60 Degree DIY Mid Hi - AKA PM60

Re: 60 Degree DIY Mid Hi

My 2c worth ...

1)
Ply wood thickness – 15mm or 16mm would work provided there is enough bracing.

2) Exterior width to match XT1464 or plus a bit … 0 to 6 mm any more than that the box starts to look too big.

3) 455mm is as deep as I would go. If you set the horn back 30mm you can always cut a bit off (15mm) the front depending on how you do the grills.

4) baffles. Right now, I'm thinking 15mm ply routed out 6mm, with a 6mm spacer ring” that would be a good compromise, alternatively make the baffle thicker (18mm) and route 10mm to 12 mm

5) Corners....make the box square for simplicity and let any brave souls lop off corners” agree, and don’t forget to take all the screws out. It looks much better, smaller and more professional with the corners cut off, and slightly lighter. The corner piece only needs to be 12mm because the span is so short.

6) I would also make the top, bottom and back all the some width – easy to cut out and assemble.

Hi Peter,

2). The more I think about it, why go any wider than necessary....so I'm back to XT1464 + a bit.

3) And i see with the 455 stepped depth, it would be very easy to make interchangeable 1 piece baffle boards the full outer width of the box...(further reason to stay narrow)..

6) Big yes

Further autopsy report on shredded 60 degree 12" ......

Well, I went to drop in the new rcf 12", and on closer inspection I found its other driver I thought to be good was also torn, where i couldn't easily see....
It did NOT hit a terminal, which to me is good news!
It was torn where the coil leads attach to the cone.

I have to believe I simply either screwed up high pass, or overdrove the snot out of the box.....

I have to believe I simply either screwed up high pass, or overdrove the snot out of the box.....

Yikes! Either way that's a bummer. Are recone kits readily available? Hope it doesn't happen again.
I can only imagine how loud they were if you were driving them that hard
Peter has cautioned all builders to double check the clearances.

Hi Peter,

2). The more I think about it, why go any wider than necessary....so I'm back to XT1464 + a bit.

3) And i see with the 455 stepped depth, it would be very easy to make interchangeable 1 piece baffle boards the full outer width of the box...(further reason to stay narrow)..

6) Big yes

Thanks Peter and Mark.

To summarize,

The panel thickness will be 15mm. Someone can easily scale to another thickness to suit their needs.
The front to back depth will be 455mm.
The width will be that of the XT1464 or 380mm plus 6mm so total 386mm.
The corners will be square with the option of cutting them off via Peter's method.
The baffles for the 12"s will be 18mm with a relief of 7mm and a 5-6mm spacer will be used.
The front baffle will be set back 30mm.
The type and style of grill will be up to the builder.
I'll show basic bracing but more will be better with the 15mm panel thickness.
I will not show details for swapping horns, that will be up to each builder to decide on.
The top, bottom and back will be the same width.

If you guys think of anything I missed let me know. I'll revise and post the plans in PDF format when I have some time. A sketchup drawing will be a lower priority.
As always, I can either post the CAD file or send it to anyone that wants it.

Last edited:

Hello Don,
i would like to request a set of plans in AutoCAD when available. I also want to thank all who have pushed this project to this point. This is a tremendous job!

Thanks all
Todd

Thanks Peter and Mark.

To summarize,

The panel thickness will be 15mm. Someone can easily scale to another thickness to suit their needs.
The corners will be square with the option of cutting them off via Peter's method.
The baffles for the 12"s will be 18mm with a relief of 7mm and a 5-6mm spacer will be used.
I will not show details for swapping horns, that will be up to each builder to decide on.

If you guys think of anything I missed let me know. I'll revise and post the plans in PDF format when I have some time. A sketchup drawing will be a lower priority.

For the baffels - do you think it would be easier to make them 15mm and use a 10mm spacer, or use 18mm ply and machine a 10mm tapered recess at the edge of the cone? One less part to build / cut.

Attachments

• P5270102.jpg
    P5270102.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

For the baffels - do you think it would be easier to make them 15mm and use a 10mm spacer, or use 18mm ply and machine a 10mm tapered recess at the edge of the cone? One less part to build / cut.

The easiest for a DIY would be to use 15mm with a 10mm spacer, that would eliminate the extra routing step. I will draw it that way and again leave it up to the building to decide which method to use. Your photo clearly shows one alternative.

Thanks Peter and Mark.

To summarize,

Don, that all sounds great...distilled down to 'universal' and with flexibility...
Many thx!

I think that 18mm routed out is probably the easiest to build.

But two things I like about doing both routing and spacer, with the 15mm routed 6mm along with 6mm spacer are:
...about 1/2 lb lighter ( no big deal, but weight is weight)
... 12mm clearance. I know xmax says 10mm is cool,
.....but as already demonstated I'm prone to finding x-damage. I'd like to have even more clearance....:blush:

18mm routed 10mm, leaves 8mm at edge of cone. Could that be taken deeper and stay strong? I'm guessing no...
Maybe the best clearance solution is 18mm routed 10mm and spacer too?

.....but as already demonstrated I'm prone to finding x-damage. I'd like to have even more clearance:

As Ivan pointed out Xmax is not the limit the speaker can move, there is xlim and some other variables to consider.

For my boxes I used 18mm for the baffle, removed 7mm and added a 5mm spacer leaving 12mm total clearance. If I push it hard enough to hit I'm probably over driving it.

I also want to thank all who have pushed this project to this point. This is a tremendous job!

Hear, hear!

My major motivation for converting from long-time lurker to new member here was to compliment and thank everyone - especially Peter - for their work on this fascinating project!

Seems like 2 pairs of these atop suitable subs could really do some damage :twisted: !

Dave

As Ivan pointed out Xmax is not the limit the speaker can move, there is xlim and some other variables to consider.

For my boxes I used 18mm for the baffle, removed 7mm and added a 5mm spacer leaving 12mm total clearance. If I push it hard enough to hit I'm probably over driving it.

I call 'em: x- 'still sounds great', x-'starting to sound strained', x-'how come it doesn't sound any louder?', x-'uh oh, what was that?', and x-'oh shit' :lol:

Here is the PDF file of the drawings based on the recent posts. If anyone spots an error let me know and I'll correct it.
The forum doesn't allow the upload of Autocad files so if you want one PM me with an email address and I'll get it out to you.

Attachments

• diy mid-high 8-5-15a.pdf
    203.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Here is the PDF file of the drawings based on the recent posts. If anyone spots an error let me know and I'll correct it.
The forum doesn't allow the upload of Autocad files so if you want one PM me with an email address and I'll get it out to you.

Hi Don,

Once again, great work - one minor point - the sides of the box for the 60 degree version need to be cut out for the XT1464 as below.

Attachments

• 60 diy 2.jpg
    60 diy 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 98

I think that 18mm routed out is probably the easiest to build.

But two things I like about doing both routing and spacer, with the 15mm routed 6mm along with 6mm spacer are:
...about 1/2 lb lighter ( no big deal, but weight is weight)
... 12mm clearance. I know xmax says 10mm is cool,
.....but as already demonstated I'm prone to finding x-damage. I'd like to have even more clearance....:blush:

18mm routed 10mm, leaves 8mm at edge of cone. Could that be taken deeper and stay strong? I'm guessing no...
Maybe the best clearance solution is 18mm routed 10mm and spacer too?

12mm is good :)~:)~:smile: Its also important not to change the volume between the cone and the horn entrance too much. If you reduce the volume you will get slightly more HF out of the 12"

Last edited:

Peter, just curious, have you had the opportunity to use two 60 degs a side "in anger" as you put it? If so, how did they do? How do you feel the coverage is?

Not yet, its winter down here and there are not many outdoor events to try them on. I think I will using 2 a side in a couple of week.

Attachments

• 2 x DIYs.jpg
    2 x DIYs.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 143

Peter has the coolest toys! What are you flying those boxes from? Can you share any more pictures and details on that setup?

Thank you,

Jeff

Its one of these - http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=09050201&LG=ENG Its quick and easy to set up for small to medium size shows. Its rated at 275 kgs ... but there is NO-WAY I would put anything more than about 140 Kgs on it.

I have also include a picture of the fly frame - 150 Kgs with a 10:1 safety factor ... just need to replace the nuts with some lock nuts :)

Attachments

• fly frame.jpg
    fly frame.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited: