Soundcraft GB8 ? No pad?

Sep 11, 2011
Hamburg, NY.
My question has to do with the lack of a pad button on this mixer. For those of you that have one or use one, is there a big issue with no pad button on it. I find myself using the pad quite a bit with my Allen & heath, and APB prodesk 8. So this gb8 not having one, is making me hesitant. Whats your findings?

Thanks,
Al

Re: Soundcraft GB8 ? No pad?

I use a number of GB series desks ranging from a GB2-24 to a GB8-40, never had an issue with not having pads. I've watched BEs push channels right into the red on the GB8 with out hearing any real loss of audio quality.

I use a number of GB series desks ranging from a GB2-24 to a GB8-40, never had an issue with not having pads. I've watched BEs push channels right into the red on the GB8 with out hearing any real loss of audio quality.

Even though there are no audio issues, I stlll feel better with a pad. And I've used a GB series console quite a bit

I have inline 20db pads available but I have never needed them in several years of use. I guess in depends on your mic kit and the signal source. I used the pads on my Allen and Heath boards quite a bit but I have never needed a pad even once on my GB4 or on the GB8 I ran for a few years.

From what I can see the gb8 gain is adjustable from 5 to 60. My apb prodesk 8 is 15 -65, and the gl2200 is 20 to 60 if memory serves me correct. So this is probably why some are not having issues.

As far as the gb 8, how are the aux's assigned pre post? Button wise and in pairs or by 4? Anyone have a close up pic of the aux section?

From what I can see the gb8 gain is adjustable from 5 to 60. My apb prodesk 8 is 15 -65, and the gl2200 is 20 to 60 if memory serves me correct. So this is probably why some are not having issues.

As far as the gb 8, how are the aux's assigned pre post? Button wise and in pairs or by 4? Anyone have a close up pic of the aux section?

If memory serves me correct because I'm not at work, there is a pre/post button next to each aux master on the GB8.

Eric, what in line pad do you use?

I believe they are made by ProCo. I have had them for years and they are a short XLR barrel that inserts between the snake XLRM and board input or somewhere like that. They come in 10db, 20db, and 30db. Here is an eBay link but I think you can most likely find a better deal or some used ones for less. Pro Co 20dB XLR Audio Microphone Pad | eBay

Spenser is correct about the pre-post button on the GB4 as well.

I bought a used gb8-32, used it tonight, there was no need for pads, so I lucked out there. The things sounds fine. Biggest complaint is no insert on the aux sends, and the aux sends are 1/4'', and the meter bridge??

Yes to all of that. I don't really understand the reason for the meter bridge either. The LED meters work just fine though. I still use my GB4 several times a month and really like the sound as well.

Ya the bridge must have been a pretty selling gimic, not needed at all. All it does is make the case have to be bigger. O well.. I like that each aux send is switchable pre or post. When I get time I'm going to build a little panel for the aux outs, with xlr and 1/4 inserts.

I thought that I'd mention that my DL1608 has no pads and but has nicely tapered gains that have plenty of range. I've had a couple inputs given me where the talent warned me that I'd need to pad it as others have had problems with the signals being too hot. No prob with the DL1608's XLR inputs. I do carry a pair of 20dB inline pads and also have the option of using my one foot XLR to TRS adapter cables so I can use the DL1608's internal 20dB pads on the line inputs on channels 13-16 - but no need so far. I originally bought the inline pads to use with a MixWiz that overloaded with the line out from a Peavey keyboard amp.

I did have one time where I had to have a guitarist turn up because I had the DL1608's gain WFO and wasn't getting a usable signal out of the mic on his amp. It really was ridiculously low but would imply that the DL1608's inputs are a bit on the "cold" side.

I thought that I'd mention that my DL1608 has no pads and but has nicely tapered gains that have plenty of range. I've had a couple inputs given me where the talent warned me that I'd need to pad it as others have had problems with the signals being too hot. No prob with the DL1608's XLR inputs. I do carry a pair of 20dB inline pads and also have the option of using my one foot XLR to TRS adapter cables so I can use the DL1608's internal 20dB pads on the line inputs on channels 13-16 - but no need so far. I originally bought the inline pads to use with a MixWiz that overloaded with the line out from a Peavey keyboard amp.

I did have one time where I had to have a guitarist turn up because I had the DL1608's gain WFO and wasn't getting a usable signal out of the mic on his amp. It really was ridiculously low but would imply that the DL1608's inputs are a bit on the "cold" side.

My Onyx 1640(same preamps) is the same way; just looked it's owners manual and the XLR inputs go down to 0dB and the 1/4 inputs go down to -20dB. I've never needed a pad with hot inputs; I use a mic pre/DI(Alesis MicTube Solo; it sounds way better than the cheap passive DIs I have) on stage as a bass DI and even with it's line level output I have no problems with the XLR inputs.

My question has to do with the lack of a pad button on this mixer. For those of you that have one or use one, is there a big issue with no pad button on it. I find myself using the pad quite a bit with my Allen & heath, and APB prodesk 8. So this gb8 not having one, is making me hesitant. Whats your findings?

Thanks,
Al

I spent a lot of time on the GB8 when it first came out. I only ran into gain problems with extremely hot sources, like pro-level CD players sending out real +18 levels. No normal stage source was a problem. I always thought that was a decent entry level board. If you need to feed it something really hot use the 1/4" ins.

I spent a lot of time on the GB8 when it first came out. I only ran into gain problems with extremely hot sources, like pro-level CD players sending out real +18 levels. No normal stage source was a problem. I always thought that was a decent entry level board. If you need to feed it something really hot use the 1/4" ins.

I've used it a few times and have been fine so far with the gains, I do have a few shure in line pads need be. This board won't get used a lot, I have a apb prodesk8, but do a lot of outdoor shows, and stuff along lake Erie beaches. If conditions look hazerdous for the apb, I'll use the gb8, this was the real reason for getting the Gb8.