren’t islands unto themselves.

Eric H.

(Update: I ran through this procedure tonight, and could not duplicate the results. Firmware was 1.08, and XControl was .51.)

Last edited:

Hi all, i'm new to this forum, but i already started reading this thread from the beginning because i ordered an X32 last year february. I got mine on august the 22. And so far i'm really impressed with the sound quality. And it so easy to understand and work with (even i was only used to work with analogue desks for many years). So it was worth the waiting. Right now i have one question so far in all the pictures i see that in the tft screens it says UXF with a green light in mine i see only UF with a green light is this normal or is something wrong? As far i can see the UXF card works fine but i'm learning in on using a DAW. Maybe someone has an answer?

Thx in advance.

Gerhard

Last edited:

Would someone with an X32 please do me a favor and test this behavior?

If you have a bunch of scenes on the console and you are hitting the go button to step thru them. And then while in the middle of the list you go to save some changes you just made in the recalled scene. Is the console actually saving to the scene you just recalled with the go button or are is it actually saving it to the next scene?

I am trying to compare the Xcontrol off line software to the actual console behavior. I don’t have an X32 just the Xcontrol software.

If you need me to write up how to do this test step by step let me know and I will.

Thank you.

If you have a bunch of scenes on the console and you are hitting the go button to step thru them. And then while in the middle of the list you go to save some changes you just made in the recalled scene. Is the console actually saving to the scene you just recalled with the go button or are is it actually saving it to the next scene?

I am trying to compare the Xcontrol off line software to the actual console behavior. I don’t have an X32 just the Xcontrol software.

If you need me to write up how to do this test step by step let me know and I will.

Thank you.

I believe it doesn't save any changes you make (correct me if I am wrong). The only way you can save changes is if you either save it as a new scene or save it on top of a different scene (therefore overwriting it). When you press the "Go" button all it does it loads up the settings from the next scene, it doesn't save the changes from whatever scene you were on before.

But....it does save changes to an extent. If you load up a scene, then make changes to it, the boards saves your changes in memory I believe every 2 minutes (from what another user on this forum mentioned) so that if the console is turned off it remembers where you left off when you go to turn it back on again.

Hopefully this answers your question.

I believe it doesn't save any changes you make (correct me if I am wrong). The only way you can save changes is if you either save it as a new scene or save it on top of a different scene (therefore overwriting it). When you press the "Go" button all it does it loads up the settings from the next scene, it doesn't save the changes from whatever scene you were on before.

But....it does save changes to an extent. If you load up a scene, then make changes to it, the boards saves your changes in memory I believe every 2 minutes (from what another user on this forum mentioned) so that if the console is turned off it remembers where you left off when you go to turn it back on again.

Hopefully this answers your question.

I am sorry if I wasn’t clear but I am talking about the sequence that I mentioned and saving a scene and in this case that involves over writing the scene. The problem is (at least in the Xcontrol software) that you are not in the scene you think you are. When you go to over write it you are in the next scene.

Thank you.

Good question, I didn't really think of that, but yes ( to what I think you're asking), you have to move to the scene where you want to save, not like the light desks I've encountered where you automatically move to the next scene number.
When setting up a show you want it to move, when you are fine tuning you don't want it to move, ideally there should maybe be a setup option (Edit:there is) (move to next scene number after save). Writing this from memory, but I would say they are fairly similar.
I hate the confirmation thing by the way, on the console you confirm with the right arrow (or was it left) it is a pita that I'm really happy that can be turned off.

The problem is (at least in the Xcontrol software) that you are not in the scene you think you are. When you go to over write it you are in the next scene.

Ehh???????

Oh yeah :blush:, you can actually select if you stay in scene or move to next in global setup.
I'm blind, my memory is faltering and my hearing is shot :roll:

Last edited:

Hello all, I received my board about 2 weeks ago. All is well so far, what is everyone using in respect to registration? No registration card was included, and many other users are having problems registering online. An help or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello all, I received my board about 2 weeks ago. All is well so far, what is everyone using in respect to registration? No registration card was included, and many other users are having problems registering online. An help or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BEHRINGER: Product Registration

Haven't actually tried it, but earlier posts about registration referred to the fact that the X32 didn't come up in the model selection box.

Is there an offical place to report bugs?

Hi Guys,

You can always post any issues at:
BEHRINGER • View topic - For Technical and/or Warranty Support...

Please also send me a message with the issue, either PM or my email at:
[email protected]

I guarantee that if you send it to me, I will forward the information onto our development team.
We highly value you feedback and always consider your requests/issues in future upgrades.

Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Last edited: