Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Re: Behringer X32 Firmware v3.0 Feature Requests

Is there some kind of glove with fingers that always reliably have the capacitance or whatever to operate the touch screen, without making you sweat? Maybe it's a winter phenomenon, and not a problem with sweaty hands. Just thought of that.

I always use a stylus. But I'm just mixing. Not playing an instrument and making adjustments.

Unlike some, I would welcome a pitch correction effect. I think that it is a very effective method of making so so vocalists sound better.

Pitch correction for a singer make ABSOLUTELY no sense when mixing a live show. Every acoustic source on stage will ALWAYS bleed into the vocal mike. Imagine a quarter of a note flat singer (I know a lot of them ;) ) and the sound will be pitched a quarter up. Meanwhile the picked up sound of the guitar on stage will be pitched as well. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I learned when tried to pitch correct a singer in a live multitrack recording.

Cheers, Henty

Do you feel you're immune to being bumped when you're on faders?

Serious question.

Regarding the part where you couldn't drag the knob around, many times I have to do a move two or three or four times because the iPad doesn't respond to my touch. I don't know if I'm especially wizened and dry, although that is certainly possible, but there have been some near panics when trying to unmute a channel as the talent was moving toward the mic.

Is there some kind of glove with fingers that always reliably have the capacitance or whatever to operate the touch screen, without making you sweat? Maybe it's a winter phenomenon, and not a problem with sweaty hands. Just thought of that.

Not really a 3.0 request, though.......

No Dan, I don't think I would be immune, I just think that it is much easier to correct a bump with a fader rather than a knob..... at least it is for me. I never have any issues getting hold of a fader on my iPad. I always seem to have some difficulty with the knob controls.

Pitch correction for a singer make ABSOLUTELY no sense when mixing a live show. Every acoustic source on stage will ALWAYS bleed into the vocal mike. Imagine a quarter of a note flat singer (I know a lot of them ;) ) and the sound will be pitched a quarter up. Meanwhile the picked up sound of the guitar on stage will be pitched as well. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I learned when tried to pitch correct a singer in a live multitrack recording.

Cheers, Henty

I think that the stage volume would have to be pretty loud before that would happen .... at which point you would have much bigger problems than the guitar getting pitch corrected through the vocalist microphone ;)

I have never had any issues using the TC Helicon pitch correction live.

I

Cheers, Henty

Nah, I mixed a band at large live shows and they had backing vocal tracks and a TC vocal tuner to keep the lead vocals in tune with the tracks. A vocalist right on the mic is many magnitudes louder than any bleed.
Maybe on a quiet tiny stage, but in most situations, it CAN be useful.

Is having the right side faders used for inputs in fact incorporated in V2?

would make the small mixers more useful
Yep. It is in V2, but I think it only works with the compact and producer (and possibly rack from the PC X32 Edit program).

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I don't think it works on the full X32 (ie giving you access to 24 channels at a time).

Select on Fader

Whoever wants to work with this option he has the problem, that it is far too sensitive !
If you only touch another fader by mistake (not a really move !) you are working with a wrong channel.

The select should not change until the fader is moved about 3 to 5 percent of the 100 mm.

RTA

The Real Time Analyser (best of v2.0) offers to see it either pre or post EQ.
But if you really want to compare the differences this is not a profitable way with the RTA in action.

A better comparison could be the next:
The RTA should work in a dual mode, pre and post EQ at the same time.
If the EQ is off or reset the result is the same and the RTA shows a figure like now.

But if you change any frequency there will be a different result bedween pre an post.
If the EQ is boosting a frequency the pre EQ signal is shown like now and the higher part of the post EQ signal is shown in green (i.e.).
If you lower a frequency the part bedween the pre and post signal will be shown in red.

Select on Fader

Whoever wants to work with this option he has the problem, that it is far too sensitive !
If you only touch another fader by mistake (not a really move !) you are working with a wrong channel.

The select should not change until the fader is moved about 3 to 5 percent of the 100 mm.
5% in the lower scale corresponds to a level change of approx 10dB! Not my cup of tea...

I would actually like to see the iPad app have a complete screen dedicated to gains. A set of faders in groups of around 8-12 along with a VU input meter would be great. A quick way to shuffel between sets of inputs would polish this off for me.

I don't think this is even necessary on the physical console since using a physical dial is perfectly fine. It is only an issue on the tablet applications.

Ok, after getting myself buggered at our last practice I really really want "Gains on Faders"!

On the iPad app, I was adjusting the gain for the rhythm guitar and got bumped while doing it .... pegging the gain for the guitar. Fortunately, it only caused a loud low hum feedback which got clipped on the subs. Still, I couldn't drag that silly knob back around for several seconds (which felt like several minutes).

Please give me gains on faders!

Hi Scott,

I gave you what I hope was a tiny and acceptable amount of crap about this post.

Last night I did a show on the X32 where the group (a gospel choir) wanted monitor sends on specific mics on one mix to increase 3db on a sequence of solo mics during a song. There were 8 different mics in that sequence, each lasting one line of the song. It turned out that the solos also needed to increase in the house simultaneously, although they didn't say or know anything about that, and being able to do it with faders on the input trims would have been exactly the right thing.

So I'm on your side now in asking for this change that I thought was unnecessary. FWIW I thought of you and your suggestion at the time, so I hope you felt your ears burning at 9:30pm PST.

This was also the first show I've done where I took no spare X32 because of truck pack, and all went well, of course.

Apologetically,
Dan

LOL. Apology accepted ... not that I think you were really criticizing my comments to the point of needing one anyway.

So you are saying that even on the physical console this would be useful? I know I really would like it on the iPad app since gains are so touchy to begin with and using those silly round knobs on the touch screen is simply not that accurate.

The mix station has a feature called "fine" where all the controls respond at 1/2 the distance you move your finger. This would be really nice for gains as well on the Behringer iPad app.

It is also interesting that when something like loud unexpected feedback occurs, you just seem to lose your common sense for a few seconds. For instance, instead of pawing away at that silly round control, I could have just quickly flipped over and turned down the main .... if it weren't for that darned brain freeze moment ;)

LOL. Apology accepted ... not that I think you were really criticizing my comments to the point of needing one anyway.

So you are saying that even on the physical console this would be useful?

Yes, although knowing that hardware is harder to change than software, I wouldn't expect it to be possible on the console. I could have just as easily done that part of the mix on iPads. In my situation last night, having that feature on the console or iPad would have allowed me to mix the choir on faders controlling both main and monitor sends. Had I known about it before the soundcheck rather than after, I could have repositioned the console patch to have them all within a section of the iPad rather than spread out over two groups of 8. There was definitely no time to reconfigure, and I didn't know then that they'd need the change in FOH, too. It certainly didn't ruin the night for anyone....

The mix station has a feature called "fine" where all the controls respond at 1/2 the distance you move your finger. This would be really nice for gains as well on the Behringer iPad app.

I'm not sure what a mix station is; googling finds that it's either a DJ mixer on a computer, or some kind of furniture, or possibly an android X32 app. Is it one of those things? If the latter, why isn't it on the iPad, too? (rhetorical)

It is also interesting that when something like loud unexpected feedback occurs, you just seem to lose your common sense for a few seconds. For instance, instead of pawing away at that silly round control, I could have just quickly flipped over and turned down the main .... if it weren't for that darned brain freeze moment ;)

Funny how that works. It's like your brain is trying to stay still to process whatever the hell that was and decide if you are damaged in any way before responding.

That situation is one where having all controls visible would make it quicker to respond without much thought, which is where athletes and similar people try to get to, to be able to effectively respond to something that they're not even consciously aware is what they're doing. The intermediary brain is out of the picture and it's just reflexes and training.

That's the Way of the Ninja Sound Engineer; that's how we do it. Yeah, that's it.

Funny how that works. It's like your brain is trying to stay still to process whatever the hell that was and decide if you are damaged in any way before responding.

That situation is one where having all controls visible would make it quicker to respond without much thought, which is where athletes and similar people try to get to, to be able to effectively respond to something that they're not even consciously aware is what they're doing. The intermediary brain is out of the picture and it's just reflexes and training.

That's the Way of the Ninja Sound Engineer; that's how we do it. Yeah, that's it.

I haven't repeated this for a while... This is exactly the kind of situation where digital decision making could be helpful. We don't need to trust the digital brain inside the box to fix the feedback by itself, but it can immediately identify the channel that is feeding back and snap to the control, or controls affecting that channel. If it guesses wrong and you don't have feedback to fix, no harm, but it could save you several seconds of hunting around.

JR

you don't have feedback to fix, no harm, but it could save you several seconds of hunting around.

Before any automatic detection can adjust, you need real feedback, not a small feedback only introducing some "color" to the sound.
So for most of us fighting the knobs they can be sooner...

If you don't have a clue where the feedback is coming from, or your away from the console, then it could help.

Before any automatic detection can adjust, you need real feedback, not a small feedback only introducing some "color" to the sound.
So for most of us fighting the knobs they can be sooner...

If you don't have a clue where the feedback is coming from, or your away from the console, then it could help.

Not to pontificate about feedback (too much), but back in the day Peavey designed a DSP based feedback locator called the Mentor. It was kind of expensive for what it was, so it didn't sell well in Peavey distribution. It did not fix the feedback, just light up LEDs to tell you what frequency band needs attention. Dispute it's low bang for the buck factor, the product was well loved by those professionals who could ignore the Peavey name on it. To finally get to my point, the Mentor used DSP algorithms to discriminate between harmless music and real feedback based on things like the rate of change of the potential feedback candidate and other feedback specific properties. It could identify feedback well before it was the loudest signal going on.

All that said, I do not know that a budget digital console would allocate that much DSP processing power for such a low value application, they surely could do more than they do to help when something is clearly very wrong. For now I still think it needs to only point at the birds, but not shoot them. That will come in time. The market is not ready for full cybernetic control yet.

JR

Peavey designed a DSP based feedback locator called the Mentor.

Sounds like a sabine unit. I don't know the peavey one. Peavey has the image of a lo quality brand in the Netherlands, despite they do have also better stuf. It's like the behringer brand of the 80's. :roll:
But I must admit I did have a graphic peavey eq, with leds above the sliders, and it did indicate feedback quite good. However I didn't use the eq, but trained myself to find the frequency.
With the RTA on the V2.0 software you have something simular.

Sounds like a sabine unit. I don't know the peavey one. Peavey has the image of a lo quality brand in the Netherlands, despite they do have also better stuf. It's like the behringer brand of the 80's. :roll:
But I must admit I did have a graphic peavey eq, with leds above the sliders, and it did indicate feedback quite good. However I didn't use the eq, but trained myself to find the frequency.
With the RTA on the V2.0 software you have something simular.

JR knows about feedback location, he has a patent on it.