Listening Get Together

Re: Listening Get Together

I'm not sure why BFM boxes are being used as a benchmark. I don't think anyone here would argue that they're considered a higher end box by any standard. Put them up against some L'Acoustics, d&b, high end EAW, Danley, Meyer, or the new Fulcrum, etc. and you'd have something to really compare against. Heck, even put them up against the older VT JBL stuff.

I, too, share Mr. Rees skepticism and that is one reason I wanted to attend the event. Pesky ol' gig Friday and Saturday (4 continuous hours of dueling pianos) kept me from attending.

Having been involved in some previous "listening" events that included measurements, I would have been hard pressed to come up with results that were meaningful from a loudspeaker design evaluation perspective. The level of detail in planning and executing these measurements does not jive with the relatively fast-paced environment of a listening event. It yields measurements of questionable value and an internet full of Monday morning quarterbacks to assail the results.

"The inventors" need to get their patent application in so we can have a look at how they re-write the laws of physics (cue Scotty's voice) or at least pay for "real" measurement with an industry-accepted firm or engineer.

Sinusoidal testing does not display what we hear. The vortex requires lf energy to function.
As as I understand it-as written above-if there is no bass signal-then the highs don't work either-since they "ride along on top of the bass wave"(as the website says how it "works")?

There is a lot of music that does not have a lot of bass-so that would mean that the cabinets would not work with that type of material?

Or is there a constant signal applied (like an RF carrier wave) that allows the vortex to "function".

I realize you don't want to give away any "secrets", but even a little bit of theory about how it works-NOT the end result-would help.

It generally starts by explaining the current problem (such as inverse square law- or what causes room modes)-then explaining how those problems are overcome.

And if you can't measure it with normal equipment-how come you were inviting people to measure it and asking the people who measured it (what did they use BTW?) to give some data. Seems odd to me-since it can't be done.

So do you have ANY data or specs (sensitivity-coverage pattern-freq response etc) that can be shared? Surely in the development of the product some measurements were taken-or it s all by ear? and a SPL meter?

Not only that, but I'm beginning to wonder what the heck is in the water out there in Oklahoma. For all the world, this thread is sounding like the good ol days with another Okie and his speaker designs...who, as I recall, was found to have two or three alias' before he was banned from the old forum.

John

Yeah, the Pi guy.... He got really pissy when I questioned his heat sink vs. long term output methodology.

I'm not sure why BFM boxes are being used as a benchmark. I don't think anyone here would argue that they're considered a higher end box by any standard. Put them up against some L'Acoustics, d&b, high end EAW, Danley, Meyer, or the new Fulcrum, etc. and you'd have something to really compare against. Heck, even put them up against the older VT JBL stuff.
They are not being used as a benchmark. They were there, so we hooked them up and tried them.
We welcomed anyone to bring anything they wanted to compare, but nobody did.

I, too, share Mr. Rees skepticism and that is one reason I wanted to attend the event. Pesky ol' gig Friday and Saturday (4 continuous hours of dueling pianos) kept me from attending.
Skepticism is expected and welcomed.
Sorry you were not able to attend. We will make plans to hook up with you as soon as possible at your convenience.

Having been involved in some previous "listening" events that included measurements, I would have been hard pressed to come up with results that were meaningful from a loudspeaker design evaluation perspective. The level of detail in planning and executing these measurements does not jive with the relatively fast-paced environment of a listening event. It yields measurements of questionable value and an internet full of Monday morning quarterbacks to assail the results.

You are correct. Lots to do and not much time to do it.
It's probably best that we bring cabs to you so you are not under time constraints.

Apparently, some are having difficulty understanding a simple offer, so I will repost it.

And I will re-post the reasonable response from Jay:

"Send me the box with your choice of amp and a return shipping authorization. I will measure the transfer function and impulse response with SMAART.

Include a check for $350 for professional services."

Yes. This is correct.

The offer stands. I will ship anybody a pair of MinE25's for evaluation with an NDA. The only way I know to get this across.

Just email me. [email protected]

Hi Leland,
We have already discussed this, but you were still early in the prototype process. Please send one when you have them ready, I will sign the NDA etc. I will send you another email to confirm.

Thanks
Jeff

And I will re-post the reasonable response from Jay:
"Send me the box with your choice of amp and a return shipping authorization. I will measure the transfer function and impulse response with SMAART.
Include a check for $350 for professional services."
::sigh:: Ok then. My reasonable response is: Thank you Jay for the offer. We politely decline.

::sigh:: Ok then. My reasonable response is: Thank you Jay for the offer. We politely decline.

Why would you not want these boxes measured properly by someone trained to do so. Are you trying to hide something, or are you not confident enough in your product to invest the money? $350 is cheap imo, no one should be doing this work for free.

Why would you not want these boxes measured properly by someone trained to do so. Are you trying to hide something, or are you not confident enough in your product to invest the money? $350 is cheap imo, no one should be doing this work for free.
Two reasons:
1) I don't know his background anymore than he knows mine. Other than what I can read on his profile.
2) There are several offering to do it for no charge, just to see for themselves.

Send me the box with your choice of amp and a return shipping authorization. I will measure the transfer function and impulse response with SMAART.

Include a check for $350 for professional services.

Jay, I'm willing to put up $35 towards your fee. Are there nine other forumites willing to do the same?

Leland, et al, if we raise the money for Jay's measurements, will you send your speakers to him? Let's see where this goes.

Jay, I will send you a PM to get info about where to send my money. Mark C.

Pat Brown or Ron Sauro, both produce measurements that we can all agree are worthwhile. If we were looking for yet another speaker line to carry, I'd chip in for one of these two individuals to measure.

If Leland is still planning to send me a sample cab, I will post some measurements if that is agreed to per the NDA. However, I still highly suggest that someone who is well established as a credible pro be contacted for measurements. I recommended Pat Brown, as some others have as well.