Help a club pick a console to replace an aging Crest VX.

Re: Help a club pick a console to replace an aging Crest VX.

I like that idea. I'm a little worried about the X32 and the "not acceptable" list. Anybody seen it show up as not acceptable? No reason to honestly. Sounds good and is easy to use. As long as you don't need more than 32 inputs nobody should not allow it. I've seen the LS9 on a few that's why I worry.

I like that idea. I'm a little worried about the X32 and the "not acceptable" list. Anybody seen it show up as not acceptable? No reason to honestly. Sounds good and is easy to use. As long as you don't need more than 32 inputs nobody should not allow it. I've seen the LS9 on a few that's why I worry.

If you are worried about an X32 and rider acceptability, you are deluding yourself. Acts that work with X32s don't get to make demands. It may be a fine console, but pretending it's ever going to show up on a rider, or that if it is placed in the "not acceptable" list on some act's rider who would be contracting for a rig that might have an X32 in it anyway will matter at all, is like pretending that I operate in the same social circles as Angelina Jolie. Both concepts are so far removed from reality it makes me wonder if you're feeling OK.

Isn't this the same as saying that acts that get to make demands won't work with X32's? :D~:-D~:grin:

Chris

No, it's not.

What it's saying is that any act that will accept a <$3000 mixer will accept *any* such mixer simply because that is the "level" they are at.

Most below-A level national acts will accept about any mixer that meets their actual needs, and you'd be surprised at how far down some will negotiate to get a Tuesday routing gig. Those that are really picky carry their own desk.

I don't personally have anything against the X32 or anyone here. It's an example of communication not really working properly over the internet.

Chris

It's not that black and white bennett.

It may be clubland but I still have to read tech riders and advance shows and the rig and console are taken into consideration by acts and promoters some times. We're not totally immune to tech riders as you may think. We still have to pay attention to the minimum specs and the "not acceptable" list and if they showed up and there was a little Mackie sitting there we would have a problem.

A small format console that meats the minimum specs such as an SI1 or Pro2 I expect would be acceptable to 95% of our acts so why not the X32? Because it's cheap? Because it says behringer on it? It's got 32 inputs, 8 groups, good sized fader banks, sounds good etc...The LS9 is the only one I've seen listed as "not acceptable" and I can understand why. If I had an X32 or an Si vs. a Verona why would it be a problem? I'm asking for real.

Last edited:

Marsellus,

My point is not that there's any problem with the X32, certainly it has all the features you need to mix most any band. If any sub $10K console is acceptable, it should be too unless some BE has a rabid aversion to Behringer - and that will go away with time. My point was that in the distinctly un-rarified air of club level touring, who gives a shit whether the console is on some act's "unacceptable" list? They're going to play on it anyway.

Bennett I think what Marsellus means if the club is trying to sell itself as venue to promoters who may have tech specs from some of their bands then it will be an easier sell if here is a degree of acceptability there, also it help if they were trying to move up a league or two on the types of band that they were trying to attract.
Marsellus stay away from the behringer if that is the case again not beacause it won't do the job but it WILL prove a harder sell, the idea of a large format analogue desk will probably be the way to go just now as you have the infrastructure in place, my pref in your situation would be a Verona or an MH3 both are recent enough that they should have life in them for a good while and both are capable enough for the upper end of your market without being overkill for the lower end.G

I think you need to find a middle ground that will take a large portion of your acts, even if its overkill for most of them. If you have a Verona/MH or?? you can handle anything up to the point where anyone wanting more will either bring their own or pay to have one brought in. Working in a rock club for 3+ years we had a Verona as the house board and anyone who wanted more brought it (H3000s, SD8s, Pro2s, Pro6s and SC48s). While I agree that most bands who would refuse an X32 will likely never run into one, in the "club" setting things change and each and every show is it own "level". You have a local duet Monday a burlesque show Tuesday and an internationally touring act Wednesday.

a good price.)

There's still not many acceptable digital consoles that sound good and are affordable for us. The M7, SC48, Pro 2 and Digico SD's are still all 10k+. And the LS9 sucks.

Why do you say the LS9 "sucks?" This seems to be a statement made by many people, but they never actually say what is wrong with it. Could you enlighten me please?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Why do you say the LS9 "sucks?" This seems to be a statement made by many people, but they never actually say what is wrong with it. Could you enlighten me please?

Thanks,
Mick Berg.

It sounds like nuts and bolts in a blender? Itty-bitty, hard to read screen? Too many button pushes to get where you need to go?
Lack of a usable manual (every Yamaha console ever made..........)!????

Last edited:

Nuts and bolts can almost be passible with a clock. The rest, well, um, yeah.

This is a myth.

Adding an external word clock will not improve the sound of a given converter. Adding an external work clock does not remove the internal clock in a device. In fact, external work clocks are more likely to increase clocking timing errors (jitter).

It sounds like nuts and bolts in a blender? Itty-bitty, hard to read screen? Too many button pushes to get where you need to go?
Lack of a usable manual (every Yamaha console ever made..........)!????

The sound has never bothered me, but aged 65 and a few years of touring behind me, I wouldn't claim that my hearing is the greatest.
The small screen is quite readable, IMHO, and I can't think of another console with less buttons on it.
And it's so simple to use that you hardly need a manual.
So, thanks for the reply, but I have to disagree on every count.
Mick berg.

This is a myth.

Adding an external word clock will not improve the sound of a given converter. Adding an external work clock does not remove the internal clock in a device. In fact, external work clocks are more likely to increase clocking timing errors (jitter).

Have you tried one yourself?

Whether or not it increases/decreases clock errors, I find it does add a positive audible difference in sound.

Will it make it sound like an XL4? No way, not even close! But it does change the sound.

BRad