Mini Line Array

Re: Mini Line Array

About my perceived Norway image. You typically need about 1 million watts in big format line arrays mounted on like 6-12 buses to cover a 3-4K high school graduates. I wonder what the 20K people rider list has as a power requirements. A small portable nuclear plant perhaps. Am i close? :)

Well, the biggest permanent venue in Oslo (cap 1750) has 16 big boy line array cabinets with dual 18" to support that. Plenty of headroom. Think big :)

My useless 2 cents

Unless you can make a real long line of them, a mini line array box is just a box.

If you want throw, coverage, control, hifi, and great power response, buy a few SH50/60's and some good subs.

Let me start by thanking all of you for your responses.

I have added some pictures to try and better explaine the picture I have in mind with the hopes of it working the way I would like it too.

there has been a few companies launching smaller line array systems that had me thinking for some time now.

The idea is to replace my system fully with one of those options. Sending a DJ out with 4 arrays and 2 bins for a wedding and when the need combining all the line array for the larger functions.

the stage sizes I have been dealing with has recently gone from putting sound up for 2000 to 20000. I will mostly be catering for 2000 to about 5000 and 2-3 time a year need to setup for +/- 18000.

The idea was to get 12 dual 10" line array top drivers and 8 dual 18" bass drivers.

Any recommendations will help at this stage. As I don't want to be spending the money and then find it still doesn't deliver.

I was once told turning a big system down is easier than turning a small system up and there for the line speaker hunt.

From the photos I see a new Behringer system, an overpriced JBL that you will need 8 or more a side of to get them to array, and a Paraline system.
I'd take the Paraline. Alone or all together it will fit what you described as your needs.

Again I would consider a SH50 or SH60 if it were me.

My useless 2 cents

Unless you can make a real long line of them, a mini line array box is just a box.

If you want throw, coverage, control, hifi, and great power response, buy a few SH50/60's and some good subs.
The is my contention. Someone I used to know just put in an RCF 'line line array' which i am sure had to be 2 HD20's a side at the most in a room that is 20' deep. Pretty expensive 'box' for what is actually needed in the space.

I am guilty of doing something similar last month and I am so glad you guys talked some sense into me! Too bad we don't always listen to the voice of reason...

Ernest... We've all been there.

Recently I was debating if I want to look into a dB T8 rig or just buy a killer trap box. I'm sticking with a trap box, its much easier to throw up on the subs or a stick and plug in and be done with it. The T8's there is like 8-12 things that need to be touched/adjusted/checked before you plug it up. If I need anything bigger than a single speaker per side, I can call several local guys if I need to provide it (most of those bigger shows, the client hire productions).

You should have a look at the new Danley SBH 10 horn/line array box.

it has 8 paraline lenses with a 5 inch coax on each loaded on a horn in a 9 X 60 inch tall box.
this ought to work very well if you can afford it.

Just read thread for the first time now - a few points I'd like to share if I may.. (normally only actually post on psw).

Our SPL expectations in South Africa are not particularly dissimilar from anywhere else as far as I have experienced.

Having read the OP's various posts he seems to fit the profile of a lot of operators in the country at the moment: "Sound Companies" (most of them deserve the inverted commas, some not as much), that have developed from DJ businesses where the operators use a large number of inexpensive generic-chinese point source boxes at relatively informal events (Pax number various from 0-2000 or thereabouts). Quality is non-exsistant, volume is fairly brutal, safety is ignored and the audience does not care. The cash tends rolls in quickly and they now want to "go up a level". Armed with a healthy purchasing account and an eye on the large, well organized and extremely popular EDM parties (usually trance, often held in the countryside, lots of arty deco and illegal substances), these "sound companies" look towards what the big companies use - line arrays. Like many markets worldwide, ours is VERY brand sensitive and a single VRX active box over the VRX active sub (per side) often wins a bid over a decent standard SOS point source system. These companies unfortunately give the industry a bad image, are dangerous and take business from real pro's.

Not saying the OP is one of these companies at all. Just giving some background on a growing trend in SA that bears similarity to the OP's position.

To the OP, enquire with AudioWarehouse/Sound&Light City about the FBT gear they are currently pushing. That is a popular solution to your current position - or look at the DB Tech systems.

For those who do not know: "Hybrid" in South Africa is a very popular OEM brand of awful (and cheap) loudspeakers hated by those in the know.