Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

Re: Behringer iNUKE NU6000 amplifier

I recently purchased an inuke6000 for testing. This amp is very stable, has good thermal behaviour, other amps get very hot but this one stays very cool when putting out the same power. Only thing that bothers me is the high sensitivity. Use the behringer DCX2496 processor, but I have to turn the limiter almost to -24db to keep the inuke out of clipping.
If you're getting it to clip you're doing something WAY wrong as it has an internal clip limiter to prevent that. I run my NU3000 wide open all the time and it seems no more sensitive than my IPR3000. And unless the amp is oversized for the cabs it is driving you don't want to be using the limiters in the DCX2496 anyways, nor do you normally want to prevent the amp's limiters from functioning unless you want to be really, really quiet. You do know that the DCX2496 has RMS limiters and the amp has peak limiters so they can easily be 10+ dB different in threshold on a regular music type signal?

Are you sure? I know it has zero-attack limiters (by definition not rms) but I've never seen any rms limiters on the dcx2496.
Someone on one of these forums actually tested them as Behringer themselves are clueless on the subject. However they didn't fully test them - I suspect there is also a peak limiter at some fixed multiple of the rms setting (or vis versa). I have one on the shelf here but haven't actually had a use for it - my DBX 223 does the job fine as I don't use passive tops anymore and the power limiting in my NU3000 when bridged pretty closely matches the ratings of my TH-Mini's. Anyways you can set the RMS limiters pretty accurately by disconnecting the output, inputting a 60 Hz signal, and using a cheap voltmeter to adjust the limiter for the desired voltage using the usual formula - the target voltage equals the square root of (the desired watts limit times the cabinet's rated ohms). You should set the watts at about 80% of the continuous rating if you want them to last more than a couple hours.

I recently purchased an inuke6000 for testing. This amp is very stable, has good thermal behaviour, other amps get very hot but this one stays very cool when putting out the same power.

Only thing that bothers me is the high sensitivity.
use the behringer DCX2496 processor, but I have to turn the limiter almost to -24db to keep the inuke out of clipping.

That seems about right, the DCX outputs +22dBu and the input sensitivity of the iNukes is around 0dBu at max gain, so you would have to set the limiters around -22dB to stop it from ever clipping no matter what (running the dcx inputs too hot)

That seems about right, the DCX outputs +22dBu and the input sensitivity of the iNukes is around 0dBu at max gain, so you would have to set the limiters around -22dB to stop it from ever clipping no matter what (running the dcx inputs too hot)
Indeed, when setting dcx limiter at -22db the clip led on the inuke is just not lit.
But I also want to use the inuke6000 on smaller cabinets with less power, so I would want to limit earlier

Well that problem you can not solve. I wonder why they do it like that. -22db is actually 0db and you can only get to -24, which translates to -2db. Very stupid and my only problem with that unit.
You can always turn down the gain, but that wont stop the dcx to give the full output if driven hard on the inputs.

I am not familiar with the DCX but, does it not have control over the output gain? I would just pull the output gain down in the processor until it plays nice with the inuke.

I am not familiar with the DCX but, does it not have control over the output gain? I would just pull the output gain down in the processor until it plays nice with the inuke.
Yes it has output gain, but when you drive the input harder, your outputs also rises, that's what I don't want. My business is rental, so for example I want to limit the inuke to delive ronly half of its power.
At this moment it's only possible by turning the gain on the amplifier down, but you know in rental business they always turn everything fully clockwise if possible so that's not an option.

Best option I have is Antoon's idea: making a passive attenuator of about 10db between dcx and inuke.

Yes it has output gain, but when you drive the input harder, your outputs also rises, that's what I don't want. My business is rental, so for example I want to limit the inuke to delive ronly half of its power.
At this moment it's only possible by turning the gain on the amplifier down, but you know in rental business they always turn everything fully clockwise if possible so that's not an option.

Best option I have is Antoon's idea: making a passive attenuator of about 10db between dcx and inuke.

Please explain the difference between lowering the gain -10db; in the processor; with an inline passive attenuators between the processor and the amp; and turning the input attenuators on the amp down.

They are all going decrease the signal level into the amplifier 10db and none of them are going to prevent the amplifier from outputting its full power. If you hit the input of the processor harder, the output of the amplifier is going increase the same amount in each case. The only way to prevent that would be with limiting.
If you are worried about a customer mucking with the gain, it would appear to me that turning the output down in the processor would get things as far away from busy little fingers as possible. This method also would give you the option of adjusting the output for different speaker configurations, not just offering a fixed amount of attenuation.

Please explain the difference between lowering the gain -10db; in the processor; with an inline passive attenuators between the processor and the amp; and turning the input attenuators on the amp down.
Because when you do dry-rental, people that hire stuff will ALWAYS turn input attenuators on amplifiers fully clockwise.(and even more likely try to turn the amp to 11 instead of 10:x~:-x~:mad:)
When I put passive attenuators between processor-amp in the ampracks, it's more difficult to mess with it.

Because when you do dry-rental, people that hire stuff will ALWAYS turn input attenuators on amplifiers fully clockwise.(and even more likely try to turn the amp to 11 instead of 10:x~:-x~:mad:)
I never argued that. You seemed to imply in your previous post that there was something electronically different between the three methods and that using either a passive attenuator or turning down the input on the amp would prevent the amplifier from outputting full power. AND I would still argue that in a dry-hire situation that the most inaccessible way turn down the input of the amp would be in the processor, that can be locked/password protected, rather then with a in-line device that can be unplugged.

davy gabriels;70230I would still argue that in a dry-hire situation that the most inaccessible way turn down the input of the amp would be in the processor said:
But that was the problem in the first place. In the DCX you can't turn the limiter low enough, and I did understand that you can't turn the gain down after this limiter...

As I said I'm not familiar with the DCX. But...
You propose to limit the DCX at 0db allowing for an output of +22db and use an in-line attenuator to lower the level say -10db. This would limit the input level at the amplifier to +12db. Is this correct?

Then, how is this different then lowering the output gain in the DCX (which appears to effectively be the input gain of the limiter) “-10” (+22db-10db= +12db) and setting the limiter DCX limiter to limit at “-10” which would limit the output of the DCX (and thereby the input of the amp) to +12db (assuming one "volume step" in the DCX is equal to 1 db) ?

Last edited:

I never argued that. You seemed to imply in your previous post that there was something electronically different between the three methods and that using either a passive attenuator or turning down the input on the amp would prevent the amplifier from outputting full power. AND I would still argue that in a dry-hire situation that the most inaccessible way turn down the input of the amp would be in the processor, that can be locked/password protected, rather then with a in-line device that can be unplugged.

In general I agree with you, Doug, but if a dry hire client goes to the trouble of finding and removing an in-line attenuator they aren't going to be significantly discouraged by a locked processor, they'll just plug into the amps and feed your bi-amp speakers with 2 channels of full range :( . Do not underestimate the power of determined ignorance.

We're mostly out of the retail dry hire biz. There's not enough profit in it for the amount of client support required. Clients routinely underestimate their needs, too, and come back with damaged goods or demands for discounts when their choices did not meet their actual needs. Bah, humbug.

Equipment with the fewest accessible controls, knobs, patch points and i/o generated the least amount of support calls on Saturday afternoons... So if we were to get back into this biz, all processing would be internal to the amp or powered speaker, with limiting preset and the control panels locked out except for the power switch; yes, this capability raises the price of gear but helps insure that it comes back working. Package in fully enclosed ventilated racks, with all jacks and connectors on the i/o panel not needed for the client's use taped over with black gaffer tape (we did this before, it helps a little).

Putting client-friendly/client-proof rigs together is a challenge. It's expensive and many rental customer are price-sensitive.

We refer small rentals to our local 'dad and lad' music store. One family owned business supporting another...

My iNuke 6000 is not working. It has already been sent into the retail shop where it was bought to hopefully be quickly sent to the South Africa distributor to be fixed hopefully faster than their history of repairs would indicate... It is still under its 1 year

I thought however that I would outline the problem here to see if anyone has seen something similar or knows what the problem is. I have read through some of the thread and done searches but this thread is long and the searches haven't found anything specific yet.

The amplifier was working outdoors under shade in mild temperatures and low humidity. It was on generator power supplied by a professional gennie company with decent machines. It had already worked flawlessly for a day and a half in those conditions powering 4x (2 on each channel) 250W rms two-way 15inch tops at high but not unreasonable volumes. The amp had coped well and neither the amp nor speakers were being pushed hard. Material was background music and announcements.

The amplifier suddenly died (the sound died) and the ring lights around the gain controls went red. (The fans also stopped). We unplugged ALL cables and reconnected it to the power. The machine turned on with the rings in red as normal but then the ring lights went out and the fans stopped. Soon after the red lights came back on. The whole process then happened again on its own. It seems like the machine is going into protect mode, trying to restart and going into protect again. There is definitely a relay switch clicking off in the amp when this happens and it sound like it is coming from that breaker above the AC inlet. I have subsequently put the amp on metered and definitely correct mains power and the same thing happens.

Has anybody seen this problem or does anyone know what is wrong with it?

(I normally post on the other forum but created an account to post here because of the inuke mega thread)