New Midas PRO X Console at PL&S

re: New Midas Pro X Console at PL&S

Never heard of this. Did we deploy it in the field back then?

Gesendet von meinem XT910 mit Tapatalk

Christian, I think we Americans have to bring you up to speed here. The Lepage Glue Gun is a fictional gun jokingly said by the protagonist of Catch-22, which is part of the American Literature canon. Just a cultural mishap, I'm afraid.

On a more serious not relative to the topic, I think that if Uli were to be at all concerned with higher end consoles, he would have created a replacement for the XL8 or something along those lines. If I know him well enough, he wouldn't be foolish not to name it the XL9 or at least something else that followed the naming scheme of their line.

No, I think this is probably something aimed at broadcast, if I were to guess simply because of the name. Neutron just seems more broadcast to me. Then again… the random name generator is likely to blame here.

To be unveiled at PL&S March 12 2014, neutron, looks to be another console.
See: www.midasconsoles.com

I am heavily invested in Midas and Turbosound – every time Uli does something with these brands I feel nervous. There seems to be a great understanding of the MI world and marketing, but not a clue about the rider driven pro-world within the Music Group.
They seem to think that new names and badge engineering is the way to go…. While I suspect this will be initially good for their bottom line, this approach makes me nervous … So whatever he releases, I hope he proves me very wrong. :?~:-?~:???:

Right there with you, Peter

I am split between the fact that I can now get PRO desks and TurboSound products at what I feel to be FANTASTIC prices BUT now our resale value on existing inventory has also been decimated.

IF the new Midas consoles and new production runs of re-badged TurboSound products (and subsequent support) maintain or exceed the quality of the previous products, well, then they will be a very smart buy.

If, on the other hand, the quality of the products or support (parts!) is not maintained, we will be in an awkward position.

That being said, from a customer's point of view, TurboSound had not much room to go but up for the last few years. Some great products (Aspect/Flex/Flashline) but...

So, I bet we will have some hindsight here in eighteen months :)

Sorry to steer this thread away from Midas' newest teaser. I am excited to see what it is. Still hoping for a Midas rack mounted digital matrix mixer with AES50 etc...

Jason

..Neutron = small particle..
Agreed. My money is on an M32 Compact, as most of the parts are interchangeable. Screen, gain, low cut, gate, comp, eq, and main bus circuit boards will work. The end caps, LED ladders, scribble strips, and so on. The ONLY pieces they have to manufacturer separately is the top & rear panel.

Christian, I think we Americans have to bring you up to speed here. The Lepage Glue Gun is a fictional gun jokingly said by the protagonist of Catch-22, which is part of the American Literature canon. Just a cultural mishap, I'm afraid.

Nice one. Thank you for bringing this into my mind. It will get on the list of American books I still have to read.

I notice that one Bugera amp use the name of the car that inspired the design, so the Neutron is going to look like this:

Neutron_Series-_Mini_Bus.jpg

Sorry to steer this thread away from Midas' newest teaser. I am excited to see what it is. Still hoping for a Midas rack mounted digital matrix mixer with AES50 etc...

Jason

Makes sense to me, change the faceplate on that rack mount X32 thing but call it an XLD-88 and sell it for $5-10k, like the analog one and they'll make a million bucks. I think that the way people have been using DME's as a festival matrix that can do any type of digital i/o matrix (but is really kludgey) shows that the market is there to sell a fair amount.

thomas d.

Right there with you, Peter

I am split between the fact that I can now get PRO desks and TurboSound products at what I feel to be FANTASTIC prices BUT now our resale value on existing inventory has also been decimated.

IF the new Midas consoles and new production runs of re-badged TurboSound products (and subsequent support) maintain or exceed the quality of the previous products, well, then they will be a very smart buy.

If, on the other hand, the quality of the products or support (parts!) is not maintained, we will be in an awkward position.

That being said, from a customer's point of view, TurboSound had not much room to go but up for the last few years. Some great products (Aspect/Flex/Flashline) but...

So, I bet we will have some hindsight here in eighteen months :)

Jason

I appreciate your and Peter's concern for sure, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that Turbo has a history of changing SKU's randomly, if you recall the Flash/Flood/21" sub name changes. The nerdy name changed but people just called them flash or flood. They had the good sense to not change the actual product when they changed the badge on the product. Certain other competing products did the opposite and changed what was in the box without changing the name, which is a much bigger problem. I know I'm going to continue calling them Flex, I had to go look up that they changed from TFA-600 to TFA-104 and couldn't care less. They were branded as Flex, they're still Flex as long as they don't mess with their guts I don't think it will matter to anyone but their bean counters.

thomas d.

But where would they put a higher end console? Their product line is pretty much complete at the higher end, PRO 1 through 9 and XL8 fits almost every need imho.

Gesendet von meinem XT910 mit Tapatalk

I'm just guessing like everyone else:

The XL8 apparantly is great, but it's really expensive, and was not designed to be manufactured in the New Midas plant in China. And Behringer have claimed that the Pro series will drop in price now. Sooo....how about something higher-end than Pro 9 but a lot less expensive than the XL 8?

I get the name also, "something that binds the atom together, with no negative or positive charge".

I would have gone with "Nucleus", though!

The XL8 apparantly is great, but it's really expensive, and was not designed to be manufactured in the New Midas plant in China. And Behringer have claimed that the Pro series will drop in price now. Sooo....how about something higher-end than Pro 9 but a lot less expensive than the XL 8?

Yeah... Kinda...

Its mainly just really really expensive.

It sounds good, but in practice its physically massive (not just the surface size and weight, but the accompanying 30u+ of rackspace needed), very pricey, and quite clunky to use.
It only does 96 inputs, where consoles of a similar price do 256 (Digico SD7).
etc... etc...

I'd like to see an FPGA based product that has room to grow and a good price/performance ratio.

I agree. It's most likely a Pro6 class console as they've just introduced one on the low end - and the upper end seems in need of a bit of a refresh.

The current Midas console line divides into two groups: the older (pre 2009) consoles (XL8, Pro3, Pro6, Pro9) that were designed specifically for the traditional Midas analog engineer to be comfortable on; and the new generation of consoles (Pro2, Pro2C, Pro1) that are designed more for engineers that are comfortable with digital and don't expect the surface for mimic analog as much. The UI difference is a bit annoying for anyone who mixes on both the older and newer Pro series - you keep wishing the older more robust surface of the Pro6 functioned with a bit more of the ease of the newer line.

What seems most likely is an updated console in the Pro6 class. Giving users the power of the Pro6 design (multiple screens, KVM switch, redundant power, redundant DSP, guest mixer section, etc.) but with an updated design and user interface more similar to the Pro1/Pro2 systems (fewer buttons / knobs per channel) and with greater use of the VCA faders as Aux and Matrix Masters. Also, the new design should also provide native Firewire/Thunderbolt integration - so we don't need to kluge together the DN9650 & RPM Dynamics setup just to give the console access to Waves SoundGrid or virtual soundcheck as we do now. An updated more powerful and compact brain as an upgrade to the existing DN371 might be part of this.

I don't know, it's just a guess (and a wish).

Congratulations to Uli and his team for their vision and great care taken with the Midas & KT brands.

WB